WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2014

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,968 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: we have had beautiful sunny weather, high temperature 71 so I've found lots of reasons to be outdoors and enjoy the sun.....the dogs prefer the shade when it gets this warm.

:heart: Barbie from sunny NW Washington

:bigsmile: 25,000 steps today
    :bigsmile: two and a half minute plank

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the helpful info to those who responded to my cry for help.
    I have heard of Skype. I have it on my computer, maybe my kindle. I just
    have to learn how to use it. And I have face time on my phone, I just have
    to figure out how to use it. I don't know if you noticed but after being on mfp
    Since January I finally figured out how to put a photo up. This is my grandson
    Joel.
    For those who are going through some tough times, I hope things get better
    real soon.
    Today I received a very nice nsv from a 6yr old.(she's one of my daycare girls)
    I brought their snacks in the room and she asked me if I workout. I said yes
    and she said oh, you look really thin. And her 10 yr old sister agreed. That was so sweet
    It made my day. I still have 53 lbs to lose. Today's weigh in put me down 30 lbs.
    I've been going slightly over my calories and still losing so I'm thinking I should add
    100 cal to my goal and see what happens.
    Kim-I'm already making plans to fly to Colorado, I hear it's really beautiful there.
    If we were retired I'd move there too.
    Brenda in Md
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies :flowerforyou:

They've set up a fundraiser for my niece's daughter, Mariah. Read if you like, all the info is there about the cancer and her brain surgery scheduled for Thursday. All I'm asking for is continued positive thoughts and prayers, but some of you might like to know the details.

http://www.gofundme.com/Mariahsfund

Needless to say, it's been a difficult week. I managed to get out and do some intensive gardening over the last few days, which is where I run in times of emotional upheaval. Just gimme dat hoe. :wink:

All the best,

:smile: jb in summery Portland
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Brenda, I have had my Ipad for quite a while but I still don't know how to use my face time that well. She knows that to get me she has to be the one to call because I do know how to answer a face time call. All I know is that for skype and face time you have an address like an email. I don't think it's your actual email account but it reminds me of an email type of address. I used skype to talk to my SIL, now ex SIL while he was stationed in Iraq. It is a wonderful tool.

Joyce, Indiana
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,373 Member
    Options
    DeeDee - how wonderful, a wedding in Hawaii!!! Just let me know if you need someone to carry your bags...I have been working out so I'm in shape....lol

Patty - how I wish we'd get some rain!!! This red clay is rock solid, at least some rain would probably make it a little easier to dig in. Oh, did I tell you all? This year we're planning to put in landscape lights along one side of the front walkway. That means that we need to dig down about 2 inches. Then we have to dig the trench for the border and then the trench for the wire for the lights. Install the lights, then landscape fabric and (yes again) riverrock. This year we're planning to just riverrock under the deck, around the lights, finish on the side of the garage, and then just fill in some. That's going to be IT for this year. Next year Vince wants to extend the drainpipes in the front and then hopefully, we can get a lawn in.

Did about 55 minutes of a spinning downloadable workout today. Tomorrow I'm planning to do Jillian Michael's Extreme Shed and Shred DVD. then we have a Newcomer general meeting and then the bowling organizational meeting. Usually after these meetings you can bowl 3 games for free, but we probably won't stay for that. We're thinking that we'll cut the grass afterwards (and then go in the pool)

Tammy in VA Beach - congrats on that graduation

Carol in NC - fresh fish!!!! Oh, you are so lucky

Cindy - lovely pic

Now to go out to the pool after putting on my sunscreen

tere - so sorry about your son and everything else going on in your life.

Just got back from Rummikub. Had a small piece of this chicken pie. It was all meat - no veges, some salad (no dressing), some of the cheese meatballs that I brought, roasted veges (were they ever good, only I'm going to have a reaction to the red beets (oh well), and fruit salad for dessert. Did have one candy, tho. But only water to drink (probably about 20oz)

Margaret - your powwow sounds like so much fun!

Alison - it never ceases to amaze me how many veges I can have and still be under calories. How horrible about your eye doc

Brenda - kids say the truth.

Michele in NC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,079 Member
    Options
    Just learned that acogg ( She has posted on this site) needs our prayers. Her husband had a heart attack and a crucial member of his business just handed in his two week notice. Take care MFP's friends. Be well...

:heart:
    Margaret
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Prayers and hugs to all who need them. :heart:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All,
    We were suppose to get storms last night but I didn't hear any rain. I walked on all three breaks yesterday then after work I went to cycling class and then tried the ropes class. After that I went home and mowed. I was one tired gal by the time I finished. It is suppose to rain the rest of the week so I felt I had to get it done. I did sleep very well. Today I am a bit sore in the shoulders and my knee is sore as well. I will walk on my breaks and do strength training but that's it. The knee needs time to recoup I think.
    Not much happening today. This week-end is my DGD's birthday party and the twins last soccer game is Sunday, hoping the rain stops by Saturday.
    I guess I better get to work, Oh I did have 17,255 steps on my Fitbit last night!

