Is bread bad?

Options
Cloudborn
Cloudborn Posts: 43 Member
I understand the fact that bread contains a lot of empty calories and is therefore not great to eat a lot of. However I am getting different answers from different sources, some saying bread is fine in moderation and others saying to cut it out completely.

Does anyone know the answer to this? I'm a bread lover, any bread product I will consume with delight. Whenever I have a pizza I always go for the crust (its the best part!). So I guess its kinda important for my diet to get a conclusive answer to this question.

Replies

• runnergrlfl
    runnergrlfl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    There is no definitive answer, just lots of opinions.

My life would be a miserable existence without bread, therefore I eat it.

Edited for grammar.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I understand the fact that bread contains a lot of empty calories and is therefore not great to eat a lot of. However I am getting different answers from different sources, some saying bread is fine in moderation and others saying to cut it out completely.

Does anyone know the answer to this? I'm a bread lover, any bread product I will consume with delight. Whenever I have a pizza I always go for the crust (its the best part!). So I guess its kinda important for my diet to get a conclusive answer to this question.

Bread is not empty calories nor is it bad
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    PB&J is a mess without bread

:)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Food is never good or bad. It's just food. If it fits your calories and you're getting a well rounded diet, you're fine.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    white-bread1.jpg
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    PB&J is a mess without bread
    ^^^ fantastic

Bread is not bad. Count your calories. If you have enough calories to enjoy bread, enjoy bread. I too love bread.

I thought "empty calories" meant foods that are high calorie but not satisfying. Bread can be very filling
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Maybe. Check for mold.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    I find that bread is like gasoline... IF I have a decent lunch with very few "bread carbs" then I am sometimes full until supper time... BUT if I have a couple of slices of bread with a lunchtime meal... then I am starving by 3-ish... so.. back to my analogy... "regular food:" veggies, fruit, protein etc. is firewood... bread.. is gasoline... if you throw gas on the campfire... BOOM... the fire will burn out quick...

SO... Bread is good if you have a reason to add it to a meal... IE need a quick jolt of energy before doing some physical activity... BUT if don't need the fire to burnm quite as quick... maybe save the bread for another time.
  • AtticWindow
    AtticWindow Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Yep. Looks pretty bad to me.

Evil-White-Bread.jpg
  • beaches61
    beaches61 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I love bread. Give me bread. I am not giving up bread. :)
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    No such thing as a bad food..IMHO

I love BREAD.....I work it into my daily calories
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    How does one make a sammich without bread? If thrown together without it, it's just a salad.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Food is never good or bad. It's just food. If it fits your calories and you're getting a well rounded diet, you're fine.

Exactly!!
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Only if it has fuzzy green mold growing on it or it is stale and hard as a rock.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    YES. Bread IS bad for you. I don't care what all the people above me say. I ate bread one time and I died instantly.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    There is no definitive answer, just lots of opinions.

My life would be a miserable existence without bread, therefore I eat it.

Edited for grammar.

This is basically my answer.
  • Cloudborn
    Cloudborn Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Lol, alright guy thanks for some genuine answers and some sarcastic replies! The pictures were a nice touch.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Bread every day. and an English muffin daily. Eat it if you love it. daily.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options

The conclusive answer is bread is neither empty or bad for you..........except white bread........that apparently is evil and will make everyone fat. j/k.
  • dcb518
    dcb518 Posts: 4
    Options
    It is not the bread that is "Bad" It is the type of bread. White bread is overly refined and processed and the carbohydrates turn to sugar, which turns to fat...that is the short and scary truth on white bread; however, eating whole grain breads would be a better choice and if you cant avoid the freshly baked Italian white bread..keep it in moderation. :)