Happy Hump day!!!
    Welcome to the new ladies.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    HUGS:heart::heart: :heart:
    jane
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Alison: I’m glad to hear you’re back on track.:flowerforyou:

Nina from TX: Thank you to your Veteran for his service. :flowerforyou: Welcome to a great group.:flowerforyou:

Mamacindy: I’m looking forward to the okra flower picture. I had deep fried okra in Arkansas years ago, but otherwise have very little experience with it. How do you plan to use it? :flowerforyou:

Barbie: I’m happy that you’re looking forward to your day. I've said this before; you must be the energizer bunny! Your joy in dance is a wonderful thing for your students and for you.:flowerforyou:

Heidi from MA: Welcome. Your loss goals are ambitious. I was able to average a little more than apound a week while in the weightloss portion of this adventure although it wasn't a steady decline. There were many plateaus and drops along the way. Maintaining is a new challenge for me. The collective wisdom is that 1-1.5 pounds a week is a sustainable, healthy way to lose and gives a better chance of keeping the weight off.:flowerforyou:

Welcome to newbies and welcome back to boomerangs! :flowerforyou:

Here is a reminder/warning. We are within about 20 posts of hitting the 500 mark. When that happens, likely today, this thread closes and another is opened. You can find the link to the new thread on the 500th post to this thread. You can find this thread by going to Community, Message Boards & My Topics. Best basic advice: Measure what you eat, log every bite and swallow even if you’re over the number of calories allowed to you, move more, and drink water.

On a personal level, I attended a city meeting last night and didn’t get home until almost midnight. Today I seem to have Montezuma’s Revenge so I didn’t dare go to DH’s acupuncture appointment with him this morning. I need to be with in running distance of the loo.:blushing: :tongue:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

May Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least two glasses of water daily.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Today's joke of the day:

:happy:

Earl and Bob, both obsessed with baseball, never missed their favorite team’s game. They promised, whoever died first, and went to heaven, would come back to earth and tell the other if there was baseball in heaven. One day, Earl died. Bob waited for him to come back. Finally Earl did. He said to Bob. "I have good news and bad news. I'll tell you the good news first. There is baseball in heaven." Bob said, "That’s the best news!" Then Earl said, time for the bad news....”You're pitching tomorrow night."

:laugh:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Vicki, about ordering your fit bit. I went to Walmart and bought mine right off the shelf.. I believe Best Buy carries them also.

100% chance of rain today, so far it is dry. I'm ready for spring to be over.

Joyce, Indiana
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    I just got a call from my son asking me to pick up the rest of the kids from school. The seven year old fell on the playground and broke her arm. He's at the hospital now with her getting it set. I said, maybe it's not broken? He said mom, arms don't bend like that. But of course they are xraying it anyway. Poor little thing. And right here at the start of summer.

Sylvia
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Good Afternoon,

Regarding the Fitbit, everyone's pretty much carrying them. Just saw that Kohl's has them so you can probably it cheaper on senior discount day or a coupon.

Just a quick skim/pass through on a busy, wet, dreary Wednesday. Been on the run all day, did my workout at 5:15 so I wouldn't miss it.

Supervising some homework and getting ready to start some turkey tacos for dinner.

Will try to check back later.

Gloria in Metro Detroit
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    It's official. She broke both bones in the left forearm. They thought they might have to do surgery and pin it, but they decided they could just set it using conscious sedation, then put on a cast. At our Podunk hospital they don't do waterproof casts, either. That would have been so nice. Oh well. It should only be six weeks. She'll still have a little summer left.

Gloria, I checked the web site for Kohls, but could not find the Fitbit Flex that I'm looking for. They had the replacement bands but not the main unit. Weird! Maybe they have them in the store. I hope my 30% off coupon will be good on one. That would be great!
    It's worth a trip to Joplin to check.

Goodnight everyone!

