WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2014

Options

Replies

Options
    I'm 61 out of shape & I weigh 235. This is not the body I want. I had knee surgery & really got in bad shape. I need a my fitness pal. :flowerforyou:
  • deebee36852
    deebee36852 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello I am new to this form came across this board and it looks encouraging. I am a quadriplegic from a can accident 15 year ago. I was a 130 pounds then now being in a power chair I have got up to 170. My diet with my daughter changeling me to a no sugar for 10 days not realizing there is sugar in everything..I just weighed myself today and was surprised that I am at 158 so happy hope I can keep it up...
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Avatar and Deebee. This is a great thread to motivate and support your journey to healthiness.
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies, had my next mouth surgery yesterday morning, it was for my implant. The put in the collar? I don't know what that is all I know in 4 weeks I can have the dentist put in the fake tooth, so I won't have a gap. Been on pain pills for a couple of days, getting lots of sleep:laugh: Ate very bad after the surgery and my blood sugar is up. I know it will come back down, had bread and now I want cookies and cake and bad you name it.

Meg-happy birthday:drinker: :flowerforyou:

Well the next round of pain pills are dragging me down into sleep:yawn:

Tigress in GA
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Good evening dear ladies. It so good to come here and see new members. All the merrier for us!!! It also reminds me that we are all individuals and what has worked for me may not work for another and what works for others will not work for me. The journey helps me to discover more about myself.

We still have a large area of town out of power. Our lights flickered and I could tell that my satellite was not receiving good signal for a few seconds but all is good now. I think we have another round tomorrow though.

Yanniejannie I am so glad your daughter is OK. Sometimes our kids don't use a lot of common sense to get through finals week. But that's what kids are all about and it will be a huge learning experience for her.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Kim in N CA: Thank you for the script! I’ll do it!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Unfinishedwoman: You join by posting. You’re in! Stop by often.:flowerforyou:

Yannaiejannie: What a scare for you! I’m glad the nurse practitioner was on the ball and called you. I’ll be sending good thoughts for your daughter’s health. Perhaps she can get her finals postponed due to the medical emergency.:flowerforyou:

Cheri: How nice that you were able to celebrate your mom’s life with your sister and niece! The Mexican food was likely salty. Drink plenty of water to help wash the salt out of your system.:drinker: :drinker:

Avatar & Deebee: You just stumbled into the right group! Welcome.:flowerforyou:

Tigress: Feel better soon.:flowerforyou:

This has been a fairly quiet day. We went to the woman who is working on our fishing boat and retrieved it for the time being. She’s having some serious back problems and will likely be unable to work on it for a month. We decided it would be better to put it in storage for now. She’s a lovely person, and I hope she gets relief for her back pain. She told us about it when she took our project on. She was hoping to be able to finish before things got too bad, but that wasn’t how it turned out. Her name is Suzy. Please put her in your positive thoughts or prayers.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

May Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least two glasses of water daily.
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Picked up my new pedometer today; so excited to have another one. It really does help inspire me to take more steps. :bigsmile:
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that there is nothing like going clothes shopping to remember why you need to lose weight! I rarely look in a full-length mirror, so it can come as a shock. Swimming suits can be ego-breaking, too. Not like you didn't already know that, I'm sure! LOL

I seem to go "missing in action" from the thread a lot, so I want to thank you all for putting up with me over the past couple of years. There are several ladies on here that I truly think of as friends.

I've now lost 11 of the 14 lbs. that I regained last year, so I'm getting closer to the point of actually being able to start truly losing again, instead of playing catch-up. I've been stuck for several weeks now, though, with a lot of bloating. The eating has been okay and I come close to 10,000 steps most days.

YannieJannie -- So glad she's okay. You must have been really scared! I know that I would have been.

Teral -- Did you get a Fitbit? If so, please "friend" me on their site so that we can "walk" together.

Jane in Colorado
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody! We are having a great time in Minnesota. We went to five pottery studios today and will hit the last two tomorrow. Such fun! I bought more pottery than my hubby thought I should! Too bad.

Margaret, I'm enjoying the area even though it's not very green yet. We went to a state park today and walked around some "glacial potholes" which were pretty interesting. But we had a ticket on our car when we got back. We didn't know you had to pay for that park. Oh well. At least we got some exercise. Hubby was really impressed with me scrambling up and down those rocks. I could not have done that a year ago. Tomorrow we are going back to ride a riverboat tour. Should be fun.

