The average weight ladies bench

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think you'd be better off doing push ups. In fact, most body weight exercise are ideal for toning and seeing gains in strength. With Push ups, there are so many variations that you can hit the muscles in so many different ways.

Solid first post.

In 2 years!

It's like he SAS constipated with bad advice and he finally was able to uncork and let that crap flow.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think you'd be better off doing push ups. In fact, most body weight exercise are ideal for toning and seeing gains in strength. With Push ups, there are so many variations that you can hit the muscles in so many different ways.

wow really?

maybe if you aren't lifting that's a good start...
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options

My wife tried the '100 pushups' routine and worked herself up to 43 consecutive (real) pushups, but I've never seen her do more than an 80 lb. barbell bench press for reps.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options

Wow, great point. Too bad there is only One Way to bench press.
  • bonjalandoni
    bonjalandoni Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Do stronglifts 5x5 good way for beginners to "find where they are" and good way to improve strength.
  • LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I did my first bench press about a month ago and I'm doing 60 lbs now :) Hoping to up to 65 soon ^_^
    One day I'll have big plates on the bar :P But I'm in no rush ahha
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4", weigh 135 and when I first started lifting, I just did the bar for 45 lbs. I can now bench 135! It's my current PR. I'm still doing 5x5s but might switch to a different lifting program in the near future.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4", weigh 135 and when I first started lifting, I just did the bar for 45 lbs. I can now bench 135! It's my current PR. I'm still doing 5x5s but might switch to a different lifting program in the near future.

Pfft.

According to Rocka up there, 135 is warm up for girls
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

Pfft.

:cry: Why you so mean?:cry:

:sad: She's awesome and I'm still working toward that one day being my warm up. Someday... someday.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Average female strength is 60% that of male.

That should translate into weight-lifting comparisons- you can expect to maximally lift 60% of what comparable weight-lifting male can.

The difference is testosterone.

No matter how hard you work out, you can't naturally increase your levels.

UNnaturally, of course, you can.

:huh:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    (source: EXRX)

Using 148lb female:

Untrained = 75 lbs
    Novice = 90 lbs
    Intermediate = 105 lbs
    Advanced = 135 lbs
    Elite = 165 lbs

Link to chart:

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/BenchStandards.html

sounds like rubbish- I'm no where near an elite athlete and I can push 160.

Saying 135 for a woman is advanced is silly- that's warm up weight. I get that heavy is relative to everyone- but come on- I feel like this chart is ridiculous.
    you come off so condescending in the forums.

i have been working on bench press for quite a while and am at 5x95 and can push 105 maybe 3 times. I was happy to see that am intermediate finally.

saying 135 is a warm up weight for women is silly.

oh and I am 42, 5'11 and weigh about 197 pounds

to you- you're projecting onto what I said.

But it's not condescension- mostly irritation actually. It's really frustrating to constantly see lower numbers and it still be considered elite. WE are the only ones who can raise that bar. We as women lifters are the only one who can prove that this isn't accurate. I am not an elite athelte. By no stretch am I elite. I do not compete (my first meet will be in July and I'm honestly lifting LESS in preperation than what I normally would do. I do not expect to win- the women who are almost 20 pounds lighter than me (in that 145-150 range) are out lifting me- I am not an exception.

we need to raise the bar so that elite is not body weight lifts the top class- that's just rubbish. Not sure why people are okay with being put in a box with a crappy label. It's annoying- I work hard- but I am not an elite. That should mean something when you reach that level- and I can tell you with a body weight bench- that's not me. So much more potential to be had!!!

I'm extremely supportive of women weight lifting- and I make it a point almost any time someone asks about "what's supposed to be a good weight" that heavy is 100% relative.

Pfft.

I didn't say for all girls- but we shouldn't be putting a elite on a weight cap so low. The only ones who can change that are the women. And apparently I'm a fat kid- because all the women on these forums are 5'5" it seems- so for me- who appears to be a real life gigantor- at 170- that is warm up weight. All the girls I lift with- 135 IS WARM UP... and we are by no stretch elite.

