Shreddin' Eleven, Week One

Options

Replies

• WriteNovels
    WriteNovels Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yeah, After day 3 my legs were a bit tight. I have been working out with my boyfriend and we find different things difficult. He does a lot of bike riding, so his legs didn't hurt. However, he says his core hurts an awful lot. I am the opposite. I am use to pilates, so the ab stuff was easy for me and the leg stuff is difficult.

I am getting to the point where I am just okay with being sore. I know that this is the best for my body, and it is what needs to happen for change.
  • MaryTheIceCube
    MaryTheIceCube Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Yeah, After day 3 my legs were a bit tight. I have been working out with my boyfriend and we find different things difficult. He does a lot of bike riding, so his legs didn't hurt. However, he says his core hurts an awful lot. I am the opposite. I am use to pilates, so the ab stuff was easy for me and the leg stuff is difficult.

I am getting to the point where I am just okay with being sore. I know that this is the best for my body, and it is what needs to happen for change.

Yeah, I think that's why my abs aren't bothering me much at this point. I've even done my Baron Baptiste yoga DVD (abs, back & bliss), to add to the Shred's ab workout. My arms are feeling it, as push-ups are not (yet) my strong point, but not too terribly. Legs are still tight, but I agree with you about being alright with being sore -- and, like Jillian says during the Level 1 workout, stress is what will cause our bodies to change, and change IS what we are after! :)
  • TeamLeela
    TeamLeela Posts: 3,302
    Options
    D2L2 done !
    278 calories,
    132 avg hr
    157 max hr

I think the numbers may be a little off because I had several interruptions throughout my workout. I'm so glad that jumping jacks only show up in the warm up on level 2. The shoulder raises with a squat are killer. But I survived. I will definitely be feeling it in the morning.
  • TeamLeela
    Options
    Day 2 done! What does everyone do when you need some water during the workout? Pause the DVD? I don't want to go the whole workout without water, but its hard to find break time...maybe I will try between circuits tomorrow.
    I grab a sip right before we hit the floor for abs!
    Great job, Leela! Awesome determination!! Keep it up! :)
    Awww thanks!
    Day 2, L1 complete at 11:58pm. I also went to the gym this morning and ran 3 miles & walked 1 mile on the treadmill and then I league bowled this afternoon. I was sore enough tonight that I was really close to bagging on doing 30DS, but thankfully I got greedy and wanted to see how high I could run my calorie burn up for the day. Turns out: 1405 =)
    you are unstoppable!
  • sk3etr
    sk3etr Posts: 7
    Options
    Day 3 of the Shred done. Not as sore as I thought I would be, thought that today would just add to the already sore muscles. But it really hasn't since I have added doing some yoga to stretch, calm and relax my mind and body before bed. Now time for a 3 day break, but that doesn't mean that I won't be doing any other kind of exercise. Got plenty of other workouts to keep up and all that. Hope everyone else is keeping up and noticing changes whether they are slight or a huge difference.
  • MaryTheIceCube
    Options
    D2L2 done !
    278 calories,
    132 avg hr
    157 max hr

I think the numbers may be a little off because I had several interruptions throughout my workout. I'm so glad that jumping jacks only show up in the warm up on level 2. The shoulder raises with a squat are killer. But I survived. I will definitely be feeling it in the morning.

I'm excited to try out Level 2... seven more days of Level 1 to go first though! I just finished 40 minutes of dance.. completing my hour of exercise today. Tomorrow, D4L1 + a 30 minute run. :-D Great job on this today, Leela!!
  • MaryTheIceCube
    Options
    Day 3 of the Shred done. Not as sore as I thought I would be, thought that today would just add to the already sore muscles. But it really hasn't since I have added doing some yoga to stretch, calm and relax my mind and body before bed. Now time for a 3 day break, but that doesn't mean that I won't be doing any other kind of exercise. Got plenty of other workouts to keep up and all that. Hope everyone else is keeping up and noticing changes whether they are slight or a huge difference.

I love that you've started doing yoga too. It is absolutely great for helping to calm and relax you. Awesome! What kind of workouts will you be doing during your 3 day break from the Shred?
  • WriteNovels
    Options
    Yay! Just worked it again and I am starting to feel so much better. My legs are no longer shakey afterward!
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Day3/L1 completed! Also did a 62 minute walk on the treadmill tonight. It still kicked my butt, but I felt a little stronger again. Thighs not quite as sore.

My daughter came home from work last night and watched me do some of it and I said, "Instead of watching, you could* do it with me..." She declined. But tonight she asked me if I was going to do it again 'cuz she wanted to join me. She's 25, overweight & out of shape, and a smoker, but she made it through and did surprisingly well. She said she wants to do it again tomorrow night, but we'll see. =)
  • TeamLeela
    Options
    darkrider, that's a great story! I hope she sticks with it. Its definitely about taking baby steps and wanting to do it for herself. It's great that you didn't press the issue or force her into it. I think she will come back for more!!
  • MaryTheIceCube
    Options
    WriteNovels: That's GREAT! Way to stick with it! My legs are less sore after Day 4 this morning, though my calves are still fairly tight. Hoping my 30 minute run this evening will help with that.. :) Arms are getting stronger... core too. Love it!

darkrider: That is awesome!! I agree with Leela -- it's great that you let her choose whether or not to join you, and it sounds like she's given it some serious thought. You're setting a GREAT example for your children! Keep it up!

