Reached the bottom

Options
Greetings!

I remember being overweight from the time I was 4 years old. When I was going into college, I went on the diabetic diet and went from 272 pounds to 200 pounds. It did wonders for my self confidence:). By the time I was working full time, I had ballooned back to 275 pounds. In 1984, I went back to the diabetic diet, counted my calories and lost 100 pounds in 4 months. I gave up alcohol, fried food, and chips (my weakness). I kept the weight off for almost 7 years and then went back to my old ways and gained back every pound plus another 8. For the past 6 months, none of my clothes fit me and it was a real struggle just to go out into public. I hit bottom when my wife started looking at pictures of me from when I was fit and commented on "how handsome" I had been. She has only known the fat me.

I have started running regularly, done away with alcohol, snacks, and over eating and have lost 9 pounds since Christmas. I am following the recommended calories from MyFitnessPal and it is WORKING!

Replies

• loreew32
    Options
    Wow! I really admire you. I know how you feel. I have lost the wieght and swore that I would never go back and of course I did. Ii am sick and tired of being sick and tired not to mention that my kids can see when I am feeling depressed about the way I look. Hang in there and you can do anything you put your mind to!
  • NancyHukka
    Options
    Your story is a reminder that our health requires lifestyle changes that literally need to be kept the rest of our lives! My prayers for your success.
  • luv2workout
    Options
    Congrats ... 9 pounds since Christmas!!! Great job ... keep at it :)
  • lmvolk
    lmvolk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    9 pounds seems like too quick a weight loss. I know it must feel very rewarding to lose weight this fast, though. Be careful to get plenty of healthy foods, and try to be patient!
  • WeightLossTrek
    Options
    I understand exactly what you are going through. I have had much of the same thoughts and problems going out into public. I know that if we take the right approach that our goals are attainable and we will have success.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    Welcome! We're so glad you're here. This site is SO supportive and we're all in this together :)

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Charmagne
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! You got this!
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Welcome! We share a very similar weight loss/gain pattern. I wish you the best of luck!
  • mkautumnb
    Options
    I am so happy for you!! Don't be hard on yourself, look how uch you have lost!! Just keep on it. This site is amazing. I wanted to have a cookie and I thought, I don't want to have to log it, so I passed. It really works!