Just venting.....my friend says I'm "starving" myself

Options
So, I'm currently at work and my boss brought in donuts and bagels this morning for the team. While it is a ridiculously nice gesture and I would love to eat one, I pre-log everything I eat at the beginning of the day for the most part and donuts and/or bagels do not fit into that allotment. Anyways, my closest friend here at work tells me that there are donuts and bagels in the back and that I should grab one. Mind you, she is my gym buddy and we go every week five times a week and care equally about getting fit, but when it comes to food, we do things very differently. She is doing the South Beach diet (currently in phase two) and I count calories. She got mad and said, "You take this stuff way too seriously. I eat like **** often enough and have still lost five pounds recently. I don't starve myself, either!" Ughhhhhhh. I do NOT starve myself. I eat at LEAST 1200 calories a day, and more when I exercise. And I usually eat about 3/4 of my exercise calories back!!! I have lost seven pounds in the past month and a half, which is HEALTHY. I just want her to understand that what I'm doing is not unhealthy, and that diets have NEVER worked for me, because I have to deprive myself of things that I eat regularly. WHICH IS WHY I'M COUNTING CALORIES RATHER THAN DIETING. Different strokes for different folks, JEEZ.

Replies

• Chris_Pierce
    Chris_Pierce Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your friend has no idea that a doughnut isn't really food.
  • brandi_kae
    brandi_kae Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Checked your diary. You're not starving yourself. Your friend is feeling guilty about eating unhealthy food and wants to feel better about herself by trying to manipulate you into doing the same. Stick to your guns. It's YOUR body.
  • TheKidd2013
    TheKidd2013 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Checked your diary. You're not starving yourself. Your friend is feeling guilty about eating unhealthy food and wants to feel better about herself by trying to manipulate you into doing the same. Stick to your guns. It's YOUR body.

I definetely agree with what she said! That person is trying to make herself better for giving in to indulgence that wasn't necessarily the greatest of food choices for her either.
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Wow, your friend is over reacting. If she is doing the South Beach diet then she might be a bit on the cranky side because she is craving the carbs right now. That was still out of line tho.
  • AnthonyThrashD
    AnthonyThrashD Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I had a bagel with cream cheese on it AND I count calories...I'm like the offspring of you and your buddy :P

But seriously, fad diets come and go, accounting for the calorie content of the food you eat, is here to stay :-)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

rubbish.

it totally is food.

it's just not food that fit into her day.

it's fine either way- but her friend is feeling guilty. Tell her to stop feeling guilty and eat the damn doughnut if she wants it.
  • CaroleLea438
    Options
    hopefully someday it will click with your friend that it's not "dieting" it's eating healthy and continuing to eat the right things your entire life, not just until you get a few pounds off. Good for you for sticking to your way of doing things. Keep up the good work. :happy:
  • adstott
    adstott Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    We have break food here all the time, donuts, cookies, cakes you name it it's here. I have been offered multiple times the food and I just nicely turn it down and say I'd love to but I know I shouldn't. Don't worry about others worry about yourself if she feels guilty about eating it why should that be your problem?
  • MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    If she ate what you eat she may well "starve" if she has a much higher calorie requirement than you. If she's any or all of taller, bigger framed, more muscle mass, more active, heavier then she will have a higher calorie requirement. which I often think makes it easier to fit treats in.

