Eating too many calories

Options
2»

Replies

• kristinahargraves
    kristinahargraves Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have to admit its hard to post a question like this for everyone to see my diary makes me feel embarrassed for what ive been eating. Thinking that I was trying to be healthier and really not doing it right. But it opened my eyes and you guys are right and your knowledge is appreciated!
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I have to admit its hard to post a question like this for everyone to see my diary makes me feel embarrassed for what ive been eating. Thinking that I was trying to be healthier and really not doing it right. But it opened my eyes and you guys are right and your knowledge is appreciated!

No need to be embarrassed! Learning is part of the journey :D
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options

Oh honey! No need to be embarrassed! The majority of us are here because we ate well above what you've been eating and didn't get up off the couch for a walk around the block, much less an hour+ of Zumba. (I know this is not the case for everyone and not all are here to lose weight in the first place, hence the 'majority')

You're on the right track by seeking better ideas for ways to eat. If it was something we just "knew", then we wouldn't need MFP to begin with.
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Don't be embarrassed - you are honestly logging your food and keeping good track. Try to make some of the changes people have suggested. Keep up the good fight.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options

Oh honey! No need to be embarrassed! The majority of us are here because we ate well above what you've been eating and didn't get up off the couch for a walk around the block, much less an hour+ of Zumba. (I know this is not the case for everyone and not all are here to lose weight in the first place, hence the 'majority')

You're on the right track by seeking better ideas for ways to eat. If it was something we just "knew", then we wouldn't need MFP to begin with.

Ah so true for me lol! I started exercising only a couple of months ago after not doing a damn thing for nearly 15 years! Been a bit lazy this past week but am getting back into it this weekend :D
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

No need to be embarrassed at all!

I think the majority of people here who are here to lose weight would have very similar eating habits.
  • kristinahargraves
    Options
    Thanks guys! I did join to lose weight and gain knowledge:) I will try and incorporate some of the ideas you guys gave me!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I did join to lose weight and gain knowledge:) I will try and incorporate some of the ideas you guys gave me!

Not saying you have to go crazy with the protein but cutting a little of the carbs and adding some more protein can make a big difference on how satiated or full you feel from the same amount of calories.

In my experience and the experience of pretty much everyone I've talked to protein is just more satiating per calorie and I find that many people who struggle to eat low enough calorically have a lot of either fat or carbs in their diet.
  • blg5
    blg5 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor for my workouts. If I work out in a zone of about 135-165 beats per minute I burn about 10 calories per minute so a 1hr. burn would be about 600 calories for me and I'm a big girl. If I were you I'd get my calories burned from another source than MFP. Theirs is not just over its way over. I have learned a trick to making my lunch last longer. Eat a Granny Smith Apple at the end. Something about that work's for me and even if I'm not in the mood for an apple I take a bite and can not stop eating it. I keep a bag of those things on my counter.
  • kristinahargraves
    Options
    Your right about the protein and I'm going to up the lean protein. If it makes me feel full I'm gonna give it a try!
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    In the same situation right now. Overate about 1500 cal. of cereal, nuts, and dried fruit. Ugh.

I am still training (cycling) today. But now my workout goes from 1200 cal. (about 1:50) to 2000 cal (close to 3 hours). Yikes. And yes, MFPs database for aerobic exercise is definitely inflated. I use an ergometer, which measures the actual work done on the machine (and not just an estimate from HR). The results are very humbling. It's extremely hard to burn more than 750 cal/hour at my fitness level.

I didn't eat enough protein today, nor fruit or vegetables. So I hope to learn from this. Now to the bike...
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    kristina

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. You are such a good sport and have such a good attitude!!! You are going to get this figured out in no time and be on your way DOWN!

By the way, the advice you've gotten on this thread is great!

Best of luck!
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    kristina

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. You are such a good sport and have such a good attitude!!! You are going to get this figured out in no time and be on your way DOWN!

By the way, the advice you've gotten on this thread is great!

Best of luck!

+1 :drinker:
  • janglo
    janglo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    That's why you're here : to ask the question, to read the answers/suggestions/information, and to filter for your own use. The more you investigate, the more you research, the more you experiment = the more knowledgeable you become !
  • nrheasley
    nrheasley Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am NO expert, but here's what I've learned so far:

Logging it all and realizing how much you're eating is the first step. That was what got me started--the realization.

The second was to set small goals--my normal intake averaged 1800 calories a day. So I set a goal of 1750. A week or so later, 1700. And so on and so fourth. Drastic changes don't work.

They say that 80% of weight loss is in the eating habits, and it's true. I was running a 5k several times a week and not losing a thing because I wasn't watching what I was eating. However, I do find that the exercise calories make it MUCH easier for me to stay within my calorie goals.

Now, I don't have much in my fridge except fruits and veggies. A little bit of frozen grilled chicken strips, some crackers, and some bagels. Peanut butter and ranch for occasional condiments. I plan out my meals at least a day in advanced, if not farther. It's all about goals and knowledge. Good luck!
  • CapeCodSheila
    CapeCodSheila Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what your weight is, but too much water can be dangerous. Take it from me-you can deplete your electrolytes and throw your whole system out of balance. I wound up in the ER, and had to be admitted. I was addicted to water and was drinking 1 1/2-2 gallons of water a day. too much of a good thing can be bad-who knew?? :ohwell:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    You've been doing this for three weeks, so you need to give yourself time to figure it out. Making this type of lifestyle change requires some trail and error. Just think of this as your learning curve and keep moving forward.