There are not a lot of choices for food in this area. We tried a bistro that reeked of fish. I'm deathly allergic to fish, and hubby likes it, but not when it smells that bad, so we left there and went to an Italian place. I wound up with a personal sized wood-fired pizza that was totally delicious! No earthly idea on calories, or sodium, so I billed myself for a personal pan pizza at Pizza Hut plus added an extra 100 calories just to be safe. I only ate 3/4 of it and hubby finished it off. The crust was just wonderful! I'll probably regret it tomorrow. Tomorrow is another day!

Welcome to all the new ladies! Tell us more about yourselves! This is a very supportive group. Just jump right in! Come back often, and let us know how you are doing, or what you are having trouble with. Probably some of us can help. At the very least we can listen.

Hubby is grading papers and I'm ready for bed, wearing my tiny jammies. Goodnight all!

Sylvia
  • Robyn7762
    Robyn7762 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm new to this thread. I am 51, 52 in July. I hope you will welcome me to your group.
    I have a total of 35 lbs to lose....5 lbs. at a time.
    My goal this month is to try to walk at least 7,000 steps a day. (I have a Fitbit)
    I want to eat healthier..cut back on the Pop!
    Get more rest!

Not too hard!

Robyn, SW VA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Today I'll do an hour of HIIT on the elliptical. I wish there was some way to have some sort of "thing" that would notify me when the time for sprint/recovery was over. I have an app on my phone, but I'm afraid for one thing that the phone will drop off the elliptical and for the other thing that I won't hear the constant bells to let me know when to change time since I listen to an audiobook while I'm doing this. Maybe I'll try taking the phone into the Y with me and see if I can work it out somehow. Update: for the first time I tried 30 second sprint and 45 second recovery. Worst part was that I had to take a "rinse off the sweat" shower when I was done. Heard the tone for time change quite well, which surprised me

Tomorrow I'm planning to do this "Supreme 90 day challenge". Really, it's supposed to be like the P90X with 10 DVD's, only as I recall their "total body" one really isn't total body and these workouts are something like 20 minutes long. I want to exercise for an hour but I'll see how long each DVD is.

katla - thanks for looking that up for me about the minimum wage. So what I saw was that the mayor is working on it, it isn't a done deal. So sorry to hear your yoga teacher is having a problem with attendance

DeeDee - thanks for the tip about the vinegar/water. I have some already made up as that's what I use to clean my floors. Like you, I'm very hesitant to use harsh chemicals but mainly because we're on a septic and something like that will kill the good bacteria.

Patty - happy birthday to your gd

Liz - I'm so sorry you and hubby are going thru all this. Time DOES heal all wounds.

Beth - congrats on buying that DVD. Trust me, I'm NEVER on the beat. But I figure as long as I'm moving, then I'm doing OK

Gloria - I think I'll go in the pool for a bit and then go to Aldi for veggies. Good for you kicking Shawn T's backside!!!!

Jan - sure hope your daughter gets better fast

Vicki - You must have had a hard time finding clothes. I very rarely see anything in the stores larger than 3X. "You've come a long way baby" Son isn't invited to his own child's graduation! Unbelieveable!

After exercdising, went to Big Lots to see if they had any of Vince's bread (they didn't) then drove over to Bi-Lo where I got the veggie tray (and 5 cents towards my gas), then to IGA to get the cupcakes. They are SOOO cute. Came home and went in the pool for relaxation, then went to Penney's since I had a coupon for $10 off a $10 pruchase. Saw these earrings that I liked and the tag said they were $12. Only they were on sale for a little over $6, so I got two sets (there are 3 pairs in each set) for Jessica and Denise for Christmas. Then to Aldi to get Vince his bread. Now home, took a shower and we'll be leaving in about 45 minutes for the bowling party. I'm taking the veggie tray so I'll be good, will probably only drink water.

unfinishedwom - welcome!

Well, had the bowling party. I did really well UNTIL someone started asking me about Bryan. When I got home, as much as I didn't want to, I had a mini "pig-out" with some of the turkey cupcakes. Actually, in a way I was sad that so many other people brought desserts, I didn't want to bring home a dozen cupcakes. So I ate only the vanilla ones (fortunately, there were fewer vanilla ones than chocolate). Now I'm sorry I had the hamburger, I should have just had the onions, lettuce and tomatoes on a Nature's Own roll. Welll...live and learn. One couple gave us a gift. I didn't think it was a good idea to open it then because others would have felt bad. Also, we're not looking for a gift. Anyway, they gave us this vase in the shape of a bowling pin. To be honest, it's so tall I just put it on the mantle. It wouldn't fit into any of my cabinets.

About those cupcakes -- well, I did work out real hard today, so hopefully I burned extra calories.