Sylvia
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. LOOOOONG day of meetings at work. Now a student who failed is mad because she missed the final and had to make it up in the library (that's our system) and since she couldn't ask questions, she is contesting her grade. *heavy sigh

Not going to be here more today....my brother and sil are in town and we are going out. Have a great evening. Take care Meg from Omaha where there are $500 of annual plants in my car that now I have to plant!
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody, just a "sign of life" from me; slowly weaning myself off the stress eating and getting back into the swing of things.
    I have a lot to catch up on, but wish everyone well at this point.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • Debra129
    Debra129 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone,

I am excited waiting for my spin bike to be arrive this weekend. Its a long road back to fitness from where I am now but I know I can do it. Right now I am not sure what I weigh but I am sure its in the range of at least 260 but I need it back down to 160.

Started today with my plan to abstain from sugar and alcohol, the next few days are sure to be hard. Headache is raging now, but it will be worth this pain to get rid of the pains in my body from carrying all this weight.

Years ago I was heavier than now, about 60 lbs heavier but I don't think my body is strong enough to carry that weight again, moving is painful as it is.

Deb
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    Michele - I tried the corn on the cob in the microwave with the husks on tonight. It was fantastic! That's the way I'm doing it from now on. Thanks!

Sylvia
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling the stress. This is the same kind I felt when we were planning our vacation to Myrtle beach 2 years ago. My daughter took it over for me. We spent many hours looking at what she had chosen for us to narrow down. I may have to do that this time. It was a little cool during fall break at Myrtle Beach so we were looking for something in a warmer area. So we have been looking along the gulf coast but it is several hundred dollars more than Myrtle Beach. My husband says he will be content with not having something big to go to like at Myrtle Beach. But I know him. Just willing himself to be content will not work. He needs something to do and not just sit on the beach all day. My youngest daughter will be going with us also and she doesn't like the beach at all but likes to go on vacation with us and she adores playing with her nieces. I know she will spend a lot of time splashing around with them. She just doesn't want to go very far in the ocean. Charlie had given us our budget and now says we can go higher but I also know him in that this budget has gone up and down since we started planning it. I talked to one of the rental agents on the gulf coast and he said the average temps aren't much higher than Myrtle Beach so that didn't help at all. Anyone have any experience down there???

I tried to figure out a vacation in St Louis but 3 days in a hotel would be the same as 5 nights in a beach house. We like a house because we are all in one place and not sitting in our own respective rooms and the girls have play area plus we can cook. I'm just plain stressed! P;us wet because of all the rain. I would change into dry clothes but I will be leaving shortly to got o choir practice and just getting wet again. Calgon take me away!

Joyce, Indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Today's joke of the day:

:happy:

Earl and Bob, both obsessed with baseball, never missed their favorite team’s game. They promised, whoever died first, and went to heaven, would come back to earth and tell the other if there was baseball in heaven. One day, Earl died. Bob waited for him to come back. Finally Earl did. He said to Bob. "I have good news and bad news. I'll tell you the good news first. There is baseball in heaven." Bob said, "That’s the best news!" Then Earl said, time for the bad news....”You're pitching tomorrow night."

:laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks! I needed that.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Joyce - I love the beach in the fall! I don't know your time frame, but it can easily get into the upper 80s and lower 90s here in October. Granted, it can also not get out of the 50s. The water temps are typically still pretty warm during most of October. Mrytle Beach is south of here and we used to go every October.

Sylvia - I'm so sorry about the broken wrist. My son has had three of them, varying in severity. I ended up getting him a special sleeve thing for swimming and bathing when he broke one the 2nd time. That was the worst one. He broke it in the first hour of the first day of the first week of football camp. They set it while the cast was still moldable and I wanted to cry because it was so painful for him! Within the week, he decided to disturb a hornets' nest and was stung inside the opening of the cast. I was nearly out of my mind! This was a month after he had spent six days in the behavioral ward of a hospital in the next city over for suicide prevention. He was eleven! And, I was a single mom by this point. Let's just say that he and I have a very special relationship.

