&$@!! 2200ish cals, 35 carbs, exercise, and gaining #!

Options
Since September, I have gone from 286lbs to a low of 207. I started at 20 carbs/day (ketosis) and 1700-1800 calories/day. When I got down below 215, I started feeling like I was out of gas...no energy. I was still at 1800 cal/day, but had increased to 35 carbs. I was having trouble getting through my workouts, which steadily increased in frequency, duration, and intensity. So, I upped my calories to 2250. I had not been eating back my exercise calories so I started allowing myself to do that sometimes.

Well, I have gained weight!! I am back up to 218 over the course of about 4 weeks. When I noticed the weight gains, I figured it might be my body rebounding from "starvation mode". So I didn't make any changes and hoped that things would turn around after my body adjusted. What gives? The gains are noticeable around my waistline.

FYI, my BMR is about 2090 cal/day. I run 3-4 miles 3-4 times/week, and I lift weights (circuit training, not heavy lifting) on days that I don't run. My job is somewhat sedentary, but I do walk down to the cafeteria a couple times per day, which involves 4 flights of stairs and almost 1/4 mile walk total. I also recently changed jobs and went from a midnight schedule to a day shift schedule. Finally, because things were hectic, I used quest bars (3 net carbs) more than I should have, but typically always stayed within my plan.

Replies

• racinghoss
    racinghoss Posts: 15
    Options
    BTW, the two trips to the cafeteria are to get coffee. Black coffee...not snacks. Lol.

So frustrated and hoping someone can shed some light for me.
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I thought I posted this! I went from 270 to about 210 and have been 210ish now for a year or so. I really, really would like to get below 200 (possibly 190's). I am 6' tall.

I look forward to your findings...
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale? Have a medical reason to go so low on carbs? Diary is closed.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    How are you calculating BMR? When's the last time you did those calculations? It's possible that you are eating more than you need (especially if you aren't weighing/properly measuring your foods). Check out the scooby calculator and the iifym calculator for TDEE. Take 10%-15% off that and don't eat back exercise calories as they're already accounted for in TDEE calculations. (Edit to clarify: your calorie needs do decrease as your weight goes down)

Additionally, if you've increased your carb intake, realize that your body will be retaining a bit more water. Could this be masking any loss after a month? I don't know. (FWIW, there is no real reason to go low carb unless you have a medical need to do so; it's calorie deficit that leads to weight loss, not necessarily low carb)

Also check out this link http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=sexypants
    It will have a lot more details on what I already mentioned, as well as other really helpful information.
  • Vigilance88
    Vigilance88 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I started feeling like I was out of gas...no energy. I was still at 1800 cal/day, but had increased to 35 carbs. I was having trouble getting through my workouts, which steadily increased in frequency, duration, and intensity.
    of course 35 carbs + intensifying workouts made you feel exhausted

I'm no expert on keto at all, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but you can increase carbs if you exercise more. I think <50 carbs is recommended for sedentary and you can easily eat 75 if you exercise while staying in ketosis.

As for gaining, you upped calories multiple times and you started eating exercise back as well. I'd reevalute your intake. Or go back to the calorie intake that worked for you, but change macros to include more carbs to fuel your exercise.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    How are you calculating BMR? When's the last time you did those calculations? It's possible that you are eating more than you need (especially if you aren't weighing/properly measuring your foods). Check out the scooby calculator and the iifym calculator for TDEE. Take 10%-15% off that and don't eat back exercise calories as they're already accounted for in TDEE calculations. (Edit to clarify: your calorie needs do decrease as your weight goes down)

Additionally, if you've increased your carb intake, realize that your body will be retaining a bit more water. Could this be masking any loss after a month? I don't know. (FWIW, there is no real reason to go low carb unless you have a medical need to do so; it's calorie deficit that leads to weight loss, not necessarily low carb)

Also check out this link http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=sexypants
    It will have a lot more details on what I already mentioned, as well as other really helpful information.

This... and its true that low carbs are not neccessary... I eat 250-350g of carbs per day and have no problem losing.
  • racinghoss
    Options
    I used the fat2fit site to calculate my BMR. 210 pounds, 6'2". I also used the sedentary lifestyle (which I am obviously not sedentary). This is why I was comfortable eating back some of my exercise calories. I don't want to reinvent the wheel here. Things were working well for a long time. I find it hard to believe that I am doomed to eat less than my calculated BMR (for a sedentary lifestyle) and less ghan35 carbs for the rest of my life.

I am also type 2 diabetic...hence the low carbs. It has been working to reduce my meds.