Everyone starts with just the bar- I still use it. :) I'm totally okay with it!!

And it'll totally happen for you- that's body weight- that's a great accomplishment for you!!!

You'll be hitting solid 120's as warm up soon.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Wuss. According to a certain someone, benching 135lbs as a woman is child's play, apparently. You should be repping out 2x BW easy.

FWIW, the famous Staci (http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/), last time I saw her she said she was benching 165 and probably weighed around 150. And she is ridiculously strong. For a long while her deadlift was more than mine (I've seen her pull 380lbs conventional, probably more now).
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options

Using 148lb female:

Untrained = 75 lbs
    Novice = 90 lbs
    Intermediate = 105 lbs
    Advanced = 135 lbs
    Elite = 165 lbs

Link to chart:

Saying 135 for a woman is advanced is silly- that's warm up weight. I get that heavy is relative to everyone- but come on- I feel like this chart is ridiculous.

Good for you. I've never seen anyone female do it, so you are more unusual than you think. I know of one woman I lift with who could do it, but I've never seen her. Other than that, I've never seen a woman at the gym or CrossFit do that much. It might be warm up weight for you, but bench is a weak lift for a lot of women.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Using 148lb female:

Untrained = 75 lbs
    Novice = 90 lbs
    Intermediate = 105 lbs
    Advanced = 135 lbs
    Elite = 165 lbs

Link to chart:

i have been working on bench press for quite a while and am at 5x95 and can push 105 maybe 3 times. I was happy to see that am intermediate finally.

But it's not condescension- mostly irritation actually. It's really frustrating to constantly see lower numbers and it still be considered elite. WE are the only ones who can raise that bar. We as women lifters are the only one who can prove that this isn't accurate. I am not an elite athelte. By no stretch am I elite. I do not compete (my first meet will be in July and I'm honestly lifting LESS in preperation than what I normally would do. I do not expect to win- the women who are almost 20 pounds lighter than me (in that 145-150 range) are out lifting me- I am not an exception.

I'm extremely supportive of women weight lifting- and I make it a point almost any time someone asks about "what's supposed to be a good weight" that heavy is 100% relative.

Pfft.

I didn't say for all girls- but we shouldn't be putting a elite on a weight cap so low. The only ones who can change that are the women.

Everyone starts with just the bar- I still use it. :) I'm totally okay with it!!

And it'll totally happen for you- that's body weight- that's a great accomplishment for you!!!

Yeah. Your attitude is totally motivating women to up the bar. Mmhmm.

386205574.gif
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    But it's not condescension- mostly irritation actually.

If you can't see how you are constantly condescending and rude EVERY TIME you post, there really is no hope...
  • kelly_e_montana
    Options

Using 148lb female:

Untrained = 75 lbs
    Novice = 90 lbs
    Intermediate = 105 lbs
    Advanced = 135 lbs
    Elite = 165 lbs

Link to chart:

we need to raise the bar so that elite is not body weight lifts the top class- that's just rubbish. Not sure why people are okay with being put in a box with a crappy label. It's annoying- I work hard- but I am not an elite. That should mean something when you reach that level- and I can tell you with a body weight bench- that's not me. So much more potential to be had!!!

Pfft.

I didn't say for all girls- but we shouldn't be putting a elite on a weight cap so low. The only ones who can change that are the women. And apparently I'm a fat kid- because all the women on these forums are 5'5" it seems- so for me- who appears to be a real life gigantor- at 170- that is warm up weight. All the girls I lift with- 135 IS WARM UP... and we are by no stretch elite.