Cheri - having had that hamburger in a way upset my stomach. Now I wish I hadn't had it. Plus having those cupcakes. Not good. Well, they're out of the house now. Only the chocolate ones are left, and I'm not a big chocolate eater. Vince can have those. So, yes, I'm used to not heavily sauced (ie fat) foods, and now I regret having them.

avatar - welcome. You'll get lots of fitness pals here, that's for sure

deebee - welcome. Congrats on the great loss

texasgal - what kind of pedometer did you get?

Robyn - welcome

Michele in NC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Unfinished woman, deebee36852 & avatar 888 – welcome – join on in

Yanniejannie – so glad you could be there for her – hope the instructors are understanding.

Vicki - it is jammie nsv all around!!! Congrats:flowerforyou:

Cheri – it’s hit and miss with me sometimes the fatty food is darn yummy and sometimes it’s gross or it makes me feel gross - I got fries the other day – they sounded so good – and I ate a few and they were terrible – and there wasn’t anything wrong with them they just did not suit me – the filp side is pizza is still amazing wonderful yummy…. :drinker:

Tigress – hang in there; hope you feel better soon

Katla – Glad to help; let me know how it goes :wink:

Texasgal – happy stepping!

Sylvia – so glad you are having fun!!!

Robyn – welcome – we are a chatty supportive group

So my back saga continues - I was back at the Chiropractor today - and I NEVER have these troubles - when something is out he puts it back and I'm good to go - so I was full of questions about why this was so different .... was I just getting old???:noway: and we talked about my weight loss (BTW another 2lbs this week:bigsmile: ) and he said that any weight gain or loss over 2 lbs a month is enough to make how you carry yourself differently and that your center of gravity changes and it takes a long long time for your body to fully adjust. He asked if I had fallen, been dizzy or miss judged distances and bumped into things..(no, no, yes) he said that these can be signs of really serious things, but can also be just that your body has not fully adjusted to your new size and shape. I thought of you ladies as we were talking.. he also gave me some excellent stretches that I have done 3 times today and will do at least once more that are helping a lot! He said that yoga or yoga style stretches will help your body figure out it's new size and shape --- Now I know this could be just hogwash to keep me happy, I really like this guy but he can be a bit "new age-ie" so I am taking that into consideration:laugh:

seems like there was something else I wanted to share... but can't remember what!
    Happy Weekend everyone!!!
    Kim in N. California
  • Robyn7762
    Robyn7762 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    @ Kim...chatty my goodness it's gonna take me two days to read everyone's post! :wink:

Thanks for the welcome ladies.

As I said in my first post I am 51, 52 in July. I have been on a rollercoaster ride of weight loss since....graduating high school...1980!
    Gained 25 lbs. within 2 yrs. of graduation. Gained more with each pregnancy. (two boys, 29, 31). Lost the weight, got a divorce after 17 yrs of marriage.
    Dated, remarried, gained weight, lost the weight. Divorce.
    Meet my soulmate, love at first site, while I was still married, not the reason for the divorce, the marriage was already over. #2 went to jail for probation violation and it just open the door to pursue #3.
    We dated, I moved in I started eating Southern food, I'm from Maryland moved to VA, not used to all this southern cooking. Gained 20 lbs in 2 yrs. had female surgery. Got married, gained more weight another 20 lbs, quit smoking started going to the gym, lost 20 lbs, gained 30 lbs. lost 30 lbs, gained 15 lbs. Currently at 177 lbs. Trying to get to 145 lbs. 32 lbs. to go, at 5 lbs. at a time!
    Need friends my age to cheer me on!

Have lots of stress in my life, we care for 90 yr old MIL who is suffering from dementia and it is driving us crazy. We have no time hardly for ourselves and with her being female, I have to do the bathing and dressing and it isn't easy. Tonight was a rough one. She wanted to sit up all night. The only time me and hub have together alone is between 8 pm and 12 midnight, and she wanted up the whole time, guess what she got her way. :sad:

Lots going on in my life..too much to go into detail. Lots of stress and I'm a stress eater, trying to eat healthier, one day at a time!
    My goals are to walk at least 7,000 steps a day.
    Eat better
    And to quit smoking again!
    Limit the stress! :grumble:

Well ladies it has been a long day. I'm heading to bed. :yawn: Hope to catch up on reading all your post.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,262 Member
    Options
    Hi on my phone. All good. Miss you. Exercising well so far. X X X
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Liz:smile: Sending you and hubby hugs:flowerforyou: !!!

