The REAL Five Foods That Lead To Belly Fat!

Options

Replies

• whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    I hate how Cauliflower gets such a bad rap. It's so good for tightening up your skin as you lose. Everyone hates it, and it stinks when you cook it, sure, but there's a reason some people lose 100 lb and look great, and others need surgery for the excess skin. I'll keep my daily cauliflower, thanks.

However, let me give you my "big five":
    a. Hot Dogs
    b. Licorice of course
    c. Brussel Sprouts
    d. Head Cheese
    e. Bologna

Cauliflower helps tighten lose skin?? :huh:

Explain please.
    I learn so much on MFP forum threads. SOOOOOOO MUCH.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    not sure if trolling...

there are no foods which lead to belly fat. you cant even spot reduce in the first place. if you want to lose belly fat you're going to have to lose fat overall. you cant choose a certain area to lose fat, and eating specific magic foods is certainly a myth

Oh-really-gif_1.gif
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I happen to love black licorice. However, let me give you my "big five":
    a. Organ meats
    b. Milk chocolate
    c. "the whites": Bread, rice, potatoes
    d. gravy and mayo
    e. Anything manufactured by Frito Lay

enough-internet-cat.gif
  • JenniferPlus2
    JenniferPlus2 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    8 ½ out of 10 scientists agree with outlawing all 5.

I wanna see the 1/2 scientist
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I hate how Cauliflower gets such a bad rap. It's so good for tightening up your skin as you lose. Everyone hates it, and it stinks when you cook it, sure, but there's a reason some people lose 100 lb and look great, and others need surgery for the excess skin. I'll keep my daily cauliflower, thanks.

a. Hot Dogs
    b. Licorice of course
    c. Brussel Sprouts
    d. Head Cheese
    e. Bologna

Explain please.

Agreed. Otherwise I'm calling Shenanigans on this.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

lolwut?
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Agreed!

tumblr_n4xhu51JqC1qewacoo1_500.jpg
  • slrose
    slrose Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    while i personally enjoy celery raw or cooked...these crazies must be referring to only raw celery. i would like to see one good chicken soup, minestrone, vegtable broth or egg salad made without it....might i also add that bloody marys would be a sad thing without celery salt, and many recipes (including porketta) would seem a bit lacking without the seed
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My big 5 has to be

1) Sugar
    2) Wheat and associated products (bread, pasta etc..)
    3) Potatoes and other starchy nasties
    4) Fruit Juice and Sodas
    5) Anything with low fat, 0% fat, 99% fat free etc... on the label.

All will make your belly bigger in a bad way.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options

a. Hot Dogs
    b. Licorice of course
    c. Brussel Sprouts
    d. Head Cheese
    e. Bologna

Explain please.

Cauliflower contains the most bio-available L-Glutathione, which is amazing for skin. It has many different effects on the skin, all positive. It's one of the few foods that contain it.

People pay a serious premium for it from health food stores and such, not realizing it can be eaten, and absorbed by your body easier than the pills.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

post-32278-doctor-who-OH-NO-YES-NO-gif-Da-1YRa_zps3f133de9.gif

Edit: I'm out of practice
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Black licorice does NOT lead to belly fat! It's too gross for anyone to eat. It's the strawberry kind that causes belly fat. I'd post a picture to prove it, but I don't want to. It's also too gross. Granted, I did eat strawberry Twizzlers by the bag. But I stand by my statement.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Great entertainment! That's all... :laugh:
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    L-Glutathione: Glutathione is a substance produced naturally by the liver. It is also found in fruits, vegetables, and meats.
    Glutathione is involved in many processes in the body, including tissue building and repair, making chemicals and proteins needed in the body, and for the immune system.

Googled it.

Seems to be a wonder supplement that can have affects on cataracts, glaucoma, heart disease, liver disease, Aids, chronic fatigue, memory loss, Alzheimers, osteoarthritis, Parkinson's, male infertility, maintaining the immune system, cystic fibrosis, anemia, fighting metal and drug poisoning and (of course!) treating diabetes.

Also found reference to L-Glutathione soap being popular in Japan and the Philippines for skin whitening.

Has anyone told Dr. Oz. :tongue: :laugh:
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    Finding a good source to back the claim is wildly difficult, but I can say at least a couple of very pricy high-end skin-firming creams use it in their creams.

Well, cauliflower is a readily available, nutrient-rich, veggie, so if doesn't tighten, no harm will be done.

But for me looking at a very large loss (a bit over 60 now, aiming for 100) I'd rather take a chance on anything to keep me from the baggy skin, especially if there's no chance of it causing harm in the long run.

If it happens, it happens, but the weight I have lost has taken 1 year and 11 months, so I think that taking your loss slowly helps a lot, as well.

I just steam some California Mix 2-3 times a week and hope for the best.

Weight lifting is also really good for keeping away saggy skin.

Honestly I'm very impressed with my arms. I've lost a lot in them, they were really big and wide, and I thought I'd have some wings, but I don't, they look normal.

But... again... why mess with a pricy supplement your body may or may not even absorb when you can get it from food? Cauliflower and broccoli are high in it, low cost, easy and yummy.
  • stiobhard
    stiobhard Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Agreed!

tumblr_n4xhu51JqC1qewacoo1_500.jpg

theres a place near me that makes japanese noodle soup with grilled brussel sprouts that is so amazing that every time i see a brussel sprout now i want more....
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    I really need to have a good brussel sprout experience because I've tried them twice and they were horrible, just *kitten* nasty, and I LOVE veggies.

I know they're nutrient dense and packed with good stuff, but... EW!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Cauliflower contains the most bio-available L-Glutathione, which is amazing for skin. It has many different effects on the skin, all positive. It's one of the few foods that contain it.

People pay a serious premium for it from health food stores and such, not realizing it can be eaten, and absorbed by your body easier than the pills.

No, completely incorrect.

1) Cauliflower and other vegetables from the same family contain cyanohydroxybutene which can enhance glutathione production in the liver (but wait for the kicker). The actual glutathione contained is mostly useless as it is not absorbed.

Except - the dosage needed of CHB to enhance hepatic and pancreatic glutathione (GSH) is toxic. It is in excess of 200 gm/kg in rats. That is literally a bus load of Cauliflower in a human. At the dosage needed, it seems that tissue necrosis and hepatotoxicity are going to occur. So normally eating cauliflower does not significantly increase GSH.

2) GSH is very important and is sufficiently produced by the body and not from ingested glutathione (which is poorly absorbed) - production may be influenced from the ingestion of precursor molecules.

3) I would like to see evidence that GSH helps with skin tightness. I know it is used as a soap to white skin as it has a melanin inhibition effect. Do you have a study? If anything, a quick look at examine.com suggests that, for those that are interested, that GSH might be influenced by an Alpha Lipoic Acid, which is touted as having skin tightening effects (as a cream, can't remember?). But then we can go down the rabbithole of anti-aging stacks and their efficacy...

4) If you are interested in food increased glutathione production then the things to eat are meats (raw) or whey for their cysteine content which is used by the body to produce GSH. Cooked cauliflower is next to useless as the glutathione is broken down. So if you are doping on cauliflower at least eat it raw, asparagus (again raw) ... or Spinach have a high content. BUT these sources are next to useless as the absorption in the gut is minimal and has been shown to NOT increase plasma GSH.