vent: people giving me a hard time about being a vegetarian

Options

Replies

• chriamaria
    chriamaria Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    That is unbelievable! I would think that most people on here would respect vegetarianism for an ethical reasons, especially since most people on here think that being a vegetarian for health reasons is hokum. Its not like you said, "meat is evil, it will make you die!"
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    People will give you a hard time about anything and everything, I've been on both ends. Try not to get so worked up about it, I often ask myself, 'do you think the person that brought you this negative emotion is still thinking about the situation they created?" Oftentimes the answer is no, they've moved on from it. Not saying don't vent, just saying there are bigger better things in life and sometimes we get distracted by smaller things like a squirrel with a nut.
  • surfinbird_1981
    surfinbird_1981 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    People who eat meat hate to hear about vegetarians/vegans. They come across as preachy and judgy. Find something else to talk about and quietly eat your veggies.

You know, that dog looks pretty tender...

We hate to hear the following from "preachy and judgey" meat eaters

"Where do you get your protein from?" so boring....ugh
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Also, in my experience the animal rights veggies are the ones who take the worst mocking... Try meaties with a sustainability argument. Or that you just don't like the taste/texture. They don't really care, so why bother telling them your real reason?
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I never advertised my meatless week, but our work situation is set up in a way that people WILL notice what you are or aren't eating. All it takes is one person to make a comment and suddenly it is a big deal, or the person that says, "here, try the veal," and you reply that you don't eat meat...I don't consider that advertising. Walking into work and announcing, "Hey y'all! Guess what? I'm a vegetarian now, so don't offer me any kind of meat," is advertising, LOL...:laugh:

Why would you chose to say that you don't eat meat, rather than a simple "no thanks"? Sounds to me like you WANT the discussion ..

Actually, I have experienced MANY instances in which I'm happily minding my own business with my plate of vegetarian-friendly food, or I simply order a large salad at a restaurant, and have had people ask, "What, don't you eat any meat?"

Even then, I try to give a simple answer, like saying I just don't like meat very much. But in situations like that, it becomes kind of difficult to avoid the conversation entirely.
  • MTBr0x
    MTBr0x Posts: 5
    Options
    In my experience, there are a few reasons people might try to argue with me about it:

- They actually believe it's unhealthy. Boy do I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut when someone who's clearly in far worse shape than me tries to argue that *my* lifestyle is dangerous and unhealthy!

- They believe vegetarianism *is* healthier, but they don't want to adopt it themselves. In this case, even if I don't say anything, my choice serves as a rebuke for something they feel they *should* do but don't really want to do.

- They just don't understand it, and can't accept the idea that meat doesn't have to be a part of your diet.

There are lots of reasons people choose to be vegetarian too. It's how I was raised and how I've always lived. But when it comes to the ethical argument, here's an important point to remember: in the wild, animals kill and eat other animals. In America's industrial meat production, we don't just kill the cows/chickens/etc when the time comes for them to be food - we crowd them into filthy barns and cages, pump them full of antibiotics and hormones, and just generally make their existence miserable until finally putting it to an end. Not exactly the same, is it?

Anyway, just keep a good sense of humor, keep making healthy choices, and know you're not alone. Have a great day!
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I am going to say the same thing I told my 8 year old daughter when she decided she wanted to become a vegetarian.

I respect your choice to do that, but be aware that not everyone will. Don't go around trying to change anyone else's beliefs. But, if someone asks you about it, you should feel confident enough to back up your choices with facts and logic. Sometimes people will be mean and will purposely try and instigate a heated discussion, sometimes people will feel offended by your choice and sometimes people will not even care and go on with their day. If you are choosing to do something that isn't "mainstream" then OWN IT. Don't let others bring you down and feel proud of what you believe it.

And by golly, I was hella impressed when my little girl was able to articulate her beliefs in a logical and confident manner. She even got into a heated discussion with my hot headed latino father. She never got upset, she never lost her cool and she never let anyone bring her down. Mind you, the whole thing only lasted a month because she loves ribs, but for that one month she owned her decision and I was proud!
  • brokentide
    brokentide Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I never advertised my meatless week, but our work situation is set up in a way that people WILL notice what you are or aren't eating. All it takes is one person to make a comment and suddenly it is a big deal, or the person that says, "here, try the veal," and you reply that you don't eat meat...I don't consider that advertising. Walking into work and announcing, "Hey y'all! Guess what? I'm a vegetarian now, so don't offer me any kind of meat," is advertising, LOL...:laugh:

Why would you chose to say that you don't eat meat, rather than a simple "no thanks"? Sounds to me like you WANT the discussion ..

Oh yeah, she's "asking for it", isn't she? I wouldn't expect you to understand the kind of backlash a vegetarian/vegan always gets, regardless of their response. It doesn't matter how many times you say "no, thanks" - eventually people always want to know why, and when you finally tell them they start calling you militant and preachy. It's ridiculous

Bull****. So people push and push, and you calmly and innocently say you're a vegetarian, and they attack and call you militant?

I reject that premise.