Macros were 60/35/5 at first, and changed to 50/40/10, or so.
  • racinghoss
    Options
    Oh, yes, I use a digital scale to measure out my foods.
  • racinghoss
    Options
    btt...
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Lyle McDonald (love 'em or hate 'em) says the human brain needs 50g carb/day (regardless of body size), and <100g/day maintains ketosis. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/how-many-carbohydrates-do-you-need.html

Maybe your new lower body fat percentage combined with your more strenuous workouts necessitate a fuel adjustment? Before adding to your caloric total, I might try shifting a few fats to carbs--maybe up to 100g complex, high fiber, low glycemic carbs--and see what that does to your energy level. It sounds like you probably get enough protein, but your protein need will rise as you build muscle.

Depending on how quickly you were losing, you may be working against falling leptin as well. Lower leptin levels (normal and expected for lower body fat %) will depress your metabolism. Keep stimulating your metabolism with exercise and plenty of water throughout the day (as it sounds like you are), and your body will adjust. I loved this article about "exercise snacks" to control blood sugar levels. Maybe something in there is helpful! http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/05/14/exercise-snacks-to-control-blood-sugar/?src=me

Congrats on your progress and good luck!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I started at 20 carbs/day (ketosis) and 1700-1800 calories/day. When I got down below 215, I started feeling like I was out of gas...no energy. I was still at 1800 cal/day, but had increased to 35 carbs. I was having trouble getting through my workouts, which steadily increased in frequency, duration, and intensity. So, I upped my calories to 2250. I had not been eating back my exercise calories so I started allowing myself to do that sometimes.

Well, I have gained weight!!

Go back to your previous caloric intake and get some damn carbs in to you.
  • racinghoss
    Options
    I started at 20 carbs/day (ketosis) and 1700-1800 calories/day. When I got down below 215, I started feeling like I was out of gas...no energy. I was still at 1800 cal/day, but had increased to 35 carbs. I was having trouble getting through my workouts, which steadily increased in frequency, duration, and intensity. So, I upped my calories to 2250. I had not been eating back my exercise calories so I started allowing myself to do that sometimes.

You must have missed the part where I said I was diabetic (I waited too long to lose weight). I want/need to keep the carbs down so I can continue to reduce the amount of meds that I need. I only take about 15% of what I used to require, andd I'd like to get rid of injections completely.

My dream/goal has always been to get to 10% body fat or 193 pounds - whichever comes first; and to get off the meds. I'd love to be able to eat about 2500 calories and 50 low glycemic carbs (or thereabouts) for maintenance. I know I don't really get to choose my maintenance numbers, but those should be in the ballpark.

I'm still eating at a deficit at 2250 calories, but gaining belly fat. I'm gonna go back to 2000 cals per day, stay at 35 carbs (been there a long time and was losing weight), and I'm done eating back my exercise cals.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    *edit .. * ... I have nothing as being diabetic complicates things.

Good luck.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

You must have missed the part where I said I was diabetic (I waited too long to lose weight). I want/need to keep the carbs down so I can continue to reduce the amount of meds that I need. I only take about 15% of what I used to require, andd I'd like to get rid of injections completely.

My dream/goal has always been to get to 10% body fat or 193 pounds - whichever comes first; and to get off the meds. I'd love to be able to eat about 2500 calories and 50 low glycemic carbs (or thereabouts) for maintenance. I know I don't really get to choose my maintenance numbers, but those should be in the ballpark.

I'm still eating at a deficit at 2250 calories, but gaining belly fat. I'm gonna go back to 2000 cals per day, stay at 35 carbs (been there a long time and was losing weight), and I'm done eating back my exercise cals.

If you aren't already working with an endocrinologist and/or registered dietician who has a lot of experience in working with people with Type II diabetes, you need to start. LowER carb is definitely necessary, but it doesn't have to be below 50 a day (my understanding is generally 50 a meal, paired with proteins and fats to slow absorption, is generally considered okay, but I'm not an expert). Diabetes definitely complicates these issues.

How are you calculating your exercise calories? Be very careful when eating back exercise calories. Even an HRM is only an estimate, though it is generally more accurate than the machines or MFPs burn estimates. (And remember, an HRM is generally considered only accurate for steady-state cardio, not lifting or HIIT). This is one reason a lot of people find success using TDEE -20% . You can check out http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ if you want to see what it gives you.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Since September, I have gone from 286lbs to a low of 207. I started at 20 carbs/day (ketosis) and 1700-1800 calories/day. When I got down below 215, I started feeling like I was out of gas...no energy. I was still at 1800 cal/day, but had increased to 35 carbs. I was having trouble getting through my workouts, which steadily increased in frequency, duration, and intensity. So, I upped my calories to 2250. I had not been eating back my exercise calories so I started allowing myself to do that sometimes.

Well, I have gained weight!! I am back up to 218 over the course of about 4 weeks. When I noticed the weight gains, I figured it might be my body rebounding from "starvation mode". So I didn't make any changes and hoped that things would turn around after my body adjusted. What gives? The gains are noticeable around my waistline.

