Your food is no cleaner than mine

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    *looks at the 12 pages*

Well, now that we've got this covered. What is training dirty? Does it mean you lift barbells after you soil yourself?

It's like riding dirty. You lift the weights with a secret stash of drugs in your hidden pocket.

Ahhnold led the way.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't get any comments about anything in my cart usually. I remember once a guy commented on the cupcakes i had in my basket. He said.. I don't eat sweets, not my thing. I just smiled and said. tat's probably a good thing. I don't comment on others basket either. Although I was in Sams club a few weeks ago and was astounded by one gentlemen's cart (2 actually) piled high with hostess and chip and soda.. Most likely he own a small store.. but the sheer quantity he had just caught my attention. I didn't say anything to him.

No one has ever commented on anything in my cart but a checker. Mostly positive--but extremely rarely some weird non-positive comment that just seems strange from a checker. For example, one time in Myrtle Beach years ago the checker decided to try and shame us for buying beer on a Sunday. The idea of commenting on what's in someone else's cart just seems bizarre to me.
    I've had people in the store ask me where I found something or if I was buying a specific product and someone was wondering about it, the person will ask me questions. But no one has ever randomly criticized anything in my cart.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    When anyone tells me about their clean eating or Paleo diet or Primal etc etc... I just wonder what fad they're going to try next.

giphy.gif

WTF that thing is REAL i thought they made it up for that south-park episode. Seriously laughing here now.

A friend of mine has that thing.. he says it's a good workout.. idk.. I have never tried it.. i can't get a certain image out of my head every time I see this particular item.. so there's that ruining it for me too...lol
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Was reading through the first page... I have to laugh at the idea that "processed food" is bad... Um, I'm pretty sure any cut up and/or cooked food has been processed...

Oh it's semantics? Then find a better phrase that "processed".
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Do you scrub yours with soap and water before you eat it? I do. :-P

I wash my produce in a vinegar water bath... makes it last longer. ;)
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    Was reading through the first page... I have to laugh at the idea that "processed food" is bad... Um, I'm pretty sure any cut up and/or cooked food has been processed...

Oh it's semantics? Then find a better phrase that "processed".

Nope.

Stop using extreme examples.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The example points to a real issue, however. People--even "clean eaters"--seem to distinguish between some kinds of processing and others and the assertion that "oh, you know what we mean" is not actually true. But the best definition of "clean" eating I've heard (though hardly the only one) is that it is to refer to a decision not to eat processed food, that it's processed food that is allegedly not clean. (Again, it seems like there are plenty of other definitions of "clean" eating, like not eating added sugar, grains, refined grains, "white foods," dairy, etc.)

It's important, since if I'm considering the benefits of "clean" eating (apart from my hatred for the label), I would need a reason that it's good to abstain from food based merely on it being "processed." For example, yesterday I had some tuna steak that was purchased frozen. Obviously processed, but why on earth is that a bad addition to my diet? I also had some soy sauce. Sure, lots of sodium, but given the quantities used, what's the argument that I should forego the pleasures that it adds to my meal. I also had some yogurt--again processed, again same question. Moreover, if I like yogurt (which I do), apparently the only way to eat it "clean" is to make it myself, and to be willing to do that I'd have to have a really good reason why it's so much better for me that way. Finally, I had some gelato yesterday. I get the argument for why this is bad for me (although I don't agree that moderate amounts of gelato can't be part of a healthy diet), but I don't see how even the negative arguments have to do with whether it is processed or not. If I made ice cream from milk from a grass fed cow I milked myself (I have an ice cream maker somewhere and access to milk from a grass fed cow, although I'm not milking it myself, sorry), why is this better for me than any possible ice cream or gelato I might purchase?

If the issue isn't actually processing but something else, wouldn't it be better to make a more specific argument?
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    Don't worry. We get it. The problem is the label itself, not the food eaten.

I don't have a magic ingredient number. I just buy my foods whole and raw and turn them into something yummy myself. I avoid chemical additives on the few things i buy that i do not make myself. And I avoid added sugar (which really has nothing to do with clean eating, that's just my preference) The nitty gritty details are just like any other diet, Subject to the whims of the person who eats that diet.

Is it better for you personally *shrug* idk.. I don't know you or your needs. I know it's better for me and i can tell by the lack of headaches, the increase in energy, the amount of sleep I get and how I feel overall.

I don't get all the hate.. I don't agree with paleo at all and I don't really get it. It doesn't seem like a healthy diet to me, but I don't go ripping it apart or demanding explanation from people who follow it. It's like vegetarians.. or the plethora of branches they created because no one could agree on exactly what constitutes a vegetarian. Like I am a vegetarian but I eat fish, so they created a name for that. Makes no sense to me. But to each their own.
  • dietenv
    dietenv Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like alot of you are just insecure. You think or worry that everyone is judging you on the way you eat. If you feel that way, then YOU are the one that really has the problem with the way you eat. Stop blaming your insecurities on other people judging you. If you didn't find it true, it wouldn't bother you enough to constantly complain about it. For you to have to change what grocery stores you shop at because you are afraid everone's judging you... that's just weird. Grow up.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. We get it. The problem is the label itself, not the food eaten.

