Long distance runners

Options
13»

Replies

• BChanFit
    BChanFit Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have a small water bottle that I clip to my spibelt. Then I plan my routes near parks with drinking fountains or gas stations where I can refill it. But I agree with most posters here, I don't even really need it for runs 6 miles or shorter.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Theoretically I just wear a water belt... but then I'll run up to 20 miles without water. I gradually build myself up to that mileage without water though... starting from a casual 30 mins jog. Also, if it is hot, I just start my run earlier... My friends on here may laugh at the word 'earlier' though...
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I have a Nathan Fuel belt that holds two 10 oz bottles and has a roomy pouch for keys/gels/ID/etc. It's convenient and I use it for any run that approaches double digit mileage OR when it's crazy hot outside for mileage over 8. Each runner is different. I also have a handheld gizmo that has a strap that fits over my hand to help run with it. It has a pouch for keys/ID, too. I didn't like having something in one hand and not the other. Felt funky. But I see lots of other folks that run with one bottle in their hand.
  • MelanieMamaof5
    MelanieMamaof5 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a half-marathon and know we will need water during the run. Are there water stations during the run? I have not done a half marathon or marathon yet so that is why I ask.

You should check out your race specifics but normally they have water/gatorade stations every two miles. Makes a HUGE difference. Also, the half I just did had energy gel at the 10 mile. If I were you, I'd carry something of your own...an not the gel....It's disgusting. It coats your entire mouth and throat with sticky nasty. They have "chews" or even energy "jelly beans". I'd look into those NOW and try them out on your long runs BEFORE race day.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    bustedtees.440cff78-fea4-49e2-9b9e-14b41554.png

tumblr_inline_mjejfkndvN1qz4rgp.gif

ETA: Only for runs less than 15 miles.
  • gooserocks85
    gooserocks85 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    another fan of the nathan quickshot here. i used the 10oz bottle for my half marathon training - it was a little small for the higher mileage (10+), but was great for anything less than that. the hand holster can get a little sweaty, so i'd swap it a few times from hand to hand. the side pouch is perfect for holding ID/gu/cash/keys.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I don't do very long runs (yet), but I run with my dog and he usually gets hot and worn out before I do. So I just have a small backpack that can hold a water bottle for me and for him. That's about all it can hold. Other people have fancier suggestions on here, which will probably work better, but depending on where you're at it might be easier for you to get a small backpack. If it fits you properly it shouldn't be annoying or an imposition.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    for a 6 miles run it should not be necessary to carry water. I've lived and run all over central and south Florida, anywhere from 5 - 18 miles, and have never ever carried water with me. perhaps try to hydrate more before going out? or maybe it's a mental thing and just bust through the 6 miles without stopping to show yourself a water stop isn't really necessary.
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Basically, if your body is telling you you need water while you're running, take some with you! Also make sure you drink plenty the night before and the morning before your runs.

In the UK I never carried water for anything less than 10 miles. Since I moved I'm finding I'm carrying water for 6 miles when it's warm, because I'm so much thirstier in the heat I'm not used to. I carry a bottle right now, and I find it's not really a bother. But for my long marathon training runs I'm planning on getting a hydration belt. I have also taken some money with me in the past to buy a drink at a shop on the way.

All the half marathons I have completed have had water stops every couple of miles or so. My first also had Lucozade at a few stops. I wrongly assumed there would be sports drinks at my second, and suffered from lack of energy because there wasn't, though they had the option for you to take your own, labeled, and they would transport it to a water station of your choice. Always check to see what the race has before you get there so you know what to expect.

Tl;dr: ~ If you're thirsty on runs, drink water, doesn't matter what other people do!
    ~ Lots of good suggestions here to make sure you have water on a run
    ~ Check the race before to see what they have. Probably water, maybe sports drink. Never assume.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Increase your water intake before you leave the house. I drink a minimum of 32 oz most days for 60 to 90 minutes of running. Any longer than 90 minutes and I'll drink up to 64 oz, 30 to 60 minutes before I start, and run with a hydration fanny pack with a horizontal bladder (Inov-8 brand).
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    If I am going less than 10 I tuck a few jolly ranchers (hard candy) in the arm band that holds my music player. Sucking on that or a peppermint keeps my mouth moist and I don't require water until I'm finished. If it's over 10 I use a hydration belt and will take a pack of gels or energy beans with me.

I love this idea! Sometimes, even on a shorter run, I feel like I need water... but I think it's more of a dry mouth situation than anything. I'm definitely going to try this. Thanks!
  • moondazed
    moondazed Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I often bring a water bottle and plant it somewhere on the trail so I can have water on the way back!
  • BioMechHeretic
    BioMechHeretic Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I regularly run trails and will mix a few miles of running, hour or two of hiking, few miles of running, hiking etc. so carrying water is a must.

I'm an Eagle Scout, I refuse to go that far into the woods with no supplies at all anyway. I use a mid size camelbak with a hip belt and 100 oz bladder. It is enough to carry that water, an emergency whistle, map of the area, compass, socks, fire starter, signal mirror, knife, first aid kit, energy bars, rope, etc.

It is a few pounds but it makes you stronger anyway and I know if I was to fall and break my leg or find some injured person I would have everything I needed to stay the night there or help get them out.

Also, I have things in the bag waterproofed and it itself is lightweight and I run in minimus shoes so if I care to I can jump into a lake or river in full running gear and get out and keep right on running .I like that feeling.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I've found I don't for that sort of distance and fine for 10 miles.

Only properly big run I've done was 32 at an organised event, which had stops offering water, squash, tea/coffee, hot dogs, scones and various other food along the way!

Also, this!...
    runningrefreshment.jpg
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Up to six I won't typically use anything. 7-14 I will use a handheld (amphipod 12 oz or ultimate direction 20oz) and for more than that (particularly when it gets hot and humid) I use my salomon hydration pack (50oz.) I do unsupported runs up to 50k with the salomon and a 20oz bottle in front. That pretty much covers all distances that I will attempt without aid.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I have never heard of energy gels can someone tell me more about these?
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/reviews/nutrition/energy-gels/24.html
    While sports drinks can meet your fuel and fluid needs, they’re not always convenient to take on a long run. So if you have access to water – for example at race drinks stations, or water fountains in the park – energy gels can be a more practical solution.

Energy gels are essentially concentrated drinks of about 100 calories each, and nearly all need to be taken with water so that they digest properly.

How much gel you need depends on your size and how far you're running. As a general rule, you'll benefit from 30-60g (about two gels) per hour in a long run of two hours or more.

Personally, I've not found one (brand) that I can stomach yet (although I have just got a couple from Torq - that are said to be easier to digest - we'll see next weekend!!). - I prefer to go Old School and use Jelly Babies (don't underestimate the psychological benefit of these little buggers over soulless gels!!) :-)

http://www.torqfitness.co.uk/nutrition/torq-gel