Gardeners: What produce are you growing this season?

Options

Replies

• jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    my spaghetti squash was a bust last year.. very very small.. any suggestions on what to try this year? I am gonna try an eggplant, even though i don't usually eat eggplant
  • kerricus
    kerricus Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    So glad to find other gardeners on here!

I'm moving in July, so I'm struggling with what to plant. I've got beets, peas, a few peppers and eggplant in the ground as well as a variety of brassicas (someone threw them out, so I don't know what I'm growing). I've got arugula and broccoli seedlings still in the greenhouse.

Normally I grow a ton of different stuff--sweet potatoes and melons are favorites--but I don't have enough time to get a crop before I move.
  • ribqah
    ribqah Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes (a large variety)
    Peppers (a large variety)
    Green beans
    Peas
    Lettuce
    Spinach
    Squash (a large variety)
    Blackberries (have a couple thornless upright bushes and love them)
    Caroline raspberries
    Black cherries
    Tristar Strawberries
    Mignonette Strawberries
    Apples
    Pears
    White Currants
    Elderberries
    Mulberries
    Blueberries
    Plums
    Einslet Grapes
    Herbs (a large variety)

Newly planted this year:

Olympian Fig
    Flavor Delight Aprium
    Crimson and Gold Flowering Quince
    All-in-One Almond
    Nanking Cherry (2)
    Emerald Carpet Raspberry (2)
    Aurore grapevine
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    Green beans
    Peas
    Lettuce
    Spinach
    Squash (a large variety)
    Caroline raspberries
    Black cherries
    Tristar Strawberries
    Mignonette Strawberries
    Apples
    Pears
    White Currants
    Elderberries
    Mulberries
    Blueberries
    Plums
    Einslet Grapes
    Herbs (a large variety)

Newly planted this year:

Olympian Fig
    Flavor Delight Aprium
    All-in-One Almond
    Nanking Cherry (2)
    Aurore grapevine

:love: Ignore that shadow slinking around your property scooping tasties off bushes, trees, vines, and the ground. And it wasn't me, I swear!
  • ribqah
    Options
    :love: Ignore that shadow slinking around your property scooping tasties off bushes, trees, vines, and the ground. And it wasn't me, I swear!

Ha! It wouldn't be the first time it's happened!

Oh, and I inadvertently left the red currant bush of the newly added list. :D
  • elusive_design
    elusive_design Posts: 1,095 Member
    Options
    Tomato's, Jalepeno, Lettuce, Green Peppers, Cabbage, Potato, Zucchini, Parsnip, Basil, Oregeno, thyme, Plums, and Apples with possibly more to be added as they cross my mind.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options

Ha! It wouldn't be the first time it's happened!

Oh, and I inadvertently left the red currant bush of the newly added list. :D

I've been meaning to try currant, I never have. And I'm positive I read somewhere that when produce mysteriously disappears in the night, it's a compliment to the gardener.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    my spaghetti squash was a bust last year.. very very small.. any suggestions on what to try this year? I am gonna try an eggplant, even though i don't usually eat eggplant

If you can successfully grow pepper, then you should be fine growing eggplant. I've personally never had a problem with them (growth wise or pest wise).

I grew spaghetti squash a few years ago but since I'm not a huge fan of them and a neighbor of mine always over-plants them, they didn't make the cut the last couple of years. However, I noticed that they can be tricky to grow like the luffa gourds. They need a fairly long growing season. Here in WY, that means I have to start them indoors, not always ideal for squash since they can be finicky transplants. Put them out at least two weeks after your last frost since they are very cold intolerant.

Like all squash, they need regular water that keeps the soil damp but not water logged. Soaker hoses can be extremely useful for this. You can just soak an area each morning for 15-20 minutes before it gets hot and they should be fine for water. If you're into plasticulture, then plastic on the ground will not only help warm early spring ground (if that's an issue in your area) but it will also maintain the ground's moisture level. It also reduces the need for watering (useful in semi arid climates like mine) since far less evaporation can occur and less weeding, if using black plastic, since the weeds can't come through. Just be aware that hot mid summer temps can then backfire on you with the plastic so you might have to double mulch with something that will keep the sun from directly hitting the plastic (yard grass clippings, wood chips, etc).

Since I don't know your micro climate, there are a number of reasons why yours didn't flourish. Possibilities include:

Poor pollination due to a lack of pollinating insects
    Hard packed soil since they like loose soil. Avoid stepping in the root area and keep foot traffic to between rows
    Inconsistent water since they are water lovers.
    Or poor soil nutrients. They aren't heavy feeders but they can do with a light feeding right after the male flowers have dropped off.

However, since you said they were small, they might have been overcrowded. A lot of gourds will under-produce if the plants are too closely spaced. They need about 3 - 5 feet between parent plants. Also make sure that they are regularly weeded since, as I'm sure you already know, you don't want weeds competing for the water and nutrients.

