Xbox Kinect Exercise ?

Options
Just curious, does anyone know where to get an idea of how many calories are burned if your playing the games that don't track this ? I currently just have Dance Central and Kinect Adventures. The wife and I have played for 2 hours straight today after purchasing and I'm wore out. My arms, legs, everything is sore lol.

I'm currently just using the Wii Fit basic to low exercise to track for now. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

-Rynoman2k3

Replies

• JLeeAlton
    Options
    Best bet is to get an HRM to track your calories since it goes off of your own statistics and heart rate.

how is dance central? I have a 360 and was thinking about getting the Kinect.
  • wittlemunchkinx
    Options
    You might not ever know without someone doing experiments and what not!Playing for 2 hours has surely gotta burn some calories!
    Keep your heart rate up and make sure you get out of breath :P it means you're working it!

:D
  • lauramorris85
    Options
    Kinect Adventures is definitely a workout. my fiance's friend bought it and we went to try it out and i was sore for 2 days.
  • Rynoman2k3
    Rynoman2k3 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    In reply to the Dance Central question. The wife is awesome at it! I'm not so good, but I can do it. It's a fun game but i enjoy the Kinect Adventures more.

Also I might have to get a heart rate monitor. All I can say is for that 2 hours of playing it's now Sunday and I'm still sore lol.
  • amy_p
    amy_p Posts: 82
    Options
    We just purchased the Xbox Kinect this weekend-- I bought the dance game, and it is definitely a good workout. I estimated my calories burned by comparing it to walking or stretching. We also bought the Your Shape-- it kicked my *kitten*! I love it! And the calories are tracked for you!
  • Rynoman2k3
    Options
    We just purchased the Xbox Kinect this weekend-- I bought the dance game, and it is definitely a good workout. I estimated my calories burned by comparing it to walking or stretching. We also bought the Your Shape-- it kicked my *kitten*! I love it! And the calories are tracked for you!

I've been playing the Rallyball on Kinect Adventures and played two games at the intermediate level before work. It got my heart rate goin. If you try at that game it can kick you butt too.
  • Rynoman2k3
    Options
    Just found out there's a workout mode in Dance Central that tracks your Calories Burned. Sweeet! I'll have to try this when I get home.
  • lasia221
    lasia221 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    And yeah, I just googled for this info :)
    I wasn't playing all that long, maybe 15 minutes? I'm def sweating a little and was out of breath. Granted, yes, I'm out of shape :) No clue what I'll put it in as, though. Won't be getting my HRM for another week or so.
  • KellyAnn143
    KellyAnn143 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about getting the Kinect as well! Right now I go to Zumba classes at a gym here in town and I saw they have a Zumba game for the Kinect! It looks like everyone likes the Kinect so far and the different games for it!!
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm a female, 5'1, 118 pounds. I played Kinect Adventures and Dance Central today for 2 hours and I burned over 300 calories.
  • toni219
    Options
    I'm a female, 5'4", 176 lbs...I wear a heart rate monitor watch that also tracks my calories burned (accurate to EKG by +/- 1 bpm). I just finished playing Kinect Adventures in Adventure mode, basic level, for about 45 mins & burned over 400 calories. I play pretty hard--I try to get Platinum or Gold on every challenge & am working on unlocking all the achievements as well, & sweat is pouring off of me by the time I'm done. The Kinect is one of the best workout purchases I've made in a long time, I'm thinking about cancelling my gym membership, lol!
  • aliciamille
    Options
    Have you guys tried Kinect Sports? I did the track and field....oh my goodness! I was sore for 3 days! You sprint, do hurdles, throw the javelin and also throw the discus! My arms were SO SORE. Boxing and Beach Volleyball are also good choices. Kinect Sports is a great game that feels more like playing than working out...try it!

Do I know how many calories I burned? No :(
  • nhendri
    nhendri Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    We have it and I play the biggest loser. I love it but am soooooooo sore I can barely sit or stand. We also have the dance adventures and kinectable. We love all of them. I am need of a new battert for my hrm and cant waite to see what Im working off untill then I am tracking it as walking so if I burn extra calories sweet ( yes I eat some of them). The zumba work out is awesome too but we sent it back cuz my sister got the whole set for christmas as a gift.
  • babemakes4
    Options
    We just got dance central today and its awesome. i didnt know it tracked calories i will make sure i do that tomorrow. I played over 2 hours tonight it is a easy game/workout to get lost in and time just flys by. Cant wait to get zumba and the biggest loser one.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Kinect is really awesome! I started a thread for those of us doing EA Sports Active 2 here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/158921-ea-sports-active-2-motivation-thread-everyone-welcome

I absolutely LOVE this exergame. Kinect Sports for Track & Field sounds awesome too!!! Maybe when I get stronger I can do that.
  • Huskychemist
    Huskychemist Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I wear a HRM when I play Kinect games, and it can be quite high depending on how long I play and what games I play. Reflex Ridge on Kinect Adventures has proven the most intense of the 'regular' games.

I recently purchased My Shape: Fitness Evolved and absolutely love the Cardio Boxing workout. Using my HRM and the Calorie tracker of the game, I end up with pretty similar Calorie stats.

Have fun!
  • Alexis1227
    Options
    I know that in a regular Zumba class, you typically burn anywhere from 500-800 calories an hour. Same applies for Kinect Zumba.
    My hubby and I just got done doing a 20min session and we are dying! LOL
    I love the calorie counting feature on Dance Central!
  • SayLiLIG
    SayLiLIG Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    With the Dance central calorie tracker... I just dont feel like its right. I do a song and im totally out of breath but only burned 31 calories??? I like everyones idea about an HRM moniter... I think im gonna have to invest..
  • MrsSanthoff
    MrsSanthoff Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I just did Kinect Zumba intermediate for 50 minutes and my HRM says I burned 870 calories!
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I wear a HRM when I play Kinect games, and it can be quite high depending on how long I play and what games I play. Reflex Ridge on Kinect Adventures has proven the most intense of the 'regular' games.

I recently purchased My Shape: Fitness Evolved and absolutely love the Cardio Boxing workout. Using my HRM and the Calorie tracker of the game, I end up with pretty similar Calorie stats.

Have fun!

I agree with most of this. My experience with Your Shape's calories counted, and my HRM is that the "game" was underestimating my calories burned by as much as 33-50%.

What you burn in the other games will depend on what you are playing, and how long. Plugging the holes under water in Adventures won't burn many, but the obstacle course definitely will burn a few. I've used my HRM when playing Kinect, and definitely get some calories burned.