Shreddin' Eleven, Week One

Options

Replies

• TeamLeela
    TeamLeela Posts: 3,302
    Options
    eva, welcome, it shouldn't be too late to join. I don't think Chandra would turn you away. She's too awesome for that!
  • eva78
    eva78 Posts: 16
    Options
    Leela - MFP gives me 258 so that may be accurate. I don't have a HM so I'll just go by that for now. Thanks for the info.

BTW this is an awesome thread, so much motivation and energy and positivity from everyone. All of a sudden D3L1 tomorrow isn't looking as bad :)
  • bk2011
    bk2011 Posts: 268
    Options
    Hey Everyone! Just finished day 5! Halfway to level 2! The soreness is starting to ease up a little bit, and did todays entire workout without any pauses. Unfortunately, my pushups have a long way to go! I can't believe how weak I am in that area!

I've been logging 200 calories for my workouts and using 20 minutes. I don't have an HRM and didn't want to OVER estimate.

When is everyone weighing in? I "weigh in" in a lot because I sort of have an addiction to the scale, but am thinking my official weigh in days are going to change to Fridays. Just wondering...I can report progress whenever every one else is planning to. I took before pics and measurements so hopefully I will have some progress to report at the end of the month.

Going on a tropical vacation next month so will wait until after the 30 days to pick up a bathing suit!

Great job everyone...keep it up!
  • MaryTheIceCube
    MaryTheIceCube Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Just finished day 1 of level 1 and WOW what a work out! I have never had my butt kicked like that. Jillian strikes the right balance between motivation and sympathy- she's awesome!
    During the workout, though, I realized how much I wanted to lose weight and how much I had let myself go- leading to an emotional moment in the middle of it. But I loved it! Why? Because it showed me I'm changing on the inside AND on the outside!

Just one question- how do you calculate the calories you burn? I'm not sure what to file it under on my exercise entry...

Welcome, and congrats on finishing Day 1! I've been logging my calorie burn under 'circuit training - general'. I don't have an HRM, but after some research on it, this seems to be what a lot of others log it under as well. It seems to be pretty close. I have noticed such a mental/emotional change in myself too, right along with the physical changes. It's just amazing!! Congrats on your emotional moment! :)
    BTW this is an awesome thread, so much motivation and energy and positivity from everyone. All of a sudden D3L1 tomorrow isn't looking as bad :)

Thank you, and welcome to the group!! Nobody's ever too late to jump on in here. I hope to keep this thread (well, a new Shreddin' Eleven thread each week) going for as long as possible... see if we get more people to join us along the way, no matter where we start or end up -- it's just a matter of keeping with it, seeing it all the way through and supporting one another along the way! :)

Leela -- thank you for helping me welcome everybody!! You rock! :-D

Hey Everyone! Just finished day 5! Halfway to level 2! The soreness is starting to ease up a little bit, and did todays entire workout without any pauses. Unfortunately, my pushups have a long way to go! I can't believe how weak I am in that area!

I've been logging 200 calories for my workouts and using 20 minutes. I don't have an HRM and didn't want to OVER estimate.

When is everyone weighing in? I "weigh in" in a lot because I sort of have an addiction to the scale, but am thinking my official weigh in days are going to change to Fridays. Just wondering...I can report progress whenever every one else is planning to. I took before pics and measurements so hopefully I will have some progress to report at the end of the month.

Going on a tropical vacation next month so will wait until after the 30 days to pick up a bathing suit!

Day 5!!! Me too!! Looking forward to Day 6 in the morning, and definitely looking forward to a change in the routine on Tuesday, when it's time for Level 2! I've noticed I'm not nearly as sore as I was two days ago. Great job on the no pauses today, that's awesome!! I too am pretty weak in the pushup area too. Still doing the modified ones.

I have generally been weighing in on Thursdays for MFP and the Pound for Pound Challenge purposes -- I may well stick with that and just include my weekly weigh in as part of my Thursday post around here. I'd say weekly weigh ins would work for most -- those of you who weigh in less often, that would be perfectly fine too! Each of us can pick our own weigh in day, since most of us seem to have a day set already, that would be absolutely fine! I can't wait to see everyone's before/after photos!!! :-D

Oooooh, a tropical vacation -- enjoy!! That sounds just wonderful!!
  • sk3etr
    sk3etr Posts: 7
    Options
    Ok, so I couldn't stay away from the Shred. Did day 4 on my part of it, feeling great, along with some more Gilad kickboxing. I had to take some breaks in between to get some water to keep my throat moist, battling a sore throat right now. Am pretty tired right now, but I'm going to make some more tea, drink that and then some yoga, then bed.
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    darkrider, that's a great story! I hope she sticks with it. Its definitely about taking baby steps and wanting to do it for herself. It's great that you didn't press the issue or force her into it. I think she will come back for more!!

Thanks =) I hate to admit, but I was a little irritated that she just sat there for like *10* minutes watching me while I was sucking wind and trying not to die. It made me very self-conscious and I wasn't liking that too much....BUT...I tried not to let it show when I suggested she join me. You totally coulda picked my jaw off the floor the next night when she said she'd take me up on it. In retrospect, I realize now it wasn't me she was watching. She was watching the video and deciding if she wanted to do it.