Not necessarily. I've been working on the chest press machine and dumbbells at my max for 8-12 reps for 10 years (I was over 110 or so on the machine after working up from 45 over years and years). This is when I was more into body building and less into strength. I started working on barbells last year. I'm not to 120s as a warm up yet. Not saying it's not going to happen...but I don't see 170 ever happening for me since my noob gains already came and went. I mean, they could, but honestly I'd rather do something more functional than work on a lift that I don't feel contributes enough to overall functional strength for atheletes relative to other activities one could be doing with her time. I might even do pushups, like 200 of them. I'll still bench, but I won't cry if I never get over 150.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

meh- you don't have to like it, me or what I say. Reality is I am very supportive of women lifting.

most people either really just don't like me- or cherry pick one topic to harp- of hundreds I comment on- to talk about how negative I am. I post frequently with very helpful matter of fact advice about lifting.
    Wuss. According to a certain someone, benching 135lbs as a woman is child's play, apparently. You should be repping out 2x BW easy.

FWIW, the famous Staci (http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/), last time I saw her she said she was benching 165 and probably weighed around 150. And she is ridiculously strong. For a long while her deadlift was more than mine (I've seen her pull 380lbs conventional, probably more now).

I know who staci is- I'm on the same forum. I'm not sure why she isn't putting up more honestly- she's got me totally stomped in dead and squat-and I'm 100% certain my *kitten* is bigger than hers- it's not like I'm some genetic freak with a massive upper body- I"m built very low-wide butt- thick legs. She's almost 20 lbs lighter- and puttin gup 165 so that's solid- but I would have expected a higher number from her.

I'd also be willing to bet for her 135 isn't heavy at all. Once you start working above that range- going back down is hard. Shrug- I'm not bragging about it- I just wish people would stop rating our lifts so fricking low. It's frustrating. I'm not trying to put down other people and I don't get why that's a thing- THE CHART IS WRONG- not all of you thinking I"m attacking you.

I don't care that 135 isn't your warm up weight- I care that they are calling it an elite lift. You can't help where when or how you started training- you're lifts are your lifts right now. Nothing can change that - good bad or indifferent- you work at your level.

But the chart is wrong.
  • kelly_e_montana
    Options

meh- you don't have to like it, me or what I say. Reality is I am very supportive of women lifting.

most people either really just don't like me- or cherry pick one topic to harp- of hundreds I comment on- to talk about how negative I am. I post frequently with very helpful matter of fact advice about lifting.

I know who staci is- I'm on the same forum. I'm not sure why she isn't putting up more honestly- she's got me totally stomped in dead and squat-and I'm 100% certain my *kitten* is bigger than hers- it's not like I'm some genetic freak with a massive upper body- I"m built very low-wide butt- thick legs. She's almost 20 lbs lighter- and puttin gup 165 so that's solid- but I would have expected a higher number from her.

I'd also be willing to bet for her 135 isn't heavy at all. Once you start working above that range- going back down is hard. Shrug- I'm not bragging about it- I just wish people would stop rating our lifts so fricking low. It's frustrating. I'm not trying to put down other people and I don't get why that's a thing- THE CHART IS WRONG- not all of you thinking I"m attacking you.

I don't care that 135 isn't your warm up weight- I care that they are calling it an elite lift. You can't help where when or how you started training- you're lifts are your lifts right now. Nothing can change that - good bad or indifferent- you work at your level.

But the chart is wrong.

You once told me that a good way to motivate myself was to tell myself to stop sucking. You are the most condescending person on this forum. The only reason I can even read what you say is that I had to unblock you because lots of threads were not making sense because you were talking so much that there were huge gaps in them with you blocked.

You're really smart about lifting but you are the most de-motivating female lifter in this community.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options

But the chart is wrong.

Here's what you should be getting out of the chart:

You are far stronger than most women.

Don't act like it's the chart's fault that more women can't bench more.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    It's all relative.

Also depends what your goals are.

I bench about 30kg (3 x 12) and quite happy with that. So it might be half a warm up weight for someone else, but for me it's all good. I could probably lift a bit heavier if I did less reps, but getting stronger isn't my goal. Besides, that's my first exercise and then I do other chest work.

Again, depends what your goals are.