A few questions

Options

Replies

• Tomboly1
    Tomboly1 Posts: 42
    Options
    I'd say the bruising may be something you should check with a doctor about. You may have a blood disorder or vitamin deficiency of some sort. Some lab tests could validate that. The bruising and weakness/lack of stamina could also be related.
  • PeacefulBalance
    PeacefulBalance Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    eat a bunch of bananas or avocados for the bruising. A 5K sucks no matter how you cut it. I did a 22 minute one last fall and it was terrible...

Thank you!! :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    how fast do you run ?

Not that fast, I'm quite slow these days haha about 10 minutes a mile :/

Actually that's pretty fast. Well, at least for me and I'm still a beginner (completed the time portion of C25K but not the mileage). I'm slowly working on increasing speed from 4.0/4.2 lol.

Maybe as someone else said, slow it down so you can actually get the 5K, then work on speed.
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    I'd say the bruising may be something you should check with a doctor about. You may have a blood disorder or vitamin deficiency of some sort. Some lab tests could validate that. The bruising and weakness/lack of stamina could also be related.

I will definitely have vitamin levels looked at!! Other blood levels have been fine it I need to get micronutrients checked!
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    how fast do you run ?

Actually that's pretty fast. Well, at least for me and I'm still a beginner (completed the time portion of C25K but not the mileage). I'm slowly working on increasing speed from 4.0/4.2 lol.

Maybe as someone else said, slow it down so you can actually get the 5K, then work on speed.

I will try working on that! Thank you :)
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Let me add that I just looked at your diary. It really doesn't look like your fueling your body for your exercise. Maybe the run isn't just about speed, but rather the fact you don't seem to be getting enough to eat. There are days you are netting below 1200, not to mention eating very low (600, etc).
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    Let me add that I just looked at your diary. It really doesn't look like your fueling your body for your exercise. Maybe the run isn't just about speed, but rather the fact you don't seem to be getting enough to eat. There are days you are netting below 1200, not to mention eating very low (600, etc).

I know, I've been struggling a but these last couple of days, but usually I eat better and then have a string cheese and a grain after! I usually do better :)
  • PikaKnight
    Options

I know, I've been struggling a but these last couple of days, but usually I eat better and then have a string cheese and a grain after! I usually do better :)

I saw you are still struggling with recovery a little. Are you still working with a team or a counselor by chance? If not, would you consider doing so again? Maybe just having that extra support will help you overall :)

And kudos to you for pushing forward with your goals and success :) I totally get set backs. Old habits can be such a pain..but slowly we are able to get passed them :)
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options

I saw you are still struggling with recovery a little. Are you still working with a team or a counselor by chance? If not, would you consider doing so again? Maybe just having that extra support will help you overall :)

And kudos to you for pushing forward with your goals and success :) I totally get set backs. Old habits can be such a pain..but slowly we are able to get passed them :)

Yep! I still have a dietitian and therapist that I see! We are trying to get me back to the healthy weight I was at last summer! I tend to eat less when stressed out and it's been an intense few months for me. I'm hoping that as I increase my calories I can end up toning and getting in shape at the same time.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    how fast do you run ?

10 mins / mile is quite quick for a new runner - drop it back to 5.5 mph and see how you do
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    how fast do you run ?

10 mins / mile is quite quick for a new runner - drop it back to 5.5 mph and see how you do

Ok! Will do! Thanks :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Good luck OP it seems like u have a lot of good answers here and a great capacity to implement them.:flowerforyou:

i hope you get to feeling better soon.
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    Good luck OP it seems like u have a lot of good answers here and a great capacity to implement them.:flowerforyou:

i hope you get to feeling better soon.

Thank you so much! You're so sweet! :) all these answers are VERY helpful and I plan on incorporating them! Definitely!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm just here because I heard someone new was asking questions, receiving reasonable answers, and planning to act on them. This news brings a tear of happiness to my eye.

Best of luck, OP. I love your attitude towards this that you've shown in this thread.

PS: I completely agree with (and personally struggle with) the slow down advice.
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    I'm just here because I heard someone new was asking questions, receiving reasonable answers, and planning to act on them. This news brings a tear of happiness to my eye.

Best of luck, OP. I love your attitude towards this that you've shown in this thread.

PS: I completely agree with (and personally struggle with) the slow down advice.

Thank you so much!! That means a lot :) and I definitely plan on using all of this advice! I want to reach my goals and all of this support makes it possible! Thanks everyone!!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    You've gotten great advice here, so I need not add anything else. Best of luck with your recovery! :flowerforyou:
  • PriscillaLaine
    PriscillaLaine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It may have already been said, but have you been checked for Anaemia? I'm Anaemic and am constantly covered in bruises/also get really fatigued and lethargic, even when not doing any exercise (seriously, some days I can't even get out of bed!) It could be worth getting full set of blood tests done.

Good luck with everything!
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    You've gotten great advice here, so I need not add anything else. Best of luck with your recovery! :flowerforyou:

Thanks so much!! You are too kind!!
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    It may have already been said, but have you been checked for Anaemia? I'm Anaemic and am constantly covered in bruises/also get really fatigued and lethargic, even when not doing any exercise (seriously, some days I can't even get out of bed!) It could be worth getting full set of blood tests done.

Good luck with everything!

Thanks so much for the suggestion!! They've checked for that and everything is always normal :/
    It's smart to get blood tests done consistently for me though so I will keep checking on that! Thank you!! :)
  • ribqah
    ribqah Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Drinking fluids may be part of the problem I guess :/ I just didn't think it would make me that weak and sick!

Being dehydrated can definitely make you weak, nauseous...dizzy, too. I can always tell if I haven't had enough water when I start doing a higher-intensity workout.

Everyone here has given you excellent advice, so I don't have much more to add, but good luck to you. I hope you start feeling better and stronger soon.