What If You found out

Options

Replies

• NS81
    NS81 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Depends. Did they beat someone to death with a baseball bat because they felt like it? Or did they shoot the drunk driver that caused an accident that killed their child?

beat one to death with a rock....and shot the other one. it was back in the late 60's early 70's. but I just keep a close eye on him.

Eek! I would too - curious, how old was he at the time he did this?

late teens early twentys

Hopefully he's grown and changed, though if he were in prison, and I was asked if I thought he should be paroled, I would have said no.
  • AtticWindow
    AtticWindow Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I've never thought about this scenario before, but I would probably bring them coffee in the morning on a regular and predictable schedule. Every time I brought the coffee, I would give them a compliment and then ask what their plans were. Using this highly scientific method of Pavlovian seduction I would eventually get the coworker comfortable enough to share any schemes or plans for evil with me, and then alert the authorities in time to save the day. I would stand just outside the crime scene barricade wearing a superman cape and the victorious glare of a much younger, hotter, more female Bruce Willis. If there were no breeze, I would bring along a fan to flutter the cape for me.

/eyes suspiciously. I see we are both vying for this whole "evil genius ruling the world" title thing.

You can rule. I'll be enforcement.

Perfect. Hand of the Queen. I promise you won't get murdered.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    That is pretty much the story behind a guy I used to work with. Nobody knew anything for a while, but it was obvious he was a bit different. The stereotypical super muscled tattoo guy with the constant bad language. But he was honest, and hard working, and most of us thought he was good people. When we found out he had done serious time for serious offense, it didn't change much how we felt about him. He found out that we knew and one day sat at the break table and told us the story. It was a giant case of, "I wish I'm never faced with this scenario". Just a horrible roll of the dice. I've left that job since, but whenever I go back to see some friends, he is still there and still doing a great job.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    This is really the number one reason why I prefer working at home.

Really? Mine is yoga pants and laundry.

and constant access to adult entertainment.

rofl.

I mean, those are all good reasons too. But my idea of a perfect day is wearing yoga pants, masturbating, AND not getting murdered by my angry ex-convict coworker. It's gotta be all three, or nada.

Unfortunately, being at home provides no guarantee you won't be murdered by your angry ex-con coworker. Just means you might be wearing yoga pants or doing "other things"
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Depends. Did they beat someone to death with a baseball bat because they felt like it? Or did they shoot the drunk driver that caused an accident that killed their child?

beat one to death with a rock....and shot the other one. it was back in the late 60's early 70's. but I just keep a close eye on him.

late teens early twentys

So 40 years ago? How long was he supposed to be in jail that he only got out on a technicality?

That being said, if he has been out for a while, I think you are okay. Just be wary but not scared. People who have done their time have a right to be able to pursue a normal life once that time is served.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

and constant access to adult entertainment.

rofl.

I mean, those are all good reasons too. But my idea of a perfect day is wearing yoga pants, masturbating, AND not getting murdered by my angry ex-convict coworker. It's gotta be all three, or nada.

Unfortunately, being at home provides no guarantee you won't be murdered by your angry ex-con coworker. Just means you might be wearing yoga pants or doing "other things"

You will be safe as long as you take your meth....

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/man-meth-fights-cops-masturbating-police-article-1.1557876
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Luke_I_am_your_spotter Posts: 4,179 Member
    Options
    I'd just continue mfping at work as usual. I may not want to be in the copy room at the same time of said killer, but there's no way in hell they are going to deter me from typing in chit chat n games.
  • Iceberg_Simpson
    Iceberg_Simpson Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif

NO TOUCHING!!!!
  • Texusmc
    Texusmc Posts: 129 Member
    Options

late teens early twentys

So 40 years ago? How long was he supposed to be in jail that he only got out on a technicality?