Barbie, You are right, it’s not totally about the money. I will buy the insurance and my main reason for becoming a personal trainer was to help others and to stay in shape myself. That being said I don’t want it to cost me a bundle either.

Tammy VA, Congrats to your graduate.

Margaret, Dancing at a Powwow sounds like a blast and isn’t it wonderful when you can check off a bucket list item.

Yanniejannie, I am glad to hear your DD is on the mend and will be graduating.

Jb Portland, Thoughts and prayers with your niece’s daughter and the family.

Take care,
    Patty Cincinnati OH
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,079 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • madgoth
    madgoth Posts: 60
    Options
    Hello all,

I am back after who knows how long and too many pounds gained. But that is old news.
    Today I had a good breakfast and decided it was time to log it in. I hope to recall how it was to check in and state your goals etc., but right now I am glad I am even thinking about it.

Glad to be back.
    :bigsmile:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,766 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    well I feel like I am getting back on track... I have decided that if the weather's nice I will race walk, and if it is rainy I will hit the gym, I enjoy getting outside and hearing the birds and seeing the sights...
    dont have to work until 1 today, so have laundry going and took the puppies for a walk... will go see my DFIL since I didnt see him yesterday.. and stop and see my brother...
    p.s. I fixed the ticker to reflect the weight gain:grumble:
  • Ninabee150
    Ninabee150 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hey ladies. Nina from Texas. We have gotten some much needed rain last couple of days! Heading to Dallas VA for dh appt. I am married 44 years to my VietNam Marine who is disabled. Lots of complications from going to VN. Have a great OP day.:drinker:
  • janetgilmartin
    janetgilmartin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

New to the group. Tired of my pants not fitting. I need to track regularly and workout regularly. I used to work out faithfully but lately too tired and too much going on. I know my hormones are not helping me in the way I feel and my weight gain. But I think working out will help the hormone situation. My goal for may is to exercise everyday -- even if it is just walking -- but I have to get back to weightlifting too. Glad to have found this group so we can motive each other!

Janet
  • tammytylerjones
    tammytylerjones Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    YannieJannie! Great news about your daughter. Glad she will be able to graduate. :smile: My cousin graduated from there many moons ago!

Glad to hear everyone is getting some much needed sunshine/or rain! and able to get out and be more fit.

I also have fitbit flex and have a question for you. Do you think it is accurate? I wear mine on my non dominant arm, have it set for dominant, but feel like it over calculates my steps. Funny story: when I first got it, I downloaded the app to my IPad, then excitedly looked to see my step count. The first day I wore it, it looked like I had run a marathon!!!! between 8 and 11! Well, it was Christmas Day and while I cooked dinner, etc., I certainly hadn't walked THAT many steps, THAT late at night.... turns out I realized I had been sitting in our swivel rocker. I've noticed since then, that whenever I am in that rocker, it records steps. Has anyone else had a similar experience? and if so, is there any thing I can do to reduce the overage?

Also, I have a hard time, really, really, understanding the fitbit/mfp sync. I just don't get it. haha!

Well, have a great day!
    xoxo
    Tammy in Virginia Beach
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone,

I worked out in the garden for about 2 hours this morning. I got 2 beds tilled up and some beans planted. Also did a little weed wacking.

I'm meeting my sister at the Farmer's market for lunch today. Hopefully I can get some plants at a decent price.

I'm going to plant some okra. Did you know it is a relative of the hibiscus? The okra flower is beautiful and now I know why! I'll take a picture of one when they start to bloom.

My DD came over yesterday with her wedding gown that she had just picked up from the alterations place. She put it on a modeled it for us. She is going to be such a beautiful bride! When she walks down the isle I'm going to be looking at the groom because I want to see his expression. I told her I think he will "cry" when he sees her. He's one blessed man to have found this woman (even if she is my child).

Lots to do today but did want to check in. I haven't been too diligent with logging my food. Hopefully it will be a better day today!

I'm off to the races!!!!!

Cindy
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Lovely Ladies,

It is a nice day in OK. We got some much needed rain the last few days. I am down another pound and trying to decide when/how to approach maintenance. I welcome any tips. I now weigh 126 and want to stay between 122-124 pounds. I used to be at 116-118, I think that is too thin at 5'3", at least for me.

