Uses for Mashed Bananas?

Options

Replies

• paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I like bananas, but sometimes I don't eat them fast enough and they go beyond the point of ripeness at which I can eat them. I used to mash them and use them for banana bread, but I'm not brave enough to try sugar-free/no sugar added baking quite yet. Can mashed banana be frozen? If not what can mashed banana be used for other than banana bread? Keep in mind that I am not fond of cooking and I'm just now starting to branch out from old, familiar recipes--so keep the suggestions simple, please!
    banana
    cup of vanilla almond milk
    tbsp of peanut butter, or my favourite choc pb2
    blend and drink DE-LISH
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal banana cookies (I see someone else isn't such a fan)...but they are really more like banana bread bites, if you will. I love mixing up the ingredients...chocolate chips, nuts, peanut butter chips, coconut flakes or a combo. They freeze well too which is a good thing because they mold fast. I make a ton at once, freeze them in small baggies and take out a pack every week to take to work for snacks. They are low cal and healthy. Skinnytaste.com has a good basic recipe and instructions if this is up your ally. She calls them "Healthy Cookies".

The cookies sound great! All we need is for them to be sugar free (or for them to be able to be made sugar free) and we're in business! I'll check out the site for sure.

Well they are just oats and banana (and anything else you like) so I think they should fit that bill. Can use gulten free oats too though I thought the texture was a little less appealing. It's nice that they are so simple...I always have everything on hand to make them if my bananas go brown. I hope you like them!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    LYFE CHANGING 2-INGREEDIANT KOOKIES

Lies
  • LFA50
    LFA50 Posts: 58
    Options
    freeze n use in smoothies def

a mashed banana on toast is yummy too
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    baby food.

Lubricant.

Wait, what?

or...
    Which came first?

haha wtf. nice comment! :) lol!!
  • laurels12
    laurels12 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have mashed bananas on granary toast for breakfast! Yum
  • lollipoprincess
    lollipoprincess Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Freeze them over night! Blend them = Banana ice cream. Add peanut butter or whatever you like to it!
  • beleeLafter
    beleeLafter Posts: 47
    Options
    I throw them in all sorts of stuff.......smoothies, oats, pancakes, breads, cookies.....even make ice cream with them! I almost always use in place of butter for most recipes and you can freeze them in whatever state of ripeness they're in..........just don't nuke the frozen ones left in the peel as you might set it on fire! Yes.........I did that..........a very proud moment :)
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I throw them in all sorts of stuff.......smoothies, oats, pancakes, breads, cookies.....even make ice cream with them! I almost always use in place of butter for most recipes and you can freeze them in whatever state of ripeness they're in..........just don't nuke the frozen ones left in the peel as you might set it on fire! Yes.........I did that..........a very proud moment :)

Sorry to admit it, but you made me laugh out loud. I definitely appreciate the warning, since it sounds like something I would do!

Edited because LoupGaroux apparently can't manage code the first time. *sigh*
  • beleeLafter
    beleeLafter Posts: 47
    Options

Sorry to admit it, but you made me laugh out loud. I definitely appreciate the warning, since it sounds like something I would do!

Edited because LoupGaroux apparently can't manage code the first time. *sigh*

No need to apologize! Go ahead and laugh! I laughed! Everyone that heard about it laughed! I have the tendency to some of the most ridiculous and clumsy things :)
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    I love oatmeal banana cookies (I see someone else isn't such a fan)...but they are really more like banana bread bites, if you will. I love mixing up the ingredients...chocolate chips, nuts, peanut butter chips, coconut flakes or a combo. They freeze well too which is a good thing because they mold fast. I make a ton at once, freeze them in small baggies and take out a pack every week to take to work for snacks. They are low cal and healthy. Skinnytaste.com has a good basic recipe and instructions if this is up your ally. She calls them "Healthy Cookies".

I just tried making the Skinnytaste PB&J Healthy Cookies and added a quarter cup of walnuts. I increased the jam on each cookie to a half teaspoon, since I like jam! LOL Still came in at 120 calories for two cookies, which is perfectly acceptable in my book (even if they're a bit small). Thanks for this recipe!
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I peel and then freeze whole in a plastic bag. Then use for smoothies, just break into junks.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Freeze them and put them in a food processor. Pulse until smooth and creamy. Bam! Banana soft serve that is dairy free. Add peanut butter, sprinkles, craisins, chocolate chips just as you would with ice cream.

I love ice cream, so I won't use this to replace ice cream, but it's still super yummy and a good way to use the bananas
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    Freeze them and put them in a food processor. Pulse until smooth and creamy. Bam! Banana soft serve that is dairy free. Add peanut butter, sprinkles, craisins, chocolate chips just as you would with ice cream.

I love ice cream, so I won't use this to replace ice cream, but it's still super yummy and a good way to use the bananas

I love ice cream, too, and have found a no-sugar-added brand that I like (I have diabetes, so I'm trying to find snacks that don't add sugar.) I think I'll try the banana soft serve sometime, though. It sounds like a nice alternative for occasional use. :))
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    These all sound like great suggestions (except for the yucky cookies)! Thanks! Any others out there?

Edited to add:

Do I need to do anything to the ice cube tray to keep the banana from sticking? Also, how many cubes should I use for smoothies or the ice creamy-type banana whip?

I just eyeball it since I've done it several times, but I got the idea on Pinterest so you can check there unless someone else has exact measurements :-)
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Ok, gonna sound like a fruitloop here, but I have always had banana sandwiches since a tot. Mashed on buttered bread sounds mad but yummy.
    Another weird one, cheese on toast with mashed banana n raisens under the grill for a couple o mins.
    have t try the crazy t get t the good :)

I love love love a banana and mayo sandwich.

I also like to take my banana, if it goes beyond their time, I just cut it in half, jab a popsicle stick (check your local Wal Mart or crafts store) in it and eat it later.
  • ElizabethElane
    ElizabethElane Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Well, you can find a home recipe for banana pudding and use them for that....just maybe use honey or a smaller amount of sugar?
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for sugar free, I've used splenda and applesauce in banana muffins to replace the sugar and fat. Not too shabby if you don't over bake them to where they get tough.
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I freeze my bananas all the time once they've gone beyond what I like to eat. You can freeze them whole in skin or you can freeze your mash. If you make bread, you can even pre measure it for what you'd need in the recipe and freeze that portion. I'm all about keeping it easy.

This^^^ You can put the banana, skin and all, right in the freezer. Don't need a container.

Yonanas is a frozen treat maker that uses bananas. I have not tried this, but they are on Amazon or check out http://yonanas.com/
  • buttondown
    buttondown Posts: 20
    Options
    I didnt read through all the responses so if someone said this sorry for the repeat... but when they are that ripe peel them and freeze them then you can make banana soft serve!
    YOu just put the frozen bananas in a food processor with any other add ins you want (berries, PB, cinnamon) and process it until its an ice cream consistancy. its a yummy treat