To much protein makes you gain???

Options

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is the key. Now when it comes to too much protein, you're not going to gain weight if you're still in a deficit, and your body just excretes the excess protein. This isn't a big deal if it happens on occasion, but eating significantly more protein than you need over a long period of time can be a bit taxing on your kidneys.

*edited to say that was my understanding form the Nutrition course I just took, but I'm still learning, and there are some great resources if you google scholar it.
    This is somewhat misleading in that the amount of protein one would need to consume to damage the kidneys would be extremely high and it would need to go on for several years. Most people simply wouldn't have the stomach to eat enough protein to cause damage to the kidneys.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit causes weight loss no matter what your macronutrient intake looks like. Calorie surplus makes you gain weight no matter what your macronutrient intake looks like. Idk what you've "heard through the grapevine" but you cannot gain muscle mass on a calorie deficit, so either eat at a surplus to gain weight and build muscle, eat at a deficit to lose weight and cut fat, or eat at maintenance to hold the weight you have and recomp.
    That^^^
    Calorie deficit causes weight loss no matter what your macronutrient intake looks like. Calorie surplus makes you gain weight no matter what your macronutrient intake looks like. Idk what you've "heard through the grapevine" but you cannot gain muscle mass on a calorie deficit, so either eat at a surplus to gain weight and build muscle, eat at a deficit to lose weight and cut fat, or eat at maintenance to hold the weight you have and recomp.

Do you think it is possible for someone to cycle calorie and be able to gain muscle mass and lose fat?
    Calorie cycling will have no different effects as opposed to having a consistent macronutrient target day in and day out. At the end of the week it will average out to the same thing.

I disagree but its ok.

It's cool if you disagree, but you're wrong...if you cycle calories, you're basically running at maintenance in the aggregate meaning that you're doing recomposition which is a very slow way to lose fat and gain muscle simultaneously. You can't trick your body...
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options

I disagree but its ok.

It's cool if you disagree, but you're wrong...if you cycle calories, you're basically running at maintenance in the aggregate meaning that you're doing recomposition which is a very slow way to lose fat and gain muscle simultaneously. You can't trick your body...
    ^^^that right there ^^^
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is the key. Now when it comes to too much protein, you're not going to gain weight if you're still in a deficit, and your body just excretes the excess protein. This isn't a big deal if it happens on occasion, but eating significantly more protein than you need over a long period of time can be a bit taxing on your kidneys.

*edited to say that was my understanding form the Nutrition course I just took, but I'm still learning, and there are some great resources if you google scholar it.
    This is somewhat misleading in that the amount of protein one would need to consume to damage the kidneys would be extremely high and it would need to go on for several years. Most people simply wouldn't have the stomach to eat enough protein to cause damage to the kidneys.

Agreed:
    The kidneys are involved in nitrogen excretion, and thus it has been theorized by some that a high nitrogen intake (protein) may cause stress to the kidneys. Additionally, low protein diets have typically been recommended to people who suffer from renal disorders. To conclude that a high protein intake damages the kidney is very tenuous however. A study examining bodybuilders with protein intakes of 2.8g/kg vs. well trained athletes with moderate protein intakes revealed no significant differences in kidney function between the groups.1 Additionally, a review of the scientific literature on protein intake and renal function concluded that “there is no reason to restrict protein in healthy individuals.” Furthermore, the review concluded that not only does a low protein intake NOT prevent the decline in renal function with age, it may actually be the major cause of the decline!2 This conclusion is supported by the fact that low proteins diets have NOT been shown to be beneficial for blunting the progression of chronic renal failure.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

I disagree but its ok.

^^^that right there ^^^

Don't knock till you try. I have tried all kinds of weight loss plan. Now I found one that works.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    calorie cycle do right can also increase metabolism.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    So, then the goal would be to get what you need based on your weight and activity levels right? As, excess protein just plain gets excreted. You don't "hang onto it for later" so, what would be the point in consuming way over your needs on a regular basis? Maybe I am missing the point?
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    No.

