I Need the BEST Guac Recipe, Ever!!

Options

Replies

• lori8431
    lori8431 Posts: 68
    Options
    I love avocado for everything. Spread it on ezekiel bread, dice over cottage cheese with tomato and cucumber. I also broil it in oven with chipotle peppers, shredded cheese, onion and lime juice.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    1 Avacado
    Juice of 1/2 lime
    a little sea salt

DONE

Tho admittedly, I will from time to time add tomatoes, garlic, onion, and/or cilantro...but they're not necesary
  • moviestarsara
    Options
    I found a super simple, super yummy avocado chicken burrito recipe on Pinterest. It’s basically avocado, chicken, mozzarella, and cilantro in a tortilla. I will have to look it up when I get home. I might also need to make it when I get home…

It's not guac, but it's delicious.
  • hig17
    hig17 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Seriously! I've fallen in love with Avocado's...truly! And it's not because of the quirky Subway commercials, either!

I'd love to get my hands on your favorite Guac recipe, and while you're at it, what do you like to pair your Guac with? Tacos? Chips? I am trying to stay away from chips since they are so naughty!

How about just Avocado alone...how do you like to do up this lovely green veg? It's disappointing that it pretty much has to be eaten with a short time after cutting it open, so I'm trying to find ways of not wasting this delightful green fat burning machine!

HELP! :)

MY FAVORITE:

Avocado (of course lol)
    Fresh Cilantro
    Fresh Lime Juice
    Diced red onion
    salt
    pepper

Mash it all together = delicious

Optional are diced jalapenos if you like spicy.
  • SkinnyRuthy
    SkinnyRuthy Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the lovely suggestions everyone!!!! Before I posted this forum, I had mashed an avocado, added a bit of onion powder, and garlic salt and my son and husband went gaga for it on their burgers and such. I loved it as well which made me wonder if that glorious awesomeness could possibly taste any better at my own hand. We had also tried a garden fresh guacamole that was out of this world...loved it! The trouble with the ones I mash up is that they turn dark very fast in the fridge, so I really appreciate the acidity suggestions. Sort of like an apple won't turn brown if it has a bit of lemon on it. Ya'll rock!!!

Oh, and to the couple buggers that keep getting ultra defensive and weird about their guac suggestions and disagreeing on what should/shouldn't go in it, ya serious are such downers! Just lighten up and let go. That kind of nastiness is gonna turn YOU green. LET. IT. GO.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Mine is super basic. Avocados mashed up and add minced garlic, sea salt and lime juice and mix well. You can take a slice of Ezekiel bread and lightly toast it and spread the guacamole on it. Its like eating a giant cracker. lol You can add sliced tomatoes to it and top it with a bit more sea salt and its really yummy!

I guess the best way to eat guacamole, is however you prefer it.
  • ritan7471
    ritan7471 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    That sounds delicious!

My mom and dad always used to share an avocado for a treat when I was a kid (I hated avocado then)
    Nowadays I eat it just salt and pepper. At work one day my coworker said, I'm glad there's someone else that eats avocados like I do.

I really can't wait to try some of the guacamole recipes, though. thanks everyone for sharing yours :drinker:
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    bump for viewing at a later date.
  • jcas23
    jcas23 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sounds really good. I'm going to try it! I make an avacado and tomato salsa similar to that. I dice up some tomato, red onion, cilantro, and avacado. Mix it together, squeeze a little lime juice, salt and pepper and its ready to go. Great over grilled chicken!
  • lwanbaugh81
    lwanbaugh81 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If you want to store it in the fridge put a little lime juice over the top then take a piece of saran wrap and press it down right into the top of the guac then cover with foil or put a lid on it. That will help a little. I never really make more then I'm going to eat in one sitting though! Avocados are delicious, welcome to the dark side!
    Lindsey
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i throw all sorts of stuff in mine -- so it might be beaten down haha.

