Why am I not losing weight???

Options
2»

Replies

• meshaffer
    meshaffer Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think it also depends on what you are eating. Yes, I agree that it looks like you should be adding to your diet, but the foods that you choose are just as important.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    By the way doing doubles of high intensity stuff probably isn't the best plan. At a certain point fatigued muscles don't perform as they should, and even though your HRM may say you're burning X calories, you no longer are, it takes a while, but I could see doubles of P90X reaching that phase.

I did P90X for a round, it was ok, I prefer my own routines, shorter, but harder (similar to insanity, but I do more resistance and less cardio) so I have an understanding of what's involved. I have respect for Tony Horton, for a mass produced DVD he does ok, hate his food plan though. It's not really based on actual science, more on popular quasi-science.
  • madijo41
    madijo41 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    "are you saying you're burning 1800 calories a day with exercise? I find that hard to believe. but then again... "

I could be calculating wrong... but I go to the gym and lift heavy weights for half and hour, no breaks talking to people. Then I walk with incline for half an hour. Go home do 2 p90x, then walk the dogs for an hour. Everyday.

But I have seen the error of my ways. I read the links offered, which all make sense. I need to find the happy medium...
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    "are you saying you're burning 1800 calories a day with exercise? I find that hard to believe. but then again... "

I could be calculating wrong... but I go to the gym and lift heavy weights for half and hour, no breaks talking to people. Then I walk with incline for half an hour. Go home do 2 p90x, then walk the dogs for an hour. Everyday.

But I have seen the error of my ways. I read the links offered, which all make sense. I need to find the happy medium...

maybe you do, I didn't realize you were doing doubles of P90. But that sounds like overkill. I'm not a big fan of walking by the way. At least not walking for someone who is fit enough for P90X. that's just a personal thing. It's not an indictment on walking. Walking is the thing our bodies do most, thus lots of muscle efficiency, any time your muscles become efficient, they burn less calories doing the same amount of work. It's why people(trainers) recommend changing your exercise routine every 6 to 8 weeks, some call it "muscle confusion" but it's basically just making sure your muscles don't become to efficient at a specific exercise. For instance, instead of walking, try the rowing machine for 15 minutes, I'll bet it'll be a killer workout for you. Do that a couple times a week for 3 or 4 weeks then switch to the stepper, then try a moderate Tabata protocol program on a spin bike for a month (always do tabata on a spin bike, these bastardized programs aren't nearly as good)...etc. (FYI if you like the endorphin rush from P90, you'll LOVE what you get from Tabata, it's a million times harder, and only takes about 15 minutes).

Oh by the way, if you are burning 1800 calories with exercise a day (or even close) then I can say with a high degree of certainty that you're in starvation mode to some degree. You're creating a deficit over 2000 calories a day. I'm still surprised that you aren't losing weight though, that's a little odd to me. I wonder, have you had a lot of colds this year, or viruses (or just felt run down)? One of the first things affected by starvation mode is a compromised immune system.
  • camille45
    camille45 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    you dont have to eat them all back, just a little more, if you are burning off all the calories that you have eaten then is almost like you havent eaten anything. your body is gonna store fat because it feels its being deprieved. If you eat 1200 cals and burn off 1000 of those, then you only took in 200 cals for the day. I dont know how many cals you are burning but that is just an example of how you body can behave like its getting too little calorie and cause you to gain or not lose weight.

Eating back a few of your calories wont hurt you since you excercise so much
  • madijo41
    Options
    Seeing all the exercise I do in black and white, I can see the overkill too. I dont even like to walk (treadmill), so Im all up for mixing things up. And to answer your question about being run down the answer is a definite yes. I am draggin *kitten*. I just do it anyways as hard as I can. I know I know stupid. Its just that after not losing weight for a couple of weeks I added lifting weights, then it just went on from there.
    I added the P90x, then doubled it when I didnt loose. I have to say under all the fat I am hard as a rock. Am I gaining muscle as fast as I am loosing? I have not changed in inches for at least a month so I dont think so.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Seeing all the exercise I do in black and white, I can see the overkill too. I dont even like to walk (treadmill), so Im all up for mixing things up. And to answer your question about being run down the answer is a definite yes. I am draggin *kitten*. I just do it anyways as hard as I can. I know I know stupid. Its just that after not losing weight for a couple of weeks I added lifting weights, then it just went on from there.
    I added the P90x, then doubled it when I didnt loose. I have to say under all the fat I am hard as a rock. Am I gaining muscle as fast as I am loosing? I have not changed in inches for at least a month so I dont think so.

no, I doubt you're gaining muscle (see my first reply). But you're existing muscle is probably top notch. In a caloric deficit, you can't really gain new muscle mass. In fact you've probably lost a good amount. Don't worry though, adding some calories and giving yourself a break here and there will ease that up.

See, muscles that are infrequently used will only use a percentage of the total fibers, the rest are dormant (and eventually canabalized if energy is needed), so when you begin any new resistance program, the first thing your body does is activate the dormant muscle fibers, it takes about 6 weeks or so to do this, and you might gain a few lbs in glycogen storage while this is happening (those newly used muscle fibers need energy, thus the glycogen). Once your muscle is up close to 95% active muscle, then the body will recognize the need to up the mass, that's when your muscle grows. This is commonly known as the "plateau" that weight lifters hit at the 6 to 8 week mark of a new program, because it takes a little while for the body to produce enough new muscle, and you don't see any performance gains during that time. But if you're in caloric deficit, your body will never grow that muscle, it'll just sit at that plateau.
  • madijo41
    Options
    I am going to follow your advise. I am going to go eat some pasta (My favorite food of all time that I have not had in over 6 months)...in moderation and give myself a break. I am so excited! I see the logic in everything that you have said.
    I am going to try not trying so hard.
    What would be a logical amount of exercise I should do in the run of a day? I still have to walk my dogs everyday though.
  • madijo41
    Options
    toned down on the amount of exercise but I have amped up the intensity. Feel much better and funny enough lost 2 lbs!
  • ChelleBelle1
    ChelleBelle1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This entire thread is a perfect example of why I LOVE this site so much!
  • madijo41
    Options
    ditto
  • Nancybenton
    Options
    SHBOss is absolutely correct. You are over doing it and that is not sustainable. Our bodies are amazing biological machines that are very smart. Your body knows it cannot allow the calorie deficit to continue. You have crossed over into starvation mode and your body will continue to conserve until you convince it that you are not really starving. Ease back into it. Like SHBoss said, if you immediately start eating more you will gain a bit back.
  • madijo41
    Options
    Dont worry I have since followed SHBoss' advice. I have since started to loose weight again. Life is good! MFP rocks!