Is bread bad?

Options

Replies

• YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    The worst thing you could ever do for yourself is demonize food groups.

If you are allergic to a certain type of food, or you have a medical condition that requires you to stay away from a certain type of food, that is different. However, if you have no allergic reaction or medical condition, and you enjoy it, and it fits in your calories and macros, have at it.
  • dcb518
    dcb518 Posts: 4
    Options
    Love the Evil Bread man! :)
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I would say that super-white supermarket bread, like Wonder Bread, is pretty useless empty calories because it lacks so many nutrients and the fiber content is so low. Plus eurgh, it's yucky tasting. However, good-quality, interesting bread with some whole grains in it is a wonderful thing to be eaten in moderation along with plenty of other kinds of food.
  • Vince_1964
    Vince_1964 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    There is no conclusive answer. If you like bread, eat it! It's not supposed to be about depriving yourself of specific food groups.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,969 Member
    Options
    It is not the bread that is "Bad" It is the type of bread. White bread is overly refined and processed and the carbohydrates turn to sugar, which turns to fat...that is the short and scary truth on white bread; however, eating whole grain breads would be a better choice and if you cant avoid the freshly baked Italian white bread..keep it in moderation. :)
    Sugar is evil....white bread is sugar.......especially Calabrese and Portuguese white breads, watch out for them, much like sheep in wolf clothing.
  • aliwhalen
    aliwhalen Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    YES. Bread IS bad for you. I don't care what all the people above me say. I ate bread one time and I died instantly.

Hehehe :)
  • AtticWindow
    AtticWindow Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Love the Evil Bread man! :)

Ciabatta...bialy...naan!

101512-gimme-some-sugar-baby-gif-Imgu-mf4T.gif
  • felicia2005
    felicia2005 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. I would suggest not going overboard and try whole wheat bread.i love bread also. So I can understand.
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    "bread contains a lot of empty calories"?
    Sure, the white stuff isn't particularly nutritious. Whole grain bread, on the other hand, is a source of B vitamins and minerals, not to mention healthy fiber. Either white or whole grain bread as part of a balanced meal, however, is still a perfectly good food.

I don't think bread is bad, but then again I don't think any particular food is bad (unless you have an allergy or medical condition that prohibits certain foods). I'm firmly in the "eat foods you enjoy, in moderation" camp. I personally don't keep bread in my home because I live alone and it usually spoils/goes stale before I finish a loaf. But I regularly get a sandwich or a wrap for lunch. I try to choose whole grain breads most of the time, as I know they are more nutritious than the white stuff, but I eat white bread on occasion too.

If you enjoy it, there is no need to cut bread from your diet.
  • rjtoback
    rjtoback Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is a very subjective question and you will always have people arguing both sides. Some diet fads will say bread is bad because it is made from grain, which is processed to make bread. Processed foods are "bad," ergo, bread is bad. This is not entirely true as you will also find many body builders and physique models who love their bread and other grains.

Take it like this: Too much of any thing can be bad for you. However, if you can fit it into your diet while maintaining a balanced diet, it should be okay. Bread is a great source for carbs if you have trouble meeting your carb goals. If you want to look at "healthier breads" try checking out sprouted grain bread.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Bread is too delicious to give up. I just really watch my portion sizes and try to plan my meal/day accordingly. Besides, bread is a great excuse to eat butter!
  • AtticWindow
    AtticWindow Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Bread is too delicious to give up. I just really watch my portion sizes and try to plan my meal/day accordingly. Besides, bread is a great excuse to eat butter!

0042e1f3c70a07d626a1bd0064be625f.gif
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    Oh dear.

I think you get the picture by now. Bread is not bad for you. All food has some nutritional value. If you love bread, find a way to make it work with your goals.
  • Cloudborn
    Cloudborn Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yes.. Thank you everyone for educating me so thoroughly on the subject matter.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I find that bread is like gasoline... IF I have a decent lunch with very few "bread carbs" then I am sometimes full until supper time... BUT if I have a couple of slices of bread with a lunchtime meal... then I am starving by 3-ish... so.. back to my analogy... "regular food:" veggies, fruit, protein etc. is firewood... bread.. is gasoline... if you throw gas on the campfire... BOOM... the fire will burn out quick...

SO... Bread is good if you have a reason to add it to a meal... IE need a quick jolt of energy before doing some physical activity... BUT if don't need the fire to burnm quite as quick... maybe save the bread for another time.

+ 1

Well said
  • akh1981
    akh1981 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The worst thing you could ever do for yourself is demonize food groups.

If you are allergic to a certain type of food, or you have a medical condition that requires you to stay away from a certain type of food, that is different. However, if you have no allergic reaction or medical condition, and you enjoy it, and it fits in your calories and macros, have at it.

+1
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    YES. Bread IS bad for you. I don't care what all the people above me say. I ate bread one time and I died instantly.

I too died once from eating bread
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    If your bread is bad, perhaps it is because you are a bad parent. Try positive reinforcement as opposed to kneading it when it acts out of line.

Is bread bad? Puh-leeze. That shiz is for the birds.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    It's not trustworthy. Not a bad guy though.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I don't cut anything out... I just enjoy some things in moderation. If you're concerned about it, you could try to focus on whole grain breads or things like English muffins. Or just enjoy any bread you please within your calorie goals :)