JB - I have no words to express my sorrow at what you and your family are going through. My grandnieces are my surrogate grandchildren and own pieces of my heart. Hugs to you!

I still feel pretty crappy. A lot of it is that overwhelming feeling of exhaustion one gets when one is not really well enough to work but the bills have to be paid. Aaaarrrggghh!

I did make arrangements for the guy to come and strip wallpaper and paint next week! I hope he can get it done quickly so that I am not without a bathroom for more than a day. My friend comes up from South Carolina at the end of next week to help me deep clean. I need to get some more stuff out of the house before then and this coming weekend is packed with church and work stuff. This infection needs to take a hike so I can make progress!

Gotta go prepack breakfast and lunch for tomorrow. Have a great evening!

Carol in NC
  • gmom316
    Options

Gloria, I checked the web site for Kohls, but could not find the Fitbit Flex that I'm looking for. They had the replacement bands but not the main unit. Weird! Maybe they have them in the store. I hope my 30% off coupon will be good on one. That would be great!
    It's worth a trip to Joplin to check.

Sylvia

Just saw them in their weekly sale paper a week or so ago. I'll have to look in last week's paper to see if it's there....in the morning, I'm beat.
  • gmom316
    Options
    One more tidbit. My stepfather told me he's buying a Corvette. Part of me thinks it's a little soon to be making big decisions and the bigger part of me agrees with him that life is short and my mom is living (well not anymore) proof that we're here one day and gone the next....so party on.

Been up and running since 4:45 am. I'm tired and am going to try to stay awake long enough to get through DVR'd NCIS.

Catch ya'll tomorrow.

Gloria in COLD and DAMP Metro Detroit
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options
    Did an hour 1/4 of Jillian Michaels Extreme Shed and Shred DVD today. Tomorrow I'm planning to do Jari Love's Ripped and Chiseled DVD, then volunteer at the Green Room (season's almost over) then go get my hair colored. I guess before the Green Room I should stop at one grocery store to get a 6 pack of beer for beer can chicken, then stop at the food pantry. One lady left these muffins at the General Meeting, she asked if I could freeze them (really, I'd prefer to have the room in my freezer) so I told her if she didn't mind, I'd donate them to the soup kitchen. That's what I always do with any leftovers from the General Meetings. Then after the Green Room on my way to getting my haircut, I'll stop at Big Lots to exchange the float I got for my pool. I really really like it, but it doesn't seem to be made sturdily. After having it for only 2 weeks, I developed a hole at the seam. The manufacturer told me to take it back to the store for an exchange.

Margaret - thanks for telling us about acogg's husband. Next time you "talk" to her, give her my love

Patty - boy, you sure were one busy bee yesterday! Tell us about the ropes class.

madgoth - welcome back!

Nina - at our Newcomer meeting they're going to honor our servicepeople. The guy who is supposed to talk, I'm very proud of him. I remember his wife telling me that for the longest time he couldn't talk to anyone about his experiences in VN (seems he was shot down and escaped). I remember her telling me that he was seeing a psychiatrist to deal with this. Now he can actually talk about it! She didn't say that he's still seeing the psychiatrist, so I don't think he is. But to be able to talk about it, THAT'S a big step for him.

janet and Heidi (better to start 1/2 way thru the month than not at all, so happy you're here) - welcome!

