So you want to start running

Options

Replies

• JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Great post. Thanks for taking the time to write this up!
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Awesome post - bump!

Most of this advice is what I have heard from a few people when I started running, although I didn't know about the running knickers!

Thanks!
  • kate0309
    kate0309 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Awesome post. Thanks!
  • BraidedKitteness
    BraidedKitteness Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Friend and I are doing C25K (end of week 2) and this is great advice! Commenting so that I can find it in the future. ^.^
  • AZ0310
    AZ0310 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the information!
  • Crystald12342010
    Crystald12342010 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    BUMP FOR LATER USE
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    As a fellow runner, this is fabulous advice for a beginner! I seriously lol'd at "you have an opinion on socks, congrats, you're a runner". We all know swiftwick vibes are the best, right?;)
  • DonaldA1968
    DonaldA1968 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. The advice in here got me through the C25k program.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    As a fellow runner, this is fabulous advice for a beginner! I seriously lol'd at "you have an opinion on socks, congrats, you're a runner". We all know swiftwick vibes are the best, right?;)

Balegas or GTFO

:laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Very helpful. Thanks.
  • ublanchard
    Options
    thanks for the info!!
  • ublanchard
    Options
    I'd also like to add that I hear from a lot of people who think that they are too fat to run. They try it, it's hard, and they think that the reason is due to weight. It's not, running is just hard when you start. There is no way around it. The advice from OP is universal, because the issues are universal. Slow down, be patient, it WILL get easier.

When I started a year and a half ago, I weighed about 70lbs more than I do now. Since then, I have gone from agonizing through the 30 second intervals in a C25K program to my planned run today, which is about 13 miles. They won't be 13 miles that I struggle through, either. There will be times, of course (stupid hills), but most of it I will thoroughly enjoy. It really does get easier. Just stick with it and make it through the first few weeks. Don't add too much too soon (guilty). The running has made to my cardiovascular health is amazing. My blood pressure at my last checkup was around 107/67, not too shabby for a woman who still weighs over 200 lbs. Even better, I've found an activity that I dearly love and makes me feel alive.

This is great to hear, thanks for sharing. When you say slow down, do you mean literally run slower, or to do shorter runs/smaller intervals in C25K?
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to add that I hear from a lot of people who think that they are too fat to run. They try it, it's hard, and they think that the reason is due to weight. It's not, running is just hard when you start. There is no way around it. The advice from OP is universal, because the issues are universal. Slow down, be patient, it WILL get easier.

When I started a year and a half ago, I weighed about 70lbs more than I do now. Since then, I have gone from agonizing through the 30 second intervals in a C25K program to my planned run today, which is about 13 miles. They won't be 13 miles that I struggle through, either. There will be times, of course (stupid hills), but most of it I will thoroughly enjoy. It really does get easier. Just stick with it and make it through the first few weeks. Don't add too much too soon (guilty). The running has made to my cardiovascular health is amazing. My blood pressure at my last checkup was around 107/67, not too shabby for a woman who still weighs over 200 lbs. Even better, I've found an activity that I dearly love and makes me feel alive.

This is great to hear, thanks for sharing. When you say slow down, do you mean literally run slower, or to do shorter runs/smaller intervals in C25K?

I mean literally slow down your running speed. Running is less efficient than walking (burns more energy to do), so even if you are running at what is generally considered a walking pace, it's still progress. Once you can get your endurance up, then you can worry about speed. But run for those intervals, even if you have to go at what feels like a snail's pace to do it. Once you get that down, and have some miles behind you, you can start thinking about speeding up. But really, just try to run for the intervals at first.

I'm still the world's slowest runner (I share the title, actually, we rule the slow runners together as co-queens). But, I'm getting faster. It comes with time.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I mean literally slow down your running speed. Running is less efficient than walking (burns more energy to do), so even if you are running at what is generally considered a walking pace, it's still progress. Once you can get your endurance up, then you can worry about speed. But run for those intervals, even if you have to go at what feels like a snail's pace to do it. Once you get that down, and have some miles behind you, you can start thinking about speeding up. But really, just try to run for the intervals at first.

I'm still the world's slowest runner (I share the title, actually, we rule the slow runners together as co-queens). But, I'm getting faster. It comes with time.

Just want to vouch for this advice. I was having a terrible time progressing because I thought that I ought to be doing a 12 min mile (it's the slowest speed in the database) and I had hit a wall as far as how much distance I could get at that pace. Thanks to Otter and a couple of others I slowed down to about a 13:30-14:00 pace and immediately could run twice as far. Now my speed is improving.
  • NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I finally had to admit that was my problem also. Wanting run at a "runner's speed", I continually pushed myself too far and had to recover after every attempt, therefore making little to no progress. Just started couch to 5K to FORCE myself to take it slower in order to get through the whole thing. I'm sure there will be days or weeks that I have to repeat to get it, and that's okay. I'll get there. Patience is something I'm having to learn along this weight loss path...
  • Aquamum9
    Aquamum9 Posts: 51
    Options
    This is an amazing post, and everything in it is so well said and accurate! Thank you for taking the time to lay it all out. You are always so helpful to the world of MFP. You rock my socks off. :flowerforyou:
  • ublanchard
    Options

That's what I thought you meant, but I am such a running noob I was unsure. And self conscious about my slowness. Thank you!
    Just want to vouch for this advice. I was having a terrible time progressing because I thought that I ought to be doing a 12 min mile (it's the slowest speed in the database) and I had hit a wall as far as how much distance I could get at that pace. Thanks to Otter and a couple of others I slowed down to about a 13:30-14:00 pace and immediately could run twice as far. Now my speed is improving.
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

Oh yeah, that is what I do. I run at basically the fastest speed I can maintain for the interval. After the end of a 20 minute C25K session I am shattered. I have to take it down a notch, which is kinda funny because I thought I was on the lowest rung.

Thank you everyone! MFP is more helpful than any other resource I have seen for weight loss and fitness.
  • Linda_Lou_62
    Linda_Lou_62 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    great stuff. marking the page so I can come back and read.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Bump. Still still needs to be pinned.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    bump