Tere, hugs for all you are dealing with. :heart:

Sylvia, glad you had fun on your trip.:smile:

DeeDee, Hawaii is wonderful! I hope you go! Congratulations on such an appealing "view" in your backyard!:love:

Brenda, hugs for you. :heart: There are many ways to stay in touch, Skyping is great, I have a friend that is close to her Dad and Skypes each evening. She even shows him what she makes for dinner!:smile:

Jb, thinking of you and your family.:flowerforyou:

Welcome all new ladies.:flowerforyou:

Hugs to all those struggling, congratulations to those with victories.

Cindy in OK
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,968 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I had to stop in for a little encouragement from all of you before heading off for my day. I woke up early and walked the dogs before breakfast. After breakfast I walked them again for as long as they wanted and have 13,000 steps already. Now I'm dressed and ready to head for the two hour intermediate line dance class where there will be a new dance along with the older ones that we've been working on. After class I'll drive for 30 minutes and eat my lunch in the car on the way to substitute for the line dance teacher in the next town who is gone on vacation. The afternoon class lasts over 2 hours but the dances are easier. A day full of dancing and dog walking is as nearly perfect as a day can be.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:heart: Barbie:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • heidihurl
    heidihurl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi All! I am new to this board and think it's a GREAT idea. Finding that I am needing more and more support with less and less resources to pull from. MFP is wonderful and I thank you ALL for the motivation and help.

What goals and resolutions have you set for May?: I am starting 1/2 way through the month of May, making a goal to eat healthier and enjoy more exercise... So far today has been great YESTERDAY was not... so I am starting FRESH and new. My goal is to lose and firm... drop 10 - 15 pounds over the summer. That's 5.5 months, 3 pounds a month. And toning... HUGE.. I am looking like the pillsbury dough boy.. never had this body before... UGH.. where did it come from?? Staying positive and happy.. VERY important.

Heidi from the South Shore of Massachusetts
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies. I am so looking forward to a better day. Yesterday I get to work and find out I was trainning again for 8 hours. The lady is doing well so what I ended up doing was just sitting with her watching her work. Made the day go so slow. Then last evening we went to our DGD's preschool graduation and they had it outside. Now it is only 50 degrees and they have the supper and program outside. By the time we left to come home I was numb. I ended up over on eating. It was fruit, but did have a small piece of cake. At weigh in yesterday I was down a pound. Started the walking challange at work this week. Walking 200,000 steps in the next 30 days.
    Those stroms on Sunday were terrible. My DB in Beaver Crossing got hit. No one was hurt, but most the town torn up. They lost their van, trees, windows and part of the roof. No power in town and Red Cross is there. I am so glad no one was killed. Meg glad the worst part missed Omaha.

Sylvia--Glad to hear you had a nice Mothers day and DS calling. I know what you mean I enjoy spending time with DH and when we go on a trip we just like taking out time and checking things out as we go. The joke in our family is we can leave the same time as everyone else, but it takes us longer to get to where we are going as we stop so much. But we have fun. Congrates on the loss.

Michele--I remember years ago I went to see Richard Simmons and exercised with him. I thought he was so funny. I do enjoy the old songs. Makes me feel young. LOL Good news about the insurance, sure did take them long enough.

Patty--glad to hear your class was informative. I do think we all need to be more careful of what is going on around us.

Gloria--sounds so scary, glad you got the post taken down.

Brenda--Sorry to hear about DGC moving so far away. Hugs!! Great NSV and as they say out of the mouth of babes.

Tere--Hugs!

jb--keeping Mariah and all of you in our prayers. Thanks for sharing the web site for info.

I am still waiting for my fitbit to arrive. I ordered it April 28th. I did get a number to call and will do that when I get off work today. I am so looking forward to having it and see how it compares to what I have been doing. Just hope I can figure out how to sync it with my phone and computer.

Barbie--Hope you enjoy your almost prefect day.

Prayers and hugs to those in need. Welcome to all the newbies. You have found a great group for support and friendship. I am going to walk home from work today and hoping to start mowing the yard. Sounds like we could get some rain, so see what is going on.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: Enjoying having my DD here visiting. We are not getting quite as much done as we anticipated but that is okay. I heard from my pulmonologist this morning. He has consulted with others including the hematologist and they have decided to keep me on the prednisone one more month but I get to quit the antibiotic. I will see him again in three months for CT, blood tests, checkup. We will see what things look like then. In the meantime I will continue with my summer plans and try to stay in the moment as Barbie advises.

Congratulations to all with students graduating!!!!

I hadn't thought to check when our farmer's market opens for the year. I should do that. Thanks to someone for mentioning it.

Michele - "Off the Wall" I think is made by Bioguard. We get it through a pool supply store.

Well I need to get busy and plant a few flowers and some grass seed. It is actually sunny out today but only supposed to be 59*. Meg we had thunderstorms but no tornados.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD