Starting the Apple Diet Today with my Wife

Options

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Apples are awesome, everyone should only eat apples!

I like my muscles...and ice cream
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with eating apples. If eating one before every meal keeps you from over eating, then go for it.
    I've heard of people using water this way too

But water is something our bodies crave and actually NEED to survive.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    You do realized once you start eating again the weight will come back on!!!

The things people will do to lose weight!! :grumble:

um.. only if they go back to over eating. I'm not a fan of this diet, but eating a VLCD does not automatically mean that all the weight will come back on if you start to eat properly afterwards. If they go and over eat after the 3 days then yes the weight will come back. but if they proceed to then eat the right amount of calories the weight will stay off. This is not the way to go about losing weight, but your assumption is wrong.

Yes they will, it may not be a fat gain, but surely will be a water weight gain. :happy:
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    If you don't like veggies, I don't think steaming them would be the way to go. Yes, they will be lower in fat/calories, but they're pretty horrible (and only edible if you put butter on them afterwards in my opinion). I love roasted veggies. Cube them up, throw them in a roasting pan with a little olive oil and seasoning of choice (my go to is onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper) and roast at 400 degrees for 30-60 minutes (depending on the size of your chunks). So tasty.

I agree that I don't think this meal plan will help with your stated goals. Both you and your wife are probably looking to recomp and "firm up" not really lose weight. You'd do better if you eat at maintenance (likely far more calories than you posted) and add in a progressive resistance program. And you should be eating more than your wife, even if it's just larger portions. Men in general burn more calories than women.

This might be a good article for the two of you to read:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • gembirch
    gembirch Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    People are too keen on here to judge and make fun of people's forums. He has stated he is doing this to share information, not wanting people's approval. Even though I have no interest in short term diets or intend to be trying this one for myself, I will be interested to see what he has to say about it in the next 3 days :)

Good luck on being healthier for you and your wife! I hope it helps in the long run.
  • Asher09
    Asher09 Posts: 25
    Options
    Good Idea Sonic. I am hoping this will prompt me to have an apple a day (well probably something else since I will be sick of apples)

actually I am more excited about the veggies. I just ate Celery with some PB and I actually liked it. All this time I thought celery was evil. Hear to say no to bad. Don't get me wrong not a lot of calories and can't see myself eating it often, but it was not a bad little snack.

I will have to let everyone know how many calories are in day 1. I will weigh out my dinner. My guess is it will be 1100-1200, which is just to low.

Day 2 and 3 I will be adding some calories by way of more protein and maybe a little more fruit (Love Bananas and Berries)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm glad you two are getting along and this isn't a "Halp, my husband is sabotaging me" or "how can I get my obese wife to take her health seriously."

I think if you mean to support her though you do not need to stoop to her level of wacky dieting. I think it would be infinitely more supportive if you two took the next 3 days to eat at your normal rate, and research all you can about TDEE, IIFYM, and etc.

Then on day 4 you start out together with cal goals that are specific to you and meant to help you preserve your muscles with the right balance of macros for your "tri" you are heading towards.

If you choose to do this apple diet I have two suggestions since I don't think either of you will die in 3 days even though it seems like a less than ideal diet, (like the kind that makes you hate dieting or makes you fail and give up on everything).

1) choose a wide variety of apples like gala, granny smith, golden delicious, etc. Bake them sometimes or sautee them in butter and top with cinnamon using up the cals and fat grams from those peanut butters you're allowed. i can't imagine getting through this without a certain amount of variety. make it into salads on the times you're allowed veggies, etc.

2) calculate what both your cal goals should be vis a vis TDEE and what your protein goals should be vis a vis the ETP thread and add more tuna and whatnot to your meals during this "experiment" or whatever you are regarding it as.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options

Muscles are over rated. As long as you put ice cream on the apples, you are good.
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Hmm...no Thai or Indian food included in the meal plan. Yeah, I'm out. Good luck!
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Not going to put that in and count the calories, but it looks way too low for your wife, let alone you! Plus, if she is looking to maintain muscle, is it enough protein? Is she doing resistance training? Are you?

Neither of you have much to lose, so why not just eat near maintenance and lift some weights?

OP, when the apple diet is over, you'd be wise to do this.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

Muscles are over rated. As long as you put ice cream on the apples, you are good.

Personal preference! I am quite fond of my muscles.

Apples make me hungry. I can eat three and not feel anything. Ice cream... ♡♡♡
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Good Idea Sonic. I am hoping this will prompt me to have an apple a day (well probably something else since I will be sick of apples)

actually I am more excited about the veggies. I just ate Celery with some PB and I actually liked it. All this time I thought celery was evil. Hear to say no to bad. Don't get me wrong not a lot of calories and can't see myself eating it often, but it was not a bad little snack.

I will have to let everyone know how many calories are in day 1. I will weigh out my dinner. My guess is it will be 1100-1200, which is just to low.

Day 2 and 3 I will be adding some calories by way of more protein and maybe a little more fruit (Love Bananas and Berries)

From one guy to another, of approx. height and age.....165 is not "a little heavy". Take a look at a recomp..
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    2) calculate what both your cal goals should be vis a vis TDEE and what your protein goals should be vis a vis the ETP thread and add more tuna and whatnot to your meals during this "experiment" or whatever you are regarding it as.

This. I think a meal plan can be very freeing. Eating too little isn't going to get you where you want to go. I'd suggest either modifying this diet or finding another one that meets your nutritional needs.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    OKay
    1)
    <<<<<<<<<<< that's me- About 170 lbs. Not a little heavy- I'm fricking fabulous.

As a man- there is no way that's a little heavy- you need to lift some weights and get some muscle on you.

2.)
    I'm confused if you are trying to eat better and include more veggies- why you are adding an apple to every meal??

And what science backs this up?

It appears you do not have a clear goal- so doing something novel for the sake of doing something novel is the answer.

Have a goal.

Get a plan that supports the goal.

Eat lift sleep and be fabulous.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    This sounds so boring. Why can't you just incorporate fruits and veggies into your daily life? It's not that hard to cook a pork chop with some squash on the side or have some baked apples for a snack. No need to crash diet in the hopes of "eating healthier."
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'd hurt somebody.

And your wife probably doesn't need to get as low as 120. Just have her lift and she should be dandy do
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    My gawd, I would DIE on that diet :noway:
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    this actually sounds great!

i would make the following alterations though...

i would remove the apple from before each meal, and in its place i would add more of the food i enjoy eating (like lovely proteins and fats and carbs)
    also, eat more food.

Thumbsup-alec.gif
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    You do realized once you start eating again the weight will come back on!!!

The things people will do to lose weight!! :grumble:

um.. only if they go back to over eating. I'm not a fan of this diet, but eating a VLCD does not automatically mean that all the weight will come back on if you start to eat properly afterwards. If they go and over eat after the 3 days then yes the weight will come back. but if they proceed to then eat the right amount of calories the weight will stay off. This is not the way to go about losing weight, but your assumption is wrong.

There will be an upswing because of glycogen replenishment. But, yeah, once that muscle is gone, it's really hard to put back.

Funny.. i started out eating a vlcd... and worked my way up until I finally got to a normal intake. hmmm.. the only weight I put back on was a year later when I "over celebrated" Christmas. I'm also boatloads stronger then I was. So.. eh.. whatever. :drinker:

PS.. 3 days is not going to hurt you in the long run. It wouldn't make me happy, but it's not going to cause premanent muscle loss.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    funny-apples.jpg