Tips to get over a heartache

Options

Replies

• mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Relationships are funny.
    you can have a 99.9% failure rate but, that ONE sucessful one makes it all worth it.

would you come over and explain this to my mother, please? i'm sick to death of hearing her crow about how much better at relationships she is than me because she's had two husbands to my four boyfriends. no, you do not win the relationship game just because you were married for seventeen years. :huh:
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Meditate:)
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    finding a playmate :bigsmile:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    the best way to get over someone is to get under someone else.... :wink:
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Tips to get over a heartache. And tips to not check on them on fb etc

The best advice I can think of came from Nikki Six from Motley Crue:

The best revenge is living well and looking good!

Go get a pedicure!

This!!

And make a new platonic friend. Works every time.
  • briggitte59
    briggitte59 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    hitting the gym hard ! Meet new people when they see you are happy they will try to ruin your new relationships...but don't let them ! It kills them too see you happy with other people. YOU GOT THIS :smokin:
  • AnxiousPenman
    AnxiousPenman Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Do not immediately jump into another relationship because you're lonely or to make yourself feel desirable. I'll never understand that kind of advice. You're in an incredible emotional and vulnerable place right now and the last thing you want to do is bring someone else into that.

Take the time to redefine yourself as an individual rather than part of a couple. One of the worst parts of a break-up is that feeling of losing a part of yourself because you've been so connected to someone else. The best way to combat that feeling is to remember who you are by yourself, unattached to anyone else ... and if you're not happy with who you are as an individual, then, again, it's time to redefine your individuality.

My ex and I were together for 5 years, and when we split up, I felt so completely lost because I had long ago stopped thinking of myself as "me" and thought of myself as part of "us". So when that "us" was no longer there, I no longer had any idea who I was by myself.

And I immediately jumped into a new relationship ... that ended incredibly poorly, because if I didn't know who *I* was as an individual any longer, how could I possibly know who I was in a couple with someone that wasn't my ex?

So I decided to really redefine myself. Create my own goals and figure out who I wanted to be as "me" before I even considered becoming an "us" again.

Time heals all wounds a hell of a lot faster when you're aggressively using that time to create a better, happier, prouder version of yourself.
  • RealMarkD
    RealMarkD Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Recently went through this. Wasn't ready to cut the person out completely, so I deactived my FB to avoid the temptation of checking up on her (I'll go back, eventually). Also have a good group of friends who I can lean on when I need it. It just takes time, so do keep doing what you'd do on any given day, and if needed--hit the gym harder.

Hope things get better soon!
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Relationships are funny.
    you can have a 99.9% failure rate but, that ONE sucessful one makes it all worth it.

It's finding that one sucessful relationship is a b*tch.

With my last breakup I got into orchid collecting and I rearanged the furniture in living room.
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    That feeling just plains sucks! Time is your best healer...But what helped me during a past heartache was to be around my friends and not stay cooped up in the house. Also I found myself hitting the gym and going out for runs a lot more which was a big plus for my confidence.

As far as FB/IG goes block him. Out of sight, out of mind! Keep it moving.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Look for a rebound. The sooner you're dating again, the sooner you'll overcome the heartache, just don't get attached to the rebound!
    Go out with friends. Go dancing, out to dinner, shopping, whatever, just get OUT.
    Pedicure.
    Chocolate.
    Sorry you're heartbroken.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Time - and keeping busy.

Find things to do that distract you (they gym, a hobby, something.....) Unfriend him on social media - then less likely to try to check up on him.

Sorry you have to go through it -but I am sure there is a good reason, not that that makes it much easier.
  • Hannah_Hopes
    Hannah_Hopes Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Time, sorry thats really about it, keep busy it does get easier, I didn't believe it would but it does :flowerforyou:

edit: and when you feel strong enough delete their numbers and any media contact and if that don't help and still do it, deactivate/ re-create all social media with nothing on them that links them to you, even ask them to block you on it
  • magnolia_ah
    magnolia_ah Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    no contact with ur ex for 6 months.. it works..focus on ur self during no contact ...
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Keep busy, listen to break up songs (the ones that make you feel like you're better off not the ones that makes you want to curl up in a corner and cry), and stay away from social media. You would think deleting them from your friend list would solve the problem right...trust me you'll find another way to creep them, so just avoid Le Facebook and Le Instagram altogether.

I know this is a diet site and we should be promoting healthy habits but sometimes a girl just needs some booze and a big piece of cake! Whatever you do don't watch The Notebook or A Walk To Remember. -_- trust me it's not a good idea no matter how much you think it is at the time. I'd watch Game Of Thrones, nothing like a good Red Wedding to make you forget your lost love! :D Feel better darling!
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    go dead lift - as heavy as possible
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    easiest way to get over someone, is to get under someone else... and hit the gym between sessions
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    My buddy always says it's always best to get under the next ex...Not that that's my motto.
    I was more grateful that he did me the favor of leaving :)
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I recently just got dumped myself, so I'm right there with you. My tips are probably just a repeat of what everyone else has said:

Cut off all contact.
    Go out with your friends and spend time with your family.
    Keep occupied.
    Work out more than you usually do.
    Like "I dated that douche" on Facebook and read other ladies torturous relationship endings to make yourself feel better.

:heart:
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    block them on facebook
    eat lots of ketchup chips
    bake yourself something nice
    cry
    work out
    buy new boots
    listen to good music and cry some more
    wait until it fades away