If you won the lottery, what would you do?

Options

Replies

• asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    How much we talking??

I won 20 bucks last week....I bought more tickets with it!
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Buy a bigger boat and sail it from the great lakes to the Atlantic, around Florida through the gulf, up the Mississippi back to the great lakes.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'd buy a moving truck full of Cheez Its
  • christacb
    christacb Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Buy a RV and take a road trip out west to visit a bunch of the National Parks for the first time. Places like Yosemite, Grand Tetons, Grand Canyon, and Meteor Crater. I need a vacation so badly. I haven't had one in 6 years.
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I would keep it on the down low as long as possible and try to surprise my parents with their dream kitchen and dream fishing trip to Alaska and I would also make my mother-in-laws house so much better than it is now and do some beautiful landscaping around it. She lives in the Dominican Republic so she needs all the help she can get!
  • queenb39
    queenb39 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Give 10 percent to the church.
  • rfw24
    rfw24 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Depends on the amount. If big, create a trust for me, my 2 brothers and my parents. We would each share the amount. I would not tell another soul about this. I would donate to some charities and then vacation as I want!
  • dapunks
    dapunks Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Help my family pay of debt.
    Pay off my mortgage.
    If possible quit my job. The I would find one I liked but didn't need to worry about the money.
    Maybe move to a smaller town.
    Travel.
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I would give all of the money to PBS in the hopes that they would END THE PLEDGE DRIVE!!!!
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I would buy a ton of acreage. Begin construction on a high wall to encompass it all. I would then start making myself as self sufficient as possible: herd of cattle, wells, gardens and orchards. In the midst of all of this, would be my castle. A solid structure meant to last as long as possible: renewable energy, sub floors, security provisions. As this is occurring, I would be paying a lab in a less regulated country to do experimental animal breeding, and provide for me both unicorns and chocobos. Once that is all done...I would write a book.
  • Vince_1964
    Vince_1964 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Depends ... on how much it was. There are a couple charitable organization I'd donate to - a scholarship fund and a church building fund.

Set up trust funds for my daughters and grandson. Pay for their educations/weddings in cash. Ensure we have enough socked away to live comfortably for the rest of our lives.

Retire from my job, volunteer more, and play music more!

Travel with my wife, whenever and wherever we want ...
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Depending on how big the win was... I would try to put at least half in the bank, give to my church and other charities that I would support. spend at least a year traveling to every country in the world... first class of course... a yacht would also be a lot of fun!!! New cars for the whole family too!
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I have thought about this the few times. Whatever answer I come up with, the next thing i try to do is to do it without the lottery!
  • moviestarsara
    Options
    Trip to Vegas with my girl friends :smile:
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    1/4 would go to charity, another 1/2 into savings.

I would take my kids on a year long trip around the world - so they can be immersed in other cultures (and you know, me too!), and really appreciate what the world has to offer (and how lucky they are in perspective of some countries).
    I'd get the boobs put back where they belong.
    Buy some land and build our dream house.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    1. Pay debts
    2. Buy house/condo (hubby and I argue over this)
    3. Vehicle
    4. Donations to family and charities
    5. Bank the rest
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Cruise for my MFP friends...
  • eplerd
    eplerd Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hire a personal trainer for 5 sessions a week for six months or more.
    Also hire a personal chef/nutritionist to work with trainer...

Then after dropping enough weight and re-training thought processes I'd get a new motorcycle and tour the USA by motorcycle for a year or more...once I'd seen all I wanted of the 49 states (including an off-road ride from Mexico to Canada via BackCountry Discovery routes - google it..) I'd take a trip thru south america!

DAve
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Take the max payout.

Quietly close down FB and MFP.

Pull the batteries from Cell Phones and get new Cell phones,. With new unlisted numbers

Delete all email accounts.

Contact my Investment Broker and heed his advice.

Pay off all bills. Pay off all my children's Bills.

Set up college funds for my grandchildren.

Move.

Did I forget to include my job in my future? Nope. What job?
  • Slaintegrl
    Slaintegrl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Buy my dream house in Ireland, travel all over Europe and buy a full time dietician/nutrionist/cook/grocery shopper!