Vicki - you probably burned a ton of calories just keeping yourself warm. So sorry about your brother. Glad he wasn't hurt. A few years ago Jessica was flying to Australia, and on the leg from the East coast to the West coast, she met Richard Simmons on the plane! I'm still jealous

Cindy - have you ever had red okra? To me, it is even better than the green okra. I don't think it's as "stringy". I eat it just raw in my salad. Hope you feel better fast

Sylvia - so sorry about your granddaughter. Kids are made of steel with a rubber coating, I always say. A waterproof cast WOULD have been nice. Glad you enjoyed the corn on the cob

Meg - have fun with your bro and SIL

Sue in SD - congrasts on getting rid of one of the antibiotics. Thanks for the info about "off the Wall"

Had the Newcomer general meeting. the speaker was one of our members who talked about his time in VietNam. I'm happy for him because for the longest time he couldn't even talk about it. I never knew how he'd gotten shot down but then rescued. It really was a very interesting talk. I am sure that the gal who is president arranged this, the one who does the speakers didn't even pronounce his name right! In a sense, I just hope she lets this gal do her job. She took over part of my job at one point. Well, we shall see what the future brings.

Then we had the organizational meeting for the summer bowling league. One team is going to bowl a "vacancy" (no one on that team). Why they just don't take one person from 4 different teams and make up another team is beyond me. I was told that the reason there are 4 and not 3 on a team is because some people have a hard time breathing. Well, it would go slower if they were playing a team of at least 3 rather than a team of zero. But that's not my call. Honestly, in the winter Vince and I will probably change to another bowling alley, at least they have 3 on their team so you get out at a fairly reasonable hour.

Then we came home and cut the lawn then went in the pool. After these organizational meetings you get 3 free games, but we just decided to skip them. The bad thing is that there is this one guy on my team who sometimes makes inappropriate comments,etc. I remember when I first started bowling, he was on my team. I didn't know how to take some of the things he said, I didn't know if he was kidding or not. Some people you know they are kidding so you just accept this. I understand that he makes comments to women at the other bowling alley, too. Well, I guess we shall see what happens. If he says something or does something, I know the other two guys on the team will stick up for me and tell him to "quit it". I just realized that I'm the only woman on the team!

Had a small NSV today. At the General Meeting, one lady brought these blueberry mini muffins. Really, she just went to the store and bought them, but that's OK. Anyway, she asked if I could freeze the remainder. Well, I'm going to donate them, but for some reason I just wanted one, so I took one. I only got half of it in my mouth and threw the rest of it away, it didn't taste good at all to me. Just interesting how I wanted it, but when I had some, it just wasn't good at all, I didn't enjoy it one bit.

One lady is proposing having a "social" at this country club where you prepay her $21.50 and get a choice of one of three entrees. Then another lady is proposing an event were you go to Asheville and get on a comedy bus, it will cost something like $24. To me personally, I'm really not interested in spending $22 for a dinner at a place that I don't know with food that I may not even want. We wouldn't go to the bus ride in Asheville anyway as I think we're going to go to VA that weekend. But asking people to spend so much money??? I don't know, doesn't sit real well with me. Well, I don't plan to go to either event anyway.

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,975 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: today was a great day and all the dancing was even more fun than I had expected. When I got home I made my regular Wednesday phone call to the line dance teacher I've replaced.....she is getting healthier but hates being a burden on her daughter's family by staying with them. I am so glad I made the decision to call her every Wednesday even though we aren't planning dance classes together......then the dogs wanted to walk even though Jake had walked them several times while I was gone...it is so warm here that I didn't need a jacket.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

1140350y6xzy9bjr7.gif
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm just stopping by to ask for prayers for the people in San Diego and all around. We have at least 8 separate fires going...some are destroying homes and businesses. It's very hot and windy making things hard for the firefighters. None of the fires are too near my house right now so I'm thankful for that. All of the schools around are closed tomorrow because it's dangerous to be out on the freeways and the air quality is bad.

Thanks for your prayers...

Eileen near San Diego
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I wonder how close to #500 I will be.

Physical therapist gave me a new task today. I have to tape my fingers down into a fist and leave it for 30 minutes each day. This should get rid of the final stiffness in my fingers. I can already tell a difference. I can (barely)'touch my thumb to my pinky. If I can do this after one day, imagine a week!

Life is good.down to less than a month of work.