Actually, I'd moved on from that issue--I think I expressed my views sufficiently--to my more substantive questions about the concept, vs the (incredibly self-congratulatory) label you use for what I call cooking. Okay, sorry, haven't entirely dropped it, I guess, but I just find it so mystifying that you don't see how off-putting the label is. But moving on...
    I don't have a magic ingredient number. I just buy my foods whole and raw and turn them into something yummy myself. I avoid chemical additives on the few things i buy that i do not make myself. And I avoid added sugar (which really has nothing to do with clean eating, that's just my preference) The nitty gritty details are just like any other diet, Subject to the whims of the person who eats that diet.

But see, I also kind of think that I generally buy my foods whole and raw and turn them into something tasty myself. That's what cooking is, right? But "clean eating" is something beyond that--it's a claim that it's bad to ever eat processed food. To actually have a discussion about the merits of that, it's necessary to define what you are talking about and why those foods are distinguished such that they must be unhealthy (unclean, even!) even in moderation.

That's why I raised a few specific examples. All processed, but all either consistent with cooking with whole ingredients, using a small amount of an additive that makes the results of cooking tastier (like using packaged herbs and spices, salt and pepper), or something that is quite time consuming to make myself and probably no better tasting (although I haven't tried) or healthier. So if you are going to say that the key issue is processing tell me what I'm missing about my examples.
    i can tell by the lack of headaches, the increase in energy, the amount of sleep I get and how I feel overall.

If you are telling me that frozen tuna and yogurt from a store give you these problems, I'd have no issue with you avoiding them, obviously. But when it's part of "clean eating," there's a broader assertion--that most people would be healthier without such items, that they are bad for us as a society, etc. So again my question.
    I don't get all the hate.. I don't agree with paleo at all and I don't really get it. It doesn't seem like a healthy diet to me, but I don't go ripping it apart or demanding explanation from people who follow it. It's like vegetarians.. or the plethora of branches they created because no one could agree on exactly what constitutes a vegetarian. Like I am a vegetarian but I eat fish, so they created a name for that. Makes no sense to me. But to each their own.

I don't hate clean eaters. I think they probably eat like a lot of other people here but for whatever reason have an attachment to a label I find obnoxious. But if people are making a claim about all processed food being not just not to their taste--which again seems a weird claim to me, since there's a huge continuum and variety of processing, and it's kind of like saying that only locally grown food is good and all else bad or unnatural--but also unclean (i.e., bad and disgusting for everyone), then I think it's fair game to ask them (politely and as an interested inquiry, not to tell THEM they should eat any other way) on what basis they make that claim?

I think it kind of bugs me because it's such a broad and rather extreme assertion to say that ALL processed foods should be avoided always, that they are inherently worse for you than other foods, just for that reason, but when I actually hear about what sel-defined "clean eaters" eat, I don't see how what they are eating is so different, and plenty of people, not just clean eaters, like to cook a chicken or whatever. I don't call that clean eating, I call it cooking.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,011 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5RmLqNbxTQB3B2HB-vQdBtoZdwLeB91h-M9FtOWY7Oy_6l9ox
  • redtreediary
    redtreediary Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Lemurcat: eventually, you can't even eat the kale.

http://www.nwedible.com/2012/08/tragedy-healthy-eater.html
  • tl_dr
    tl_dr Posts: 96
    Options
    I can't recall ever referring to myself or my diet as "clean"... But I always defined the word in my head as just "anything that's not greasy fast food". :embarassed:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I can't recall ever referring to myself or my diet as "clean"... But I always defined the word in my head as just "anything that's not greasy fast food". :embarassed:

Greasy and fast food is an important part of my healthy diet.
  • tl_dr
    tl_dr Posts: 96
    Options

Greasy and fast food is an important part of my healthy diet.

I admit to being a bacon fiend.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    So still, the main issue is people using the term clean eating. The secondary issue is defining clean eating. Which I'm not even going to attempt. It's been gone over a billion times. Just use the search function. You might find it obnoxious that I attach a label to how i eat. I find it obnoxious that people take issue with my chosen diet and whatever I chose to call it. So that makes us even I suppose.
  • tessi1993
    tessi1993 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    this is pathetic. everyone needs to stop this whole fight between clean eating and IIFYM THINGS WORK DIFFERENTLY FOR DIFFERENT PEOPLE!!! no diet is "better" than the other, get the **** over it!
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Lemurcat: eventually, you can't even eat the kale.

http://www.nwedible.com/2012/08/tragedy-healthy-eater.html

:laugh: :drinker:
  • felonebeats
    felonebeats Posts: 433
    Options
    I don't care who eats what.I eat clean because I like it and my body likes it
  • chiquitarose22
    Options
    When anyone tells me about their clean eating or Paleo diet or Primal etc etc... I just wonder what fad they're going to try next.

giphy.gif