Fitting in my daily Shred workout first thing in the morning has been working out really great so far. I had plans on fitting my run in this morning too, but we ended up staying up so late that I got up in enough time only to do Day 4 of the Shred, and then had to hustle to get ready for work. But, it's all good. I will have my run this evening, on the treadmill, before settling down to watch Biggest Loser Couples. :)
  • sk3etr
    sk3etr Posts: 7
    Options
    Since taking a break from the Shred, I have other workouts that I did today. Did some Gilad work out disc for a half hour to keep up for when I start back with the Shred with my boyfriend gets back here. I also tried out the Gold's Gym Dance Workout, didn't really care for it, but kept with it for about 20 minutes. Yoga later on to stretch out and relax the mind and muscles!
  • TeamLeela
    Options
    D3L3 is done! It was brutal, but I am still alive. There is a lot of plyo jumping moves in level 3 and my knee couldn't stand the beating. I did all the moves the first time and then did mostly modifications on the second set. I just went at my own pace, but I still wanted to push myself.

I am icing and elevating my knee now. I recommend for those were are still sore after day 4 to do some extra stretching after. Someone mentioned doing yoga moves, that should really help too.
    Chandra, thanks for being so dedicated to the thread. You are doing an awesome job at responding to everyone individually and really making us feel part of the team.

Here's my stats:
    27 minutes,
    262 calories
    avg hr 130
    max hr 161

I could have literally punched Jillian in the face tonight! But I will press play on the dvd again tomorrow because we have a love hate relationship!
  • WriteNovels
    Options
    Great Job Leela!

I found the second Level to be way harder. I did it, but I too wanted to punch Jillian. I'm not looking forward to Level 3, but I'll do it.

P.s. My boyfriend has been working out with me and eating right, and he has lost 10lbs in 6 days! Awesome. I'm not doing so bad either with 5lbs! We never really worked out before and ate a lot of junk, so I can understand it.
  • MaryTheIceCube
    Options
    Since taking a break from the Shred, I have other workouts that I did today. Did some Gilad work out disc for a half hour to keep up for when I start back with the Shred with my boyfriend gets back here. I also tried out the Gold's Gym Dance Workout, didn't really care for it, but kept with it for about 20 minutes. Yoga later on to stretch out and relax the mind and muscles!

Great job!! I love the Gilad kickboxing workouts. :)
    I am icing and elevating my knee now. I recommend for those were are still sore after day 4 to do some extra stretching after. Someone mentioned doing yoga moves, that should really help too.
    Chandra, thanks for being so dedicated to the thread. You are doing an awesome job at responding to everyone individually and really making us feel part of the team.

I hope the knee feels better soon, Leela! I noticed that Jillian doesn't spend a whole lot of time on stretching out after Level 1, and I imagine it's a similar story with Levels 2 and 3, so thank you for the tips. I've been keeping up with my running and yoga, and I think that's helped me to become less sore as these 5 days have marched on. I'm feeling pretty great today, after having completed Day 5 this morning. Another twenty minute workout planned for this evening -- I'm thinking yoga. And Leela, thank you!! I really appreciate your input and help as well -- I'm excited about seeing this workout all the way through, and the support and encouragement we've got going on here on this thread is just GREAT!! So, thank you to ALL of you for participating!
    P.s. My boyfriend has been working out with me and eating right, and he has lost 10lbs in 6 days! Awesome. I'm not doing so bad either with 5lbs! We never really worked out before and ate a lot of junk, so I can understand it.

Congratulations on your successes, you and your boyfriend both!! That is GREAT! Keep it up, and it becomes not just a temporary diet and exercise plan, but a total lifestyle change, all for the better. :)
  • WriteNovels
    Options

Congratulations on your successes, you and your boyfriend both!! That is GREAT! Keep it up, and it becomes not just a temporary diet and exercise plan, but a total lifestyle change, all for the better. :)

Yes! We enjoy working out together a lot. It is kind of a team building thing with us. We live together, share a bank account, plan to get married, we are a team already. We just never really had an outlet to cheer each other on and feel better afterwards!
  • MaryTheIceCube
    Options
    Yes! We enjoy working out together a lot. It is kind of a team building thing with us. We live together, share a bank account, plan to get married, we are a team already. We just never really had an outlet to cheer each other on and feel better afterwards!

Isn't it great?! I share a very similar relationship with my boyfriend; we are absolutely a team and work together to create the life that we want. We encourage one another in our mutual and individual goals, and I think that without my boyfriend, I doubt I'd have come as far as I have in the 2+ years we've been together. It's just amazing! I'm happy to know that you and your boyfriend enjoy a healthy, great relationship as well. :)
  • DanaMThompson
    Options
    Just finished day 1 of level 1 and WOW what a work out! I have never had my butt kicked like that. Jillian strikes the right balance between motivation and sympathy- she's awesome!
    During the workout, though, I realized how much I wanted to lose weight and how much I had let myself go- leading to an emotional moment in the middle of it. But I loved it! Why? Because it showed me I'm changing on the inside AND on the outside!

Just one question- how do you calculate the calories you burn? I'm not sure what to file it under on my exercise entry...
  • eva78
    eva78 Posts: 16
    Options
    Hey there - hope I'm not too late in joining in. I started the shred on the 2nd of January but will also be doing a body spinning class with weights twice a week and (hopefully) the shred 4-5 times :) I've started it a couple of times but never finished and am hoping this will give me the motivation to stick with it.

So far it's going ok. My muscles are a bit sore and will probably just get worse. I took my measurements to begin with and am looking forward to see the result in 30days.

I'm so relieved that I'm not the only one who gets annoyed (to say the least) at Jillian at times :)

PS. Is anyone else getting a bit of a high burn count from login this as circuit training?
  • TeamLeela
    Options
    dana, eva, I wear a hrm and I usually get about 250-270 calories in 27 minutes, that's including the warm up and cool down. Which I don't know if all of you are including too. What type of numbers do you get?