Men of MFP, I want your opinions!

Options

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    STAINLESS STEEL!!!!

THAT DOESN'T SHOW FINGER PRINTS OR ANY SMUDGES OF ANY KIND!

However, that's not an industrial designer's job to come up with that material/coating. That's more R&D.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    What is a clean eating appliance?
  • 424a57
    424a57 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but you did ask for my opinion. Here it is:

I don't weigh my food, I don't drink smoothies, and I would not even know what to do with an "olive oil mister". I can't imagine why you would want to market these products to men.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm an industrial design student, and I am about to design a line of health food and clean-eating appliances geared to sell to the men of the healthy living movement. My research so far shows that many appliances geared toward personal health are either androgynous or feminine in appearance, and a bit expensive. Some even look like something you'd find in a medical office.

What features would you want to see in products aimed at your demographic? Both visually and technologically. I am focusing on designing a food scale, a single-serving smoothie blender, and an olive oil mister.

Thanks for your replies, you're all such a great help.

I've typically found that men aren't as easily convinced to buy products based on visuals. We buy things based on factors like price and usefulness.

Yes, this a not-so-thinly-veiled insult towards women.

ETA: Though as I read the thread I may have to adjust my opinion, maybe it's just me?
    Pretty much this... Marketing for such gadgets is geared toward women for a reason. Generally, it's because they buy the stuff (statistics don't lie). Men, we don't need the gadgets, $40 walnut cracker... yeah we call that a $10 hammer. $60 shake mixer... yeah, were perfectly fine shaking the sh1t out of a $3 water bottle. With that said, I'd still be interested in a topless mermaid blender.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    What features would you want to see in products aimed at your demographic? Both visually and technologically. I am focusing on designing a food scale, a single-serving smoothie blender, and an olive oil mister.
    Make it affordable, budget-friendly and reasonably priced. Don't care what it looks like.

And by the way,
    Funniest_Memes_you-call-that-a-knife_4256.jpeg
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    I just want a 7-7'6" ultralite spinning rod with a good blank and good components that is a fast action.

Apparently this product is impossible to produce as no rod maker has gotten it right yet.
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    She actually asked us? I am another who does not buy on looks...function and price are my measuring points. Though come to think of it...naw just kidding functionality is the key...a hammer will do for juicing until I find sometime a little better.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Make it out brushed steel or carbon or preferably a combination of the two and you're onto a winner. Also make sure they never break, ever. I like to buy things once.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    For a serious answer, I tend to prefer function over form. I have yet to buy anything because it looks "manly" or whatever. I buy what serves a purpose. Now, if there are certain colors in the room where something is going to be kept, I might impulsively grab something in that color, but that's about it.
  • Illini_Jim
    Illini_Jim Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Work on developing pelletized food that can be easily scrounged in the dark caves we’ll all be lurking in when the zombies take over.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    back in the 80's my Dad had a built in "receiver" into one of the kitchen counters.
    He could put a blender, a mixer, a big can opener, and a few other things in this single receiver.
    Kind of like a Ryobi cordless set that all uses the same battery.
    Design an entire kitchen suite that all runs off of the same receiver motor.
    As you can tell, brushed aluminum is popular.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Food scale that calls you Big Daddy. Blender in the shape of a busty mermaid. Olive oil mister that groans with each spray.

Well I can't speak for the OP, but this reply was a great help to me personally because I needed a laugh this morning. So thanks for that.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Make sure you develop the nail polish line for the men who actually buy these "appliances"
  • OnAllFours
    OnAllFours Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    The food scale I think could be on a bigger platform. Something that has a little weight behind it. When I push the tare button I don't want it sliding around. I want to be able to put a big bowl on it.

The blender should have a modern contemporary look, not so rounded off.

All should be stainless steel or black or any combo of. They should be damn easy to clean, no dinky parts to have to pull apart. With any smooth surface you should have no problem with finger prints and really a mans kitchen shall not show them.. Brushed SS would work well.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    STAINLESS STEEL!!!!

YES! I want something that is easy to clean and reliable.

I would never imagine using an olive oil mister, and very rarely would I use a food scale. But a single serving smoothy maker, kind of like a milkshake machine from Dairy Queen seems about right. If it makes single serving margaritas all the better.
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I just want a 7-7'6" ultralite spinning rod with a good blank and good components that is a fast action.

Apparently this product is impossible to produce as no rod maker has gotten it right yet.

Nope.
    But here, take this oil mister that makes sex noises.
    Enjoy.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I'll stay away from the more raucous comments to add the following:
    1. functional w/o requiring a phd to operate
    2. can take a beating - I hate **** that breaks the second or third time (or even the 100th time) that you use it, plus I won't coddle any appliance that I use - if it can't take the heat, it shouldn't be in the kitchen
    3. design is not so important - clean, industrial lines are best but function trumps form
    4. easy to clean - no nooks and crannies that hide food and cause buildup and problems later

I'd also go with the V8 power source - can never have too much power!!! :noway:
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of guy friends whom have bought kitchen appliances and utensils that they have never used nor will they ever use them because they had something to do with a nostaligic idea. Like and R2D2 cookie jar and Measuring cups that stack into a robot. Though generally geared towards the geek minded male it also manages to appeal to the geek minded females which is a rapidly expanding sect of society.

Edited to add that I am not packing a package in my pants so my opinion is moot. Simply an observation of mine.
  • love2lift_85
    love2lift_85 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    LOL this thread is fantastic :-)
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Not a guy but I think I can offer you some insight...

First, you're barking up the wrong tree. Most guys don't do gadgets and if they do, it's because a woman in their life bought it for them.

2nd, And I'm going to say this as delicately as possible as not to inadvertently break any rules... as the daughter of two gay men, I can tell you that middle aged gay men are a good target audience for these things. They've tried every diet known to man and bought all the gadgets that go with them. That being said, cost will matter not nearly as much to them as functionality and product placement. If it's easy to use, easy to wash and easy to find when looking at other healthy-conscious items then it'll probably sell to this demographic. Another huge plus for a smoothie-anything would be portability of the unit itself and/or the container.