"You Can't Out-Exercise a Bad Diet"

Options

Replies

• Lillyeatslilies
    Options
    Sorry everyone who is disagreeing- she's right. If you want to mess up your hormones and insulin levels, eat like crap. All the exercise in the world isn't going to counteract a diet of trans fats and processed sugars.

Oh noes, not my insulin levels!

This made me lol
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    i follow the 80-20 rule. 80% nutritious foods 20% indulgence. I don't like using the terms 'clean' and dirty' foods - its total bullsh*t. Your body doesn't know the difference.
  • rsoice
    rsoice Posts: 212 Member
    Options

basically weight loss comes from your food deficet...exercise is for health...

This kind of put it in perspective for me. I'd never thought about it like that before.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It's a common saying (Usually "out train" but same difference). Pretty sure it means working out does not give you liberty to eat whatever you want. You still have to be mindful of calories.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Lies! I could totally do it in my twenties. Now, not so much. Damn you thirties! *shakes fist*

yes, I remember those days fondly. Especially when I was training for road races and triathlons, never worried about my diet, ate whatever I wanted in whatever amount I wanted. I even separated my shoulder and couldn't do my normal workout for 2 months and still lost weight without really changing my diet. Learned the hard way when you get into your forties that don't work anymore.
  • TheSageMage
    TheSageMage Posts: 18
    Options
    I don't know about the science of this phrase, but I can tell you in my personal experience, it is a lot easier to not eat 300 calories than it is to work it off. Sure the exercise has health benefits, but when you look at food, aside from the taste, you should look at it as energy.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options

Thinking that the poster was referring to blood glucose levels, which some of us do have to worry about.

RHachicho, I took care of that fourth macro with some sugar-free vanilla ice cream with a dusting of cinnamon on it It wasn't capital A awesome like, say, chocolate lava cake . . . but then what is?

I know some people have to worry about blood glucose levels, I was referring to how whenever bad diets, sugar, or processed foods are brought up around here, the word insulin invariably gets bandied about as though we are all mere seconds away from going full-on Shelby ripping out her up-do in the beauty salon.

Gotcha. (The mental image brought a smile to my face after a difficult morning. Thank you!)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Don't know who the dude is but I sure as hell disagree with your title.

Both the title and your comment gave me a chuckle. In my 20's I COULD out-exercise a bad diet. Not so much in my 40's. It's all relative. I totally love the topic title!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I was already chubby in my 20's so I'd say that I agree with the title :p

This thread really is just the perfect example that people here will argue about anything.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    This thread really is just the perfect example that people here will argue about anything.
    In, because this just seems so much different than all the rest of the arguments.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    You can out exercise a bad diet. Athletes do it all the time. It just isn't optimal. But they add vitamins to everything now anyway. Athletes thrive on sugar and junk.

For normal people it's not a great weightloss tactic. Better to make a deficit and keep the exercise gentle until you are slim and fit enough to handle something harder. Then as if by magic, you can eat what you like again!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Sorry everyone who is disagreeing- she's right. If you want to mess up your hormones and insulin levels, eat like crap. All the exercise in the world isn't going to counteract a diet of trans fats and processed sugars.

I don't disagree with you, but the tone of your posts suggests the belief that eating "trans fats and processed sugars" is somehow going to destroy your physique. I eat dessert every day, which usually consists of a Magnum bar, Friendly's ice cream cup, single serving of Ben & Jerry's, etc.. Some days I'll have two (though I try not to). Yesterday I had 3 slices of pizza AND dessert. That said, my diet primarily consists of nutrient-rich foods; 15% or less comes from what I would qualify as junk food (sweets, fast food, etc.). My nightly indulgence in sweets and regular consumption of processed foods (e.g. wheat bread, jelly, frozen veggies in sauce X, etc.) hasn't swallowed up my six-pack, my energy levels are high, and my hormone levels (aside from the inevitably decreasing testosterone that comes with being 36) are just fine. So while I agree that a diet entirely composed of McDonald's and cookies is a surefire way to sabotage your health and fitness goals, I am absolutely certain that no one is going to burst into flames if they consume some sweets/processed foods.

Oh, absolutely- I eat dessert every day as well. The trick is moderation.

I just hate seeing people say that all calories are created equal when certain food are seriously destructive to your fitness.
    What foods are destructive to my fitness that don't take me out of a caloric deficit? Please elaborate.

*waiting with bated breath*
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    In, because this just seems so much different than all the rest of the arguments.

It's proof that people have convoluted definitions of "bad diet."
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    It depends on each person, what a "bad" diet is, and how much exercise they do. My sister used to run 20 miles a day, and she would eat 6 bagels for breakfast. She was very fit with low body fat. Bottom line is you have to eat to support whatever it is you spend your time doing, and for many people their activity level is overestimated for the amount they eat.
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    It depends on each person, what a "bad" diet is, and how much exercise they do. My sister used to run 20 miles a day, and she would eat 6 bagels for breakfast. She was very fit with low body fat. Bottom line is you have to eat to support whatever it is you spend your time doing, and for many people their activity level is overestimated for the amount they eat.

Only problem with that kind of lifestyle is that the person will most likely slow down with that level of activity due to age but maintain the eating patterns.

Happened to my Dad. Was a farmer his 20's and 30's. Ate like 6 eggs for breakfast. Once he hit his 40's and transitioned to desk jobs he gained weight.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options

Only problem with that kind of lifestyle is that the person will most likely slow down with that level of activity due to age but maintain the eating patterns.

Happened to my Dad. Was a farmer his 20's and 30's. Ate like 6 eggs for breakfast. Once he hit his 40's and transitioned to desk jobs he gained weight.

Oh I completely agree with you on that. In her case she really hasn't (this was over 10 years ago, now she has been home with 2 kids) since she only ate that much because her activity made her legitimately that hungry, and she wouldn't even consider doing that now because she doesn't need that kind of fuel.

I think the problem a lot of people run into is like what you said, they keep eating the same amount when they no longer need to and then they run into trouble.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

The only problem with that is whether or not a person has the wherewithal to recognize it and make changes.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options

It's not about arguing.

It's about wanting to be helpful by making sure that misinformation isn't posted.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

It's not about arguing.

It's about wanting to be helpful by making sure that misinformation isn't posted.

So, you are arguing that there is no argument?