Too much protein does not make you gain weight.

Too many CALORIES make you gain weight.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    calorie cycle do right can also increase metabolism.

Do you have studies for all these things you've said on here. Genuinely asking because interested to read.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

I disagree but its ok.

^^^that right there ^^^

Don't knock till you try. I have tried all kinds of weight loss plan. Now I found one that works.

You trick your body to get out of a plateau. That why people changes workouts because body gets used to it. So If im wrong but it works then I will keep doing the wrong thing.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    So, then the goal would be to get what you need based on your weight and activity levels right? As, excess protein just plain gets excreted. You don't "hang onto it for later" so, what would be the point in consuming way over your needs on a regular basis? Maybe I am missing the point?
    Too much protein, which causes a calorie excess would be converted to body fat. The nitrogen is released in the urine. But, protein, fat and carbs can all be converted into fat.
    It used to be thought that excess protein is hrd on the kidneys but that has been disproven, at least with normal kidney function.
    All the people doing Atkins and ketosis have found that high protein/high fat is a great way to decrease appetite and lose weight.
    In the literature there is some evidence that low carb diets do work better than simply counting calories. Probably due to the appetite suppression.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Personally I've found that too much protein does make me gain on the scale and fast. During maintenance I decided to keep my calories the same but up my protein from 80g ( I only have around 80lbs of lean mass) to between 100-120g a day as I was training hard. I found I gained a couple of lbs a week which obviously couldn't be muscle and my waist increased by over 2 inches. After 3 or 4 weeks I was getting discouraged and I dropped the protein back down, the weight and inches came off again. As I said, this has been my personal experience and I'm no expert on these matters. I think the trick with any change to diet or exercise regime is to monitor what is happening to your body and adjust accordingly.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options

I see what you are saying. In my Nutrition textbook it basically stated that excessive protein over a long period of time could be hard on the kidneys and that more research was needed. Then I read these two articles: http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/2/1/25
    http://www.jbc.org/content/71/1/139.short
    And what I got from these articles is that excessive protein doesn't appear to be an issue with a healthy person. I also, don't see a point i constant excessive consumption though because you just get rid of it when you pee.
    I think I am understanding this correctly, but I'm open and interested in learning.
    But, I guess back to the original question, calorie surplus is what causes weight gain.
  • pechepanda
    pechepanda Posts: 7,939 Member
    Options
    protein has a lot of calories so it can,
    it depends on how much muscle you have
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-7-S1-P21.pdf
    just a little study I found about calorie cycling. I do not have article saved because I have done so much research in the pass and which is the reason why exercise science is my new minor.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I eat at least my body weight in protein since I started lifting, and I am still eating in a deficit to lose. My loss has slowed down because I also started eating more, but maintaining a smaller deficit as I get closer to my goal. It is good to keep your muscle, harder to get it back than to keep it in the first place.

me to except I eat about 120g based on LBM but I do treat that as a minumum.

My loss has slowed as well...upped to 1800 recently.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I have seen moderate gains in muscle mass while losing weight. Nothing spectacular. though. I do agree that it is best to take a focused approach. And target fat loss or muscle growth separately. There is a reason bodybuilders use a bulk/cut cycle. That being said while I haven't seen much muscle growth I have seen significant improvements in muscle strength and stamina. And the muscle is harder and less jelly like to feel when tensed. So it's not as if lifting while losing weight has no muscular benefit. Let alone what it does for your metabolic hormones. And your sex drive. I tells ya I get horny as a randy goat after a decent lifting session.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-7-S1-P21.pdf
    just a little study I found about calorie cycling. I do not have article saved because I have done so much research in the pass and which is the reason why exercise science is my new minor.

The study doesn't mention whether this is "better" than when keeping at a steady deficit. It's comparisons are more within itself based on one group doing calorie cycling on high carbs versus high protein.