Yup. Reject it all you want, you're not the one who's had first-hand experience with this kind of treatment. People get defensive because they assume you're judging them simply based on the fact that you don't eat meat, you don't even have to say anything. I can't count the amount of people who introduced me as a vegan or mentioned it before I even got the chance to utter a word. Does that sound militant to you?
  • TheKidd2013
    TheKidd2013 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Obviously just trying to taunt me.

And you're letting him.

Don't engage and he'll eventually leave you alone. If you continue to battle back, you're just fueling the fire. Kinda like elementary school stuff.

This !
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Personally I am an avid meat eater.

I will give the occasional jab to veggie/vegans for fun- but only in fun and never persistent- and only with people I know well enough to do so.

I have absolutely ZERO issue with veggie/vegan who do so for moral reasons. I actually have more issues with people who think there are mythical health properties doing it- but you can't help feel the way you feel morally.

This is 100% a moral issue for you- then you need to say so and be done with it- you do not EVER need to justify or validate your feelings to someone else- it isn't about a health issue- it's a moral issue and that is all there is to it.

When someone challenges my morals or a choice based on personal code- the answer is almost always
    "I have to wake up with myself in the morning- I have to stare at myself in the mirror- not you- I am not comfortable doing these things- they do not allow me to sleep well at night and do not make me feel comfortable about my actions"

Period.

It is not about health. Don't make it about health.
    No way! I'm a lifelong veggie and I always 'announce'. I love a debate about vegetarianism with preachy meaties, just stay dispassionate - neither of you will change each other!

there is a big difference on both parts in terms of having a valid discussion/rigourous debate- verses just arguing for the sake of arguing- if you are baiting to start a fight you are no better than you're "preachy meaties" that you are arguing with.

I often will ask and discuss with other people- but making it a baiting situation makes you no better than people giving you chit about your vegetarianism.
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    People who eat meat hate to hear about vegetarians/vegans. They come across as preachy and judgy. Find something else to talk about and quietly eat your veggies.

It's a beagel. They're too active to have any tender meat.

I had a classmate that was a vegen because of the way his family felt about the cruelty on farms. Some of the food they make tastes very good espcially if it's Indian. I asked him about it, he answered, and I thought about his answer but didn't bug him about it. Of course at camp we were feeding the property manager's chickens, chicken meat.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

Oh yeah, she's "asking for it", isn't she? I wouldn't expect you to understand the kind of backlash a vegetarian/vegan always gets, regardless of their response. It doesn't matter how many times you say "no, thanks" - eventually people always want to know why, and when you finally tell them they start calling you militant and preachy. It's ridiculous

Bull****. So people push and push, and you calmly and innocently say you're a vegetarian, and they attack and call you militant?

I reject that premise.

Yup. Reject it all you want, you're not the one who's had first-hand experience with this kind of treatment. People get defensive because they assume you're judging them simply based on the fact that you don't eat meat, you don't even have to say anything. I can't count the amount of people who introduced me as a vegan or mentioned it before I even got the chance to utter a word. Does that sound militant to you?

It's true, I'm often outed as a vegetarian before I have a chance to mention it myself. lol
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I don't care if you're a vegetarian, just don't push it on me. It's those that get all high and mighty about it that I take an issue with.

Coexist.
  • surfinbird_1981
    surfinbird_1981 Posts: 946 Member
    Options

Actually, I have experienced MANY instances in which I'm happily minding my own business with my plate of vegetarian-friendly food, or I simply order a large salad at a restaurant, and have had people ask, "What, don't you eat any meat?"

Even then, I try to give a simple answer, like saying I just don't like meat very much. But in situations like that, it becomes kind of difficult to avoid the conversation entirely.

This! I have experienced this also.. Incredible really...:laugh:
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

I reject that premise.

It doesn't sound militant at all. That's why I don't believe you get called militant for just saying "I don't eat meat"
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i think its a defense mechanism.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

It's a beagel.

i love a good beagle and cream cheese
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    No way! I'm a lifelong veggie and I always 'announce'. I love a debate about vegetarianism with preachy meaties, just stay dispassionate - neither of you will change each other!

there is a big difference on both parts in terms of having a valid discussion/rigourous debate- verses just arguing for the sake of arguing- if you are baiting to start a fight you are no better than you're "preachy meaties" that you are arguing with.

I often will ask and discuss with other people- but making it a baiting situation makes you no better than people giving you chit about your vegetarianism.

I don't bait or start arguments, but if someone laughs in my face and tells me to eat a bacon sandwich I will debate with them as to what value meat would bring to my life.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

I reject that premise.

In 24 years of being vegetarian I've never been called militant or preachy. Maybe because if people ask I will tell them I'm a vegetarian. I've always been big on respecting everyone's choices. Not saying that anyone here doesn't. If people ask my why, I'll tell them my reasons. I also explain that I respect everyone's choice to decide what's right for them because what's right for me is only right for me, I cannot say what's right for someone else. I find a lot of people actually respect that.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I don't bait or start arguments, but if someone laughs in my face and tells me to eat a bacon sandwich I will debate with them as to what value meat would bring to my life.

while I understand and respect that- this is not the indication of your sentence which is above mine that I quoted.