Crystal Light

Options
13»

Replies

• daalmonette
    daalmonette Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Alt to drinking addicting chemical laced sodas. Soda Stream. I personally don't add anything to the water except the CO2. It has a sweet taste (not sugar sweet but just sweeter than plain water). I can't every drink 8/8 glasses of water without feeling like my stomach is gurgling. But I can guzzle down carbonated water all day. My soda addiction was because I loved the fizz. Now I can have the fizz without the chemicals. Also for flavor I do add Crystal Light or MIO.
  • lautour
    lautour Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try to revive this thread before posting a new one. So here goes....

When is water not watery enough to be logged as water. Is water with Crystal Light, tea, lemon water, or water with mio still water in your diary? Just curious. I don't want to be kidding myself. I just went cold turkey on sodas. I bothered to look and see how many calories I was drinking each day and came to the conclusion that I could lose at least my left cheek and right arm flapper if I stopped drinking it completely. But I got bored with plain ole water after 10 days. So now I'm drinking half my 8 glasses as plain ole water and the rest as one of the above variations. I know there's a debate about artificial sweeteners but I'm not going to worry about that right now. One goal at a time.

So, is it water or is it not? A doc said to me once that if your body has to do anything to it to process it, its not water. Thoughts?

What that doctor said is not true. It's not what an actual dietitian would say or anyone who understands nutrition better than the one class mds get in med school. The two dieticians I've worked with both said it counts. Then I had surgery and could drink nothing but "clear" fluids for weeks. Plain water did not sit well with me at the time. If crystal light wasn't water then I would have died long ago because it's all I drank. Now I rarely drink actual water. Yet I'm well hydrated still with clear urine.

I honestly haven't had 8 glasses of actual water in a day in years. I wouldn't say everyone should do what I do, but know that its all water and the only potential problems are the other things added to these drinks which may have their own effects. But the additions don't make water something other than what it is.

One issue with crystal light is it does have calories. So just dilute it or remember to track it.
  • ReallyBigJAWS
    Options
    The Peach Tea flavor has been my savior. It all started about a year and a half ago when I was at a sandwich shop and really wanted something to drink that was sweet but low in calories, picked up a peach Diet Snapple and everything changed. Dropped soda completely and switched entirely to it and fruit juices. Crystal light tastes almost identical, if not better, and is much cheaper. I literally keep a picture as it's my main drink of choice.

Only things I drink now:
    Crystal light.
    V8 Fusion or V8 Splash diet.
    0 Calorie *random* flavored carbonated water (mix this with some strong fruit juice and it makes an awesome low-cal soda substitute.)
    Chocolate milk I make with almond milk, sugar-free syrup, and stevia. Or just plain old Ovaltine if I'm not minding the extra cals.
    Ice water with lemon.
    Occasional low-carb Monster or Sugar-free Rockstar.
    Thai Tea I make myself with stevia and almond milk.

The higher cal ones are in moderation/maybe once a day.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    There's no conclusive evidence that artificial sweeteners are "unhealthy" but it's hard to argue that they are healthful since for many, it can lead to more sweet/sugar cravings. I like the Crystal Light single serving powder packets. It's 10 cal a packet and the Energy kind wakes you up with caffeine. I love that it tastes a lot better than black coffee! It also goes very well in smoothies/shakes as a sweetener that masks the vegetable taste of kale or whatever.
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I love how so many people give advice like they are doctors on here. it's one thing to give an opinion, but dont state it like its a fact.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I love how so many people give advice like they are doctors on here. it's one thing to give an opinion, but dont state it like its a fact.

I know....all this "it's bad for you talk" is silly.