That doesn't mean that it's right to pick on you though. I suspect one of the earlier posters is right and she's trying to lead you off the straight and narrow to not feel guilty about tucking in herself. But there is always the chance that she just can't relate to your diet because you are a completely separate person with separated needs/requirements from her. Perhaps a chat is in order, so she understands that what applies to her doesn't necessarily apply to you.
  • jmmcelhi
    jmmcelhi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i have done both ways of losing weight. I did south beach and lost 30 pounds before I got married, and I fell of the band wagon and I am currently doing this for the 2nd time(do to also falling off the band wagon). Both of these life style changes are equally as hard it all just depends on how you want to make the change. with phase 2 of SB she should have slowly introduced GOOD carbs back into her diet and can afford to cheat every now and then but if its something she does often she might as well give up on SB now.. The hardest part about that diet is phase 1 with no carbs. But with you, you are allowed to eat whatever you want good or bad as long as it fits into your daily allotment. I too try to track at the beginning of the day bc it is easier for me to keep track of what I am eating that way. Nicole I know how you are and try not to let it get to you, in my experience I lost a lot of weight a lot quicker doing SB but I didn't stick to it in the long run either. As long as you did not feel hungry and you are not starving then just ignore it and let her know that it is better for you to do things this was and you would rather not splurge right now on a donut or bagel when you could splurge on something else later that is way more satisfying =)
  • koosorlose
    koosorlose Posts: 186
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for all your kind words and reassurance! I know I'm on the right path because I'm seeing results, both on the scale and in the way my body is changing. And want to know what the funny thing is? Right before we went on break, she said she was gonna grab a bagel and I told her I was gonna eat my one ounce allotment of mixed nuts (to which she replied "No thanks..." to), she ended up not grabbing that bagel!!!! It really WAS just a guilt thing, after all. She was only gonna eat one if I did! People are so odd sometimes! If I want a treat, I'll eat it! As long as I've still got room in my calories! I love the MFP "diet" way better. :)
  • koosorlose
    Options
    i have done both ways of losing weight. I did south beach and lost 30 pounds before I got married, and I fell of the band wagon and I am currently doing this for the 2nd time(do to also falling off the band wagon). Both of these life style changes are equally as hard it all just depends on how you want to make the change. with phase 2 of SB she should have slowly introduced GOOD carbs back into her diet and can afford to cheat every now and then but if its something she does often she might as well give up on SB now.. The hardest part about that diet is phase 1 with no carbs. But with you, you are allowed to eat whatever you want good or bad as long as it fits into your daily allotment. I too try to track at the beginning of the day bc it is easier for me to keep track of what I am eating that way. Nicole I know how you are and try not to let it get to you, in my experience I lost a lot of weight a lot quicker doing SB but I didn't stick to it in the long run either. As long as you did not feel hungry and you are not starving then just ignore it and let her know that it is better for you to do things this was and you would rather not splurge right now on a donut or bagel when you could splurge on something else later that is way more satisfying =)

Hahaha, Jami...you know me too well. I take things a little too personally sometimes. But the counting calories thing is REALLY working for me, because I can still eat the things that I want, just in moderation. No diet has EVER been successful for me because I just can't give up certain foods. I guess I'm just frustrated because I never said anything bad about her doing the South Beach diet, yet she thinks I'm starving myself just because I'm counting calories! Thanks, Jami. I can't wait until we're skinny *****es.
  • koosorlose
    Options

rubbish.

it totally is food.

it's just not food that fit into her day.

it's fine either way- but her friend is feeling guilty. Tell her to stop feeling guilty and eat the damn doughnut if she wants it.

Donuts are TOTALLY food!!! Just not gonna treat myself to one today! Maybe tomorrow. :)
  • Jenn19891
    Jenn19891 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I get this all the time at work and I'm closer to 1700-2000 calories per day. If you know you're healthy, that's all that really matters. :)
  • Tracey_B_72
    Tracey_B_72 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I had a bagel with cream cheese on it AND I count calories...I'm like the offspring of you and your buddy :P

But seriously, fad diets come and go, accounting for the calorie content of the food you eat, is here to stay :-)

I had a cinammon and raisin bagel toasted for my lunch and it was lovely.

I had planned on it being my lunch today.
  • koosorlose
    Options

I had a cinammon and raisin bagel toasted for my lunch and it was lovely.

I had planned on it being my lunch today.

Yummm...maybe I'll allot for a cinnamon raisin bagel tomorrow :)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

I second this all the way.
  • suzyfj8
    suzyfj8 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    She is just trying to undermine your determination, ignore her, she is jealous, let them eat their cake, and we can do it our way and lose weight healthily :)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Is there some strange definition of food that has passed me by?
  • BrittanyMG3
    BrittanyMG3 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Be proud of your choices and the progress you've made! Don't let your friend get you down, good for you for resisting temptation! sounds like your friend could benefit from your example if she stopped being so stubborn! :wink: