So you want to start running

Options

Replies

• palomino698
    palomino698 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Bump, thanks OP for a really helpful guide.
  • stacyjbaker1010
    stacyjbaker1010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
    Thank you!
    THANK YOU!
  • bsesender
    bsesender Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    is there some specific music (pandora stations for running, or relaxation or whatever) that can help a new runner slow down to what is an appropriate speed? i can't get past day 1 after two days. can't even get half through i'm so winded..:(
  • emily1370
    emily1370 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    is there some specific music (pandora stations for running, or relaxation or whatever) that can help a new runner slow down to what is an appropriate speed? i can't get past day 1 after two days. can't even get half through i'm so winded..:(

Cadence is supposed to be 180 per minute, if you find you are winded try shortening your stride. It may seem ridiculous to take little shuffling steps but you will go slower. Or you can take walking breaks until your cardiovascular system catches up.

Keeping cadence fast like this forces the shorter stride and theoretically prevents heel striking by keeping the foot under the body when it hits the ground, which is supposed to prevent injury.

Of course a few days/weeks back there was an article she (OP) mentioned about heel strikers not having more injury so need to read that article.

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/large-us-army-study-foot-strike-doesnt-affect-injury-rate

And yes there is an app, but can't remember the name, it has a bunch of music at a specific BPM, you can select whatever BMP you want. I will post when I can find it.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Looks like the study was just a poster with no more details than what was in the abstract:
    Presentation Abstract

Session: F-31-Running
    Friday, May 30, 2014, 1:00 PM - 6:00 PM
    Presentation: 2977 - Footstrike Patterns do not Influence Running Related Overuse Injuries in U.S. Army Soldiers
    Pres. Time: Friday, May 30, 2014, 3:30 PM - 5:00 PM
    Category: 0402. Biomechanics and Neural Control of Movement - sport biomechanics
    Keywords: footstrike; soldier; injury
    Author(s): Bradley J. Warr1, Rebecca E. Fellin1, Peter N. Frykman1, Shane G. Sauer1, Donald L. Goss2, Joseph F. Seay1. 1U.S. Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine, Natick, MA. 2U.S. Army Medical Department Center and School, Ft. Sam Houston, TX. (Sponsor: Dr Edward J Zambraski, FACSM)
    Abstract: Advocates of barefoot and minimalist running have speculated that there is a relationship between footstrike patterns (FSP) and injuries. Specifically, they assert that forefoot and midfoot-strike (non heelstrike, NHS) patterns result in fewer injuries when compared to heelstrike (HS) patterns. The majority of civilian runners demonstrate a HS pattern, but there is minimal data on FSP distribution between sexes. There are no large studies evaluating differences in injury profiles between HS and NHS. Soldiers in the US Army run as a requirement of their chosen occupation. Due to high musculoskeletal injury rates in soldiers, a better understanding of the potential relationship between FSP and injury could be beneficial to the military services. PURPOSE: To characterize FSP distributions in soldiers, examine differences between sexes, and determine relationship between FSP and training related injury for male and female soldiers. METHODS: 1027 soldiers (26.1± 6 y/o) from five different military bases participated. Each soldier ran through a designated lane at a typical training pace and then completed a survey about training habits and retrospective injury incidence. Two clinicians experienced with musculoskeletal injury classified reported injuries from the prior year as acute or overuse. Multiple footstrikes were recorded in the sagittal plane using a high-definition video camera. The association between FSP, sex and overuse injury (OI) were analyzed using Chi-square tests. RESULTS: The majority of all Soldiers were HS runners (83% v 17% NHS), with no significant difference in FSP distribution by gender (female=232, 85% HS v 15% NHS; male=795, 82% HS v 18% NHS; p =.30). There was no significant difference in the reporting of at least one OI in the past 12 months (15% v 18%, p=.58) between NHS and HS runners. Although women more frequently reported OI than males (27% v 14%, p≤.001), FSP was not related to OI within either sex.CONCLUSIONS: This large cohort demonstrated a similar relationship between FSP distribution and injury, regardless of gender. Self-reported OI did not differ between HS and NHS groups.

Disclosures: B.J. Warr: None.
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options

This may sound silly but I mouth the words of the song I am listening to when I feel I am going too fast - if I cant mouth the words I slow down a bit.

I also have a garmin and pay attention to my pace and keep it in a certain range depending upon the type of run I am doing. Just started traing for my first full marathon a week ago and I am training to finish in 4 so I have been really keeping an eye on pace :) Cheers.
  • hospitablegirl
    hospitablegirl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Well I learned something today. Thank you. :)
  • Edmond_Dantes
    Edmond_Dantes Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna go for a run now. Thanks, for the informative post!
  • stacy71773
    stacy71773 Posts: 27
    Options
    Awesome post...thank you!!!!
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Thanks, save for later
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Excellent summary! I hope these comments aren't duplicates.

Speed: you should be able to talk when running, unless it is a special interval training for speed, from what I hear. No extreme huffing and puffing other than deep enough breathing to give the body enough oxygen to burn.

Sidestitches: If possible don't eat or drink close to running. Deep breaths during warming up should bring more oxygen to the diaphragm; during running the gastrointestinal tract doesn't get as much blood and so the diaphragm might "clench" to a sidestitch. If that happens, see if walking helps and/or breathing deeply and/or pushing against the hurting spot with a hand. The last option usually helps me. And slow down in general as has been said (yet it has to be repeated), sidestitches are a newbie plague.

Running form and "natural" running: This article is extremely interesting and I hope every runner reads it!
    http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/the-whole-body-fix

Happy running and please note we have a C25K group!
  • deedeefelldown
    deedeefelldown Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Kade6685
    Kade6685 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • EmGetsFit
    EmGetsFit Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I love this! So helpful & thorough. I'm still a beginner jogger so I appreciate all the tips. Thanks for posting.
  • Marlitharn
    Marlitharn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Popping in to testify. I started running again in late Feburary after slacking off all winter (I started running last spring but then screwed up my back in September), and I have never been able to run more than a quarter mile, and by then I'm gasping and wheezing and feeling like my calves were about to stage an armed revolt. Yesterday I decided to slow my roll way, way down - from a 14ish minute mile to a 17ish minute mile - and I jogged a whole mile without stopping for the very first time! And THEN I walked for a couple of minutes and jogged another half!

Thing is, I thought I was going crazy slow the whole time, but turned out I could go slower. Today's my rest day, but I can't wait to get back out tomorrow and do it again - turtles may pass me but I don't care. I'll work on speed later.
  • Andiebeanluvsu
    Andiebeanluvsu Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I started Week 2 tonight of the C25K app. I am loving it! It's a lot easier then I thought and I wish I had gotten into running a lot earlier!
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump for useful information! Thanks!
  • freya33
    freya33 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Only just found this topic; it is great. I have been off running over the winter... too cold, too wet, too busy too good at excuses!!
    I have a place on the Great North Run, entered in a fit of enthusiasm watching it on TV presuming it was so oversubscribed I would not get a place. Then I could say I did try.... but I got a place! Now my work load have become much smaller I have time to get fitter.
    I have read the posts and realised after so long a gap I cannot run as I did last year. Slow and steady increase.
    This topic has been so helpful. Thank you everyone, now it is trainers on and get going.