avocados
    garlic salt or garlic powder
    cumin
    garlic cloves
    cayenne pepper
    red onion
    tomato
    jalenpeno
    cilantro
    lemon/lime juice
    salt

the measurements are always by taste, but watch out... don't be too heavy handed with the cumin or cayenne pepper.
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Also it my be an urban myth, but they say to keep the stones in with the guacamole and that also helps with the browning.

if you want your avocados to ripen faster stick them in a brown paper bag with an apple.....
  • 78105234a
    78105234a Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Low sodium recipe: 1 large ripe avacado, 2 cocktail or i medium tomato, 1 seeded jalapeno, pinch of garlic powder, 2 spring onion diced, 1 tsp. lime juice.... mix it all up.. party for 1..... hummus chips are good with it... also can add that to greek yogurt and a bit of cilantro and make it a topping for grilled chicken , fish or pork...I also add a bit of cayenne when making it just for me :)
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I always do the Barefoot Contessa recipe. You can google it. Super simple, but absolutely delicious!
  • mythopoeic
    mythopoeic Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    When it comes to guacamole, my philosophy is the simpler the better. That said, I've been thinking about adding a packet of Sazon Goya to it. It's the secret ingredient to a lot of prize-winning chili recipes and I think it would go well in some guac.
  • ChevyChey
    ChevyChey Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    IMO: Simplicty is the key to GREAT guacamole.

Avocado, salt, and SERRANO peppers. PERIOD

I leave the pits in the guac to keep it from turnging OR

I puree one tomato with the serrano pepper to add to the mashed avacado to keep it from turning and not taste too citrusy.

My two cents: If you wanted to add chopped tomatoes, onion, cilantro, then you want PICO DE GALLO and the Avocado should be chopped as well, not mashed. :smile:
  • kurviekutie
    kurviekutie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I start by making seasoning.

http://premeditatedleftovers.com/recipes-cooking-tips/how-to-make-chipotle-seaoning-mix/

Put it all in a clean glass jar and shake thoroughly to blend. There will be enough to use in chili, tacos, guacamole, tamales etc...

For a small batch of guac:

1 avocado
    1/4 cup Greek Gods Traditional Plain Yogurt
    leaves (you can chop stems and use as well) from 20 stalks of cilantro
    1-2 TBSP Seasoning Mix (from above)

Place above ingredients in small food processor. I use my littlest Ninja container. If you don't have one, just mash thoroughly by hand with a fork :) Garnish with finely chopped green onion. If I intend to serve it with chips, I may add a couple Tbsp of salsa for added kick and to make it easier to scoop. I don't add salsa if I intend to use it for other recipes though.

The seasoning mix gives it a nice lime flavor due to the cumin I think. I have added skim milk to thin this out and use as a dressing. I have chopped hardboiled eggs into it for egg salad, served on whole grain English muffin with tomato slice and leaf of kale (DELISH!!!!) OH YEAH, BLT awesomeness with this guac!!!

When I entered the seasoning recipe into MFP I set the seasoning to serve 20. At 20 servings there are 6 calories per serving and 43 mg sodium. Potassium 23 mg, Carb 1 g, Vitamin C 2% Iron 14%. Everything else is 0's. Realistically, it makes about 10 recipes for a family of 5 in my experience so you probably don't need to count it at all :)
  • rwieber
    rwieber Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My mom's recipe: mashed avocado, garlic salt, lemon or lime juice, mild green chilis, shredded jack cheese.....YUM, and my basic that the family loves: mashed avocado, garlic salt and lemon juice (from a real lemon, not the imitation).....simple but delicious. Guacamole is great but avocado on anything is also great: sandwich, salad, scrambled eggs or used as a dip with chips or veggies.

Haas are the best and when perfectly ripe.....heaven!!
  • corinnagrevers
    Options
    Tostitos Hint O' Lime tortilla chips and Epicure Guacamole Dip Mix (follow the instructions) if you want quick and easy.