That's about all I can think of at the moment but I hope this helps. Good luck!
  • Strokingdiction
    Options
    So glad to find other gardeners on here!

I'm moving in July, so I'm struggling with what to plant. I've got beets, peas, a few peppers and eggplant in the ground as well as a variety of brassicas (someone threw them out, so I don't know what I'm growing). I've got arugula and broccoli seedlings still in the greenhouse.

Normally I grow a ton of different stuff--sweet potatoes and melons are favorites--but I don't have enough time to get a crop before I move.

I can understand the time crunch. Carrots and radishes are quick growers, some varieties more than other, so if you like those you might be able to add them to your patch and get a harvest out of them before you have to move.

Good luck with the move!
  • Strokingdiction
    Options
    Green beans
    Peas
    Lettuce
    Spinach
    Squash (a large variety)
    Caroline raspberries
    Black cherries
    Tristar Strawberries
    Mignonette Strawberries
    Apples
    Pears
    White Currants
    Elderberries
    Mulberries
    Blueberries
    Plums
    Einslet Grapes
    Herbs (a large variety)

Newly planted this year:

Olympian Fig
    Flavor Delight Aprium
    All-in-One Almond
    Nanking Cherry (2)
    Aurore grapevine

I think I'm jealous of your growing environment based on some of those. Figs! I wish I could.
  • Strokingdiction
    Options
    Tomato's, Jalepeno, Lettuce, Green Peppers, Cabbage, Potato, Zucchini, Parsnip, Basil, Oregeno, thyme, Plums, and Apples with possibly more to be added as they cross my mind.

A very respectable variety. Good luck!
  • wehave4
    wehave4 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes
    Green Beans
    Squash
    Okra
    Strawberries
    Basil
    Parsley
    Mint
    Dill
  • TheNoLeafClover
    TheNoLeafClover Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Asparagus, Apples, White Potatoes, Russet Potatoes, Cucumbers, Spaghetti Squash, Zucchini, Pumpkins, Hungarian Wax Peppers, Jalapeno Peppers, Bell Peppers, Spinach, Cabbage, Lettuce, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Sun Sugar Tomatoes, Roma Tomatoes, Cherokee Purple Tomatoes, White & Purple Onions, Parsley, Basil, Oregano, Peppermint, Spearmint, Catnip, Sweet Peas, Green Beans, Great Northern Beans, Red Raspberries, Blueberries, Grapes, Peaches, Plums, Cherries and Strawberries
  • ribqah
    Options

If you like spaghetti squash, you might try growing a variety of spaghetti squash called Small Wonder -- it's a "personal-sized" spaghetti squash (the right size for one to two people), so it doesn't need as long a season as the regular-sized spaghetti squash. I direct-sowed seeds for that one last year and got a really good germination rate -- the vines did really well growing up the garden fence.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    The local green house went out of business so we're looking for a new place but we picked up some Brussel sprout plants. Apparently there used to be a massive asparagus farm out around here when my folks were young but now it's all houses and we're paying at least 2.00 a pound for asparagus. Our land just isn't right for growing it sadly.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Blueberries for the first time ever, jicama, wing beans, celery, papaya, spring onions, fancy lettuces, corn, silverbeet, tomatoes, bell peppers, kale, passionfruit, limes, kaffir limes, mandarines and all sorts of herbs including a tropical version of cilantro/corriander.

I'm in tropical Australia.
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Diverticulitis has affected my gardening. No corn or tomatoes for me. I'm growing:

Eggplane
    Squash, butternut and spaghetti
    Spinach
    Beets
    Lettuce
    Watermelon
    Cucumbers
    Carrots
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I forgot the eggplant/aubergine. The thin sort.
  • ribqah
    Options
    I think I'm jealous of your growing environment based on some of those. Figs! I wish I could.

Well, I'm in the NW, so when it comes to some fruit trees, I do have to choose my varieties carefully in order to have any success -- the Olympian fig, for example, was discovered in this area and, unlike many figs, is cold-hardy and a reliable producer in cool/coastal climates.

Fortunately, I'm trained in Google Fu. :happy:
  • Strokingdiction
    Options

Well, I'm in the NW, so when it comes to some fruit trees, I do have to choose my varieties carefully in order to have any success -- the Olympian fig, for example, was discovered in this area and, unlike many figs, is cold-hardy and a reliable producer in cool/coastal climates.

Fortunately, I'm trained in Google Fu. :happy:

The google fu is strong with you.

Maybe I'll look into a varietal that can survive here, though I won't hold my breath. What I need is a miniature variety so I could add it to my orchard of two trees, one mini orange and one mini lemon, that make the circuit from indoor to outdoor depending on the season and overnight temps.