FYI, my BMR is about 2090 cal/day. I run 3-4 miles 3-4 times/week, and I lift weights (circuit training, not heavy lifting) on days that I don't run. My job is somewhat sedentary, but I do walk down to the cafeteria a couple times per day, which involves 4 flights of stairs and almost 1/4 mile walk total. I also recently changed jobs and went from a midnight schedule to a day shift schedule. Finally, because things were hectic, I used quest bars (3 net carbs) more than I should have, but typically always stayed within my plan.

Congratulations on refilling your empty muscles with glycogen and all the water retention that goes along with it.

You have not gained 15 pounds of fat in 4 weeks.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Avoiding simple carbs is important as a diabetic as they break down quickly into glucose in the bloodstream. However, carbs as a whole are not the devil. Complex carbs are your friends, especially when combined with protein and fat and contain necessary nutrients. Quinoa, amaranth, spelt, whole wheat pasta, veggies. beans. All high-nutrient foods with fiber and complex carbs.

I'd use caution about using diabetes to pretty much avoid an entire food group, which could be very detrimental to your overall health and fitness--you need the nutrients to sustain a healthy body. Maybe your doc can refer your to an RD to get some meal plan ideas.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Avoiding simple carbs is important as a diabetic as they break down quickly into glucose in the bloodstream. However, carbs as a whole are not the devil. Complex carbs are your friends, especially when combined with protein and fat and contain necessary nutrients. Quinoa, amaranth, spelt, whole wheat pasta, veggies. beans. All high-nutrient foods with fiber and complex carbs.
    Sorry but it doesn't matter WHAT type of carbohydrate it is for a diabetic. Simple or complex. The end-result is the same.

Even if your carbohydrate digests slower, 100g of slow-digesting carbohydrate has the same overall glycemic-effect as 100g of pure glucose, in terms of how it affects your HbA1c and your overall health.
    I'd use caution about using diabetes to pretty much avoid an entire food group, which could be very detrimental to your overall health and fitness--you need the nutrients to sustain a healthy body. Maybe your doc can refer your to an RD to get some meal plan ideas.
    There are no nutrients in carbohydrate you cannot get elsewhere. That being said you can get great nutrients with very little carbohydrate from dark leafy greens, lower-GI fruits such as berries, etc.

That being said, if you're exercising more intensely than before, you CAN increase your carbohydrate intake, especially just-prior to exercise. At this point you basically do a TKD - Targeted Ketogenic Diet.

What I recommend is 0.15 x bodyweight(LBS) in grams of carbohydrate about 30-45 minutes prior to a workout. For me this is 0.15 x 207 = 31g. It's enough to fuel my anaerobic exercise (Strength Training and/or HIIT) but because I'm working out as it hits my bloodstream, it never causes a glycemic spike above 7.5mmol/l (about 135mg/dl) - and I'm a Type I diabetic who doesn't bolus insulin.

FYI I also eat more carbohydrate than I used to now that I exercise fairly heavily. I often have under 50g on a non-exercise day, sure, but I'll eat 75g or more on a heavy exercise day. On days I do endurance cycling (anywhere from 3 to 7 hours) I'll have up to 175g ....
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm still eating at a deficit at 2250 calories, but gaining belly fat.

No, you're gaining belly fat because you're eating at a surplus.

Something is wrong with your logging.
  • racinghoss
    Options
    I'm still eating at a deficit at 2250 calories, but gaining belly fat.

No, you're gaining belly fat because you're eating at a surplus.

Something is wrong with your logging.

My logging is accurate. Do you really think I could lose all that weight while cheating? My diary is not open, and I don't typically even post here... (wonder why?). Just because I'm not displaying my journey for the whole world to see (or for you to verify), doesn't mean that I'm not doing things right. Gasp, I don't facebook either!

That said, looking at your advice: I cant/won't "get some damn carbs in me", and I'm most definitely logging properly. So, until you can produce some informative, non ignorant (to diabetes), and non-caustic advice...then kindly but out of my thread. Thanks.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that if you lost weight at 1700-1800 calories per day, but aren't losing at 2200-ish per day, that you need to either: 1) go back to lower calories, or; 2) do more/different exercise to increase your overall TDEE.

Out of curiousity, what kind of exercise do you do, for how long, and how often?

For me what works best is a combination of things. I typically exercise 6 days per week, and I either do strength/resistance training (usually 3x / wk), HIIT (high-intensity-interval training, GREAT for diabetics, btw, I do it at least 3x / wk) or some regular old cardio such as running or cycling.

With diabetes regular exercise is a real key ingredient in keeping good glycemic control - especially Type II. Both HIIT and strength-training (which is another form of interval-training, really) improve insulin-sensitivity in Type II diabetics according to several research studies and thousands of anecdotal testimonies.