Is being 18 supposed to be hard?

Options

Replies

• dianalee9
    dianalee9 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've given up on humanity thanks to gen Y and the millennials.
    I'm not sure if this was sarcastic ...
    If it was a serious statement, please don't lump us all into one category and assume that none of us work hard to reach our goals. We already get enough people shaking their canes at us for being the generation that isn't able to get jobs, lives at home, etc...

Exactly. And which generation is responsible for the terrible job market and economy we're inheriting? Hmm.

Your government. The terrible job market and economy isn't everywhere in the world.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    CE81BC66-5F79-4ED1-9A69-BC980E551B28.gif

youts.jpg
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Your government. The terrible job market and economy isn't everywhere in the world.

lol. Really?
  • Left4Good
    Left4Good Posts: 304
    Options
    Don't judge a whole generation just by some idiots.
  • BlazeJay83
    BlazeJay83 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    small_justin20bieber20quote20of20the20day_xlarge.jpeg
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • lscalone95
    lscalone95 Posts: 16
    Options
    I've given up on humanity thanks to gen Y and the millennials.
    I'm not sure if this was sarcastic ...
    If it was a serious statement, please don't lump us all into one category and assume that none of us work hard to reach our goals. We already get enough people shaking their canes at us for being the generation that isn't able to get jobs, lives at home, etc...

Exactly. And which generation is responsible for the terrible job market and economy we're inheriting? Hmm.

Our job market and economy isn't even "terrible" right now. The unemployment rate is only 6.3%. A good unemployment rate is 4-6%. Our economy isn't bad. The thing that's different is the culture. Not every culture had the counterculture movement like the Baby Boomers did, or the rise of technology as quickly as the Gen Xers had. The United States has a consumerist culture thanks to the gung-ho capitalist movement during the Cold War. If you disagreed, you were a commie. If the problem IS the government, it's because the Baby Boomers and Gen Xers elected those guys. My generation couldn't even elect officials until about 2008.

I'm just going to give my thanks to the Baby Boomers:
    http://youtu.be/M4IjTUxZORE
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Our job market and economy isn't even "terrible" right now. The unemployment rate is only 6.3%. A good unemployment rate is 4-6%. Our economy isn't bad. The thing that's different is the culture. Not every culture had the counterculture movement like the Baby Boomers did, or the rise of technology as quickly as the Gen Xers had. The United States has a consumerist culture thanks to the gung-ho capitalist movement during the Cold War. If you disagreed, you were a commie. If the problem IS the government, it's because the Baby Boomers and Gen Xers elected those guys. My generation couldn't even elect officials until about 2008.

I'm just going to give my thanks to the Baby Boomers:
    http://youtu.be/M4IjTUxZORE

Great reply.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Guys, you're all making excuses. Those aren't challenges, they're excuses.

EXCUSES.
    Haha that guy
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Before an all out cross generational flame war erupts, this was meant to be a parody thread to skewer an 18 y.o. who started a thread (now locked) to:
    - Lecture everyone on how easy it is to lose weight
    - Followed up by the statement that if *you* found losing weight difficult it was because you weren't committed enough and were simply making excuses

Needless to say, not too many people took kindly to the wisdom.

Can't we all just get along?

Didn't think so...
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    In fairness, I guess it was hard back in the day or hard for what I knew anyway. Hormone's, boy trouble, studying, being kinda caught between being an adult and a kid, parents never understanding. I think at that point in your life it seems hard. At least for me it did. That being said, now as I look back I only WISH it were that hard again! I now know how easy that actually was. "Hindsight"
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I opened this thinking it was a teenager's rant about parents buying the wrong food or something. I was pleasantly surprised.

I forgot to add: it IS hard. When I was 18, I had to buy my own gas for the car my parents gave me. ????

Seriously, I had to work a whole 20 hours a week to afford the gas to put in the car my parent's gave me. That was a true challenge...er, excuse.
  • Iceberg_Simpson
    Iceberg_Simpson Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I heard that when it's that length, it never really gets fully hard.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    idk but i still get confused every day :ohwell:
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    CE81BC66-5F79-4ED1-9A69-BC980E551B28.gif

youts.jpg

I used to looooooove My Cousin Vinny!
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I was living in the basement of my mother's rental house, NOT paying rent, going to bible school, and working at Build-A-Bear Workshop on the weekend. It was super hard, mm-kay? /sarcasm

No studying, no real work, and no bills to pay. Ah, to be three years younger. :laugh: Because now I'm suddenly 21 with a husband, a house, a real job, and a 5-year-old(HIS kid, granted, so it's not THAT much harder, but still).
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I heard that when it's that length, it never really gets fully hard.

You... I like you.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I think Justin Bieber is supremely talented and very misunderstood. Most people who diss him have not bought his albums.
  • wolf39us
    wolf39us Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    At 18 I had a part-time job at Shell. When I came home I pwned some n00bs on Starcraft: Broodwar and Diablo II
  • REGINA889
    REGINA889 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Alright, I'll give y'all that adulthood is obviously much harder than being a teenager. And that there are certain things most teenagers get way easier than needed.

However, being a teenager isn't all video games and parties. High school homework rates are currently higher than they have ever been, and the stress level of an average teenager has increased astronomically. It is EXTREMELY difficult to maintain adequate sleep as a teenager while still achieving decent grades/test scores and try adding in extracurricular activities like sports or writing for a school newspaper on top of that. Then there's the whole issue of colleges and careers, not to mention that you know you will soon have to find some way to support yourself or be homeless, hungry, etc. Kind of a frightening prospect for most teenagers.

That being said, there are some freaking stupid and entitled teenagers in the world. Justin (or as I like to call him, Justine) is one of them. People like him do my generation a lot of harm.
  • REGINA889
    REGINA889 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I think Justin Bieber is supremely talented and very misunderstood. Most people who diss him have not bought his albums.

I disagree with you about his musical talent (or lack thereof, in my opinion), but there is VERY little room for you to argue his personality as "misunderstood". He is irresponsible, cocky, and entitled. And yes, I have heard all his albums numerous times. Such is the curse of having pop culture-crazed siblings.