Beth:smile: Thanks for the cleaning product tips! I`m going to look for Citrasolv. The recipe you got for cleaning the shower doors is the same recipe a lady from the Lighting store gave me to clean the crystals on the chandelier, haven`t tried it yet, but I``m going to!

Yanniejannie:smile: Hope your daughter continues to improve, how scary!!!

Janehadji:smile: Hi! So nice to see you posting again:flowerforyou: ! Congrats on getting rid of 11 pounds:bigsmile: ! I`m sure the rest will be coming off too!!!

Vicki:smile: You have me intrigued with the broom with foam in the middle, tell me more about it please!!! How does it sweep, what exactly does the foam provide, I just love floor stuff:laugh: ! Hope you`re having a wonderful graduation weekend!

Kim in N CAL :smile: Congrats on 2 more pounds gone...woo hoo:bigsmile: !!!

Tigress:smile: Ouch! Hope you`re feeling better soon:flowerforyou: !

Katla:smile: Prayers for your friend Suzy:flowerforyou: ! One of the guys that will be working on the deck is absolutely gorgeous:love: , even the dog was left speechless by him:laugh: , all the guys standing in the kitchen the day we met him was totally confused that this gorgeous man walks in and the dog just stares at him, no barking at all, and she barks at everyone:huh: , they commented on why is this dog not barking at him, I thought to myself, she knows a good thing when she sees it:tongue::laugh: .

Welcome to everyone new:flowerforyou: !!! This is such a great group of supportive women!!

I have a lunch engagement today:grumble: , I do NOT want to go:sad: . I want to stay home in my quite house and just enjoy it:ohwell: .

Have a wonderful Saturday ladies (I hope each of you gets to do exactly what you want to do today)! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in cloudy NC
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    yannie jannie! Oh my! Glad you could get up there and be with your daughter to help her through it all... and sooo glad it's not worse!
    xoxo

Ditto that!
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Well all that sleep is good, but not for my weight. I know it's water, but 6 pounds!:angry::angry: :angry: :noway:

I'm back to eating good and think I'll walk today. Blood sugar is back under control.:smile:

Tigress in GA
  • gmom316
    Options
    Good Morning!

Rolling through to wish everyone a happy day.

Looks like a nice weather day here for us. With the exception of being awakened by a violent crow attack of a robin's next in the neighbor's yard (poor robin family), it's been a pretty peaceful start to the day.

Jumped on the treadmill for a 30 walk to start the day and made my fave 300ish calorie breakfast: scrambled egg plus one white, slice of cheese, 3 slices of no nitrate deli ham, Aunt Millie's whole wheat slimwich and a slice of tomato.

Going to wrangle this boy from his Xbox to get out and enjoy some of this day. Thinking of throwing our bikes on the rack and heading out to a trail. Have to also get my cleaning and chores done so I don't have to work so hard on Mother's Day :ohwell:

Thinking of everyone with challenges, struggles and sadness and raising my glass:drinker: of Vitamin Zero to those who are celebrating victories and success.

xo-Gloria in Metro Detroit
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I can't remember exactyly the goals I wrote down, but I know they wee about training to teach Zumba. This week I sent for the materials to test for group training instructor through ACE. Expensive, but they say that it's the most accepted one. You're supposed to take about three months to go through the materials before signing up for the test.

Also, I went to two different Zumba classes to get a sense of how other people teach. One was at the Alvin Ailey extension school and it was awful. They guy that taught has a good reputation in the Zumba community, but I thought he was terrible. I did sweat from the exertion, but it wasn't a graceful choreography and I hope I can do better than that. Then I tried another class lat night and wasn't impressed either.

The instructors at my gym are fantastic and I was expecting more of the same.They spend a lot of time choreographing dances and their movements are graceful and rigorous at the same time. I'm going to try some other instructors and I hope I find some better examples.

Also, I ordered som protein powder from Amazon this week to take on the days I do strength training. I want to improve my push ups. and I think I'm not gaining muscle because I'm not getting enough protein.
  • gmom316
    Options
    In my 4-5 years of Zumba experience the thing I've learned it that, like most things, it's all a matter of personal preference. I've been to classes that others LOVE and hated the music, hated the choreography, hated everything.

I am very loyal to my fave instructor and even though she does occasionally do songs and choreo that I don't care for the thing that makes it ok is that she is ALWAYS passionate about what she's doing and she's being true to herself.

I don't do Zumba gold but if I did I know I would love lots and lots of Motown music along with the traditional Latin Zumba music/choreo.

My unsolicited advice is to follow your heart and stay true and passionate. If you're not loving it, no one else will either. :flowerforyou:

Gloria