That being said, if he has been out for a while, I think you are okay. Just be wary but not scared. People who have done their time have a right to be able to pursue a normal life once that time is served.

he was supposed to get life. he only served about 35 yrs....i am not overly scared..but very wary . especially when he is angry or upset and is flying off the handle beating up his computer and desk. we do get along but as I said, I do keep a very watchful eye on him
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Well for sure, I wouldn't ask him about his sex life!!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

late teens early twentys

he was supposed to get life. he only served about 35 yrs....i am not overly scared..but very wary . especially when he is angry or upset and is flying off the handle beating up his computer and desk. we do get along but as I said, I do keep a very watchful eye on him

Only served 35 years? How long do you think "life" is as a sentence?
  • verymissk
    verymissk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I am WAY more concerned with the people out there that have not yet committed crimes but are clearly not right in the head.... I mean, lord knows what anyone on the street is doing in the comfort of their homes.

That being said, I'm really not terribly concerned with any of it at all. I am smart and use common sense, and think that if today is my day to be bludgeoned to death by a psycho, there was probably little I could have done to stop the situation from manifesting. That's just the way the universe works if you ask me.
  • verymissk
    verymissk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Furthermore, I think if I were a convicted murder, nothing would send me in to a subsequent rage like someone talking about how scared of me they are on an internet forum.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

late teens early twentys

shuzzput. Now I get it. Well done sir.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    I work in a jail.

I would have no problem with working with a convicted felon/murderer.
    The fact that he/she had been released because of a fu*k up, would be the thing that would make me the most uneasy, for obvious reasons.

Personally, I would probably never be alone with this person at any time.
    But I wouldn't avoid them or avoid talking to them.

My advice is to be alert when this person is around and if it makes you feel better to carry a firearm (and your workplace allows it) then carry one, as long as you have been educated on safely using and carrying one.

Not every convicted felon/murderer walks around with a sign around their neck announcing it. You'd be surprised how many people you interact with on a daily basis who have violent tendencies or who've been convicted of a violent crime.

I would want to know the details of the situation before I was afraid. Was it a crime of passion or premeditated etc?
    Accidents happen.
    Also, if he/she was convicted, then your workplace is aware of the crime and hired them anyway.

Just my opinion on the matter.

crime of passion and pre meditated (killed 2 ppl). its a family run business so he is related to the owners... he is older...(mid 60's) but yeah i do keep a watchful eye on him ...ALWAYS. he is a nice enough guy around me but it is def the elephant in the room that no one really talks about.

Two questions:
    1) is the elephant in the room dead?
    2) if so, was it murdered?

i feel like these are important.
  • Texusmc
    Texusmc Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Only served 35 years? How long do you think "life" is as a sentence?
    [/quote]

well avg life expectancy is between 85-90 yrs. that is why most life sentences are 99-100 yrs. I do feel for the families of the victims. they protested his release and lost. with no court documentation what are you going to do ?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    He served 35 years. Meh.

And yeah, there are a lot of scary people out in the world who just haven't been caught yet. I wouldn't worry too much about an old guy who served most of his time.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options

I can't work from home. I would get nothing done...

I wish I could work from home. Or just collect a paycheck for maintaining my own home AND shaving my legs... I mean, I'm worth it.

Huh. Just realized my profile picture today is awfully fitting given the theme of the day :)
    Damn it! My dream is to just collect a paycheck for maintaining my own home, working out AND shaving my legs. We're doomed!
    burn.jpg
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I haven't read any of the other responses...but I don't think I'd be worried and I would not be armed. I'd assume they probably had some weird circumstances that led to the event and it was sketchy and not a 100% coldblooded type of thing. I would think that at the very least the situation might have scared them enough to be paranoid about doing anything else loco in the future. It might be naïve of me but I would also think the fact they were able to get and maintain their job over time was a good sign they were at least somewhat functional and/or rehabilitated even if they used to be a hardcore criminal.

ETA: I just noticed the part in the OP about "anger issues"...I'd wanna be sure management had a handle on that business, tbh.