So I got lucky this time by biting my tongue and not saying something stupid that would've kept her from doing something really good for herself. Who says parenting doesn't involve a little bit of luck sometimes? :wink:
  • darkrider42
    Options
    Finished D4/L1 tonight! And my daughter has done 3 days in a row now! I didn't have the energy to do it last night. I got home from a hard workout at the gym around 9:30pm and still needed to eat dinner so I waved off the Shred, but she forged on and did it by herself! I still can't believe it. Looks like we're going to do this whole thing together. =) We also had a little fun bagging on Natalie a little. (Mostly just 'cuz we're jealous. Heh)

SO...my other son, he's 14...and the last of my three children to do this video with me LOL, he pops into the living room tonight while we're working out. He's just recently figured out that girls might not be yucky...and seemed very interested in Natalie and Anita. I might get him in on the workout action before long too. Hey, whatever works, right? :bigsmile:

Oh yeah, and I went to WalMart and picked up the Jillian Michaels dumbbell set for $29. They include pairs of 3, 5, and 8lb weights and a little plastic rack to set them on. I like the rounded dogbone shape, non-slip coating and that they're black and not all pastel pink, yellow and blue. Not that there's anything wrong with that. They definitely kicked the workout up a notch from the 1 pounders I've been using.

Later and good luck shredding, everyone!!
  • TeamLeela
    Options
    last night was D4L1 I wasn't happy to see all those push ups and jumping jacks again. I can't wait until I don't have to do girly push ups anymore.
    stats really quickly.
    27 minutes,
    273 calories
    134 avg hr
    163 max hr

darkrider, you must be so proud of your daughter for taking the first steps. Jillian is not easy. she could have easily started with Leslie Sansone (not dissin' her, but its more low impact), but she jumped right in head first with one of the toughest trainers.

Chandra, I think its a great idea to have a topic every week instead of one long continous one.
    Well I just jumped on here for some motivation.
    Let's keep shreddin'
  • MaryTheIceCube
    Options
    Ok, so I couldn't stay away from the Shred. Did day 4 on my part of it, feeling great, along with some more Gilad kickboxing. I had to take some breaks in between to get some water to keep my throat moist, battling a sore throat right now. Am pretty tired right now, but I'm going to make some more tea, drink that and then some yoga, then bed.

I hope your throat is feeling better today! Well done for sticking to your workouts, sore throat and all. Good job!!
    So I got lucky this time by biting my tongue and not saying something stupid that would've kept her from doing something really good for herself. Who says parenting doesn't involve a little bit of luck sometimes?

Oh for sure it does!! Good for your daughter for sticking with it so far; that is awesome!! Wouldn't it be cool if your 14 year old son hopped aboard and worked out with you and your daughter too? So cool, how we begin to motivate others around us just by doing our own thing, setting an example... love it!

I've been using 3lb hand weights, but have toyed with the idea of moving up to the 5lbs... I think I'll give this a try tomorrow and see how it works out. :)
    I can't wait until I don't have to do girly push ups anymore.

Leela -- same here!!! My arms have long been my weak point... but, we're working on this... and soon, we will be finished with the modified push ups!! Go us!! :-D
  • MaryTheIceCube
    Options
    Day 6 Level 1 complete this morning. I'm to the point where I'm no longer sore, yet I can tell this workout is still making a difference. To be honest, I'm really ready to see what Level 2 has to offer. But, I'm sticking with 10 days on Level 1 first. :) I truly believe this workout has done wonders for my running, too (well, that and the new pair of running shoes! lol). On Tuesday, I almost bailed on my 30 minute treadmill run within the first five minutes, but then I remembered Jillian, during the Level 1 workout, saying that we're stronger and more capable than we are given/give ourselves credit for. I knew then I had to push through and I finished my 30 minutes, feeling GREAT about it! The cross training that the Shred has given me is proving invaluable to the running routine. I'll be SO ready for my half marathon by September, for sure!

This will officially be my first weigh in for this thread as well, since my usual weigh in is on Thursdays anyway. I only just yesterday updated my MFP weight ticker to reflect my holiday gain. I was at 168.4 last Thursday, and today's weight is 168.9. Yep, another half pound gain. But, I cannot and will not let this get me down. I've been working HARD this week... so, I'm putting this slight gain down to strengthening muscles, plus (sorry guy...) TOM is due to arrive any day now, plus my sodium was a little on the high side yesterday. I'm certain the weight will start dropping again in the very near future, which is why I'm not going to fret over this small gain.

I got a tape measure today (thanks to my mom!), so I will be doing measurements this evening, to have another comparison at the end of the Shred... I'm excited about seeing everyone's before/after photos! :)

Keep Shreddin' everyone... you're all doing GREAT!!
  • bk2011
    Options
    Ok first and foremost, can someone please teach Jillian and Anita some proper jumping jack form!!!

Just finished Day 6 and watched level 2 to see whats in store for next week. A lot of the exercises are actually similar to the moves incorporated in Insanity! I've been logging this workout as 20 minutes for the 3 6 minute circuits but didn't realize its actually 28 minutes. Think I will start logging as 25 since I get my heart rate going with the warm ups!

I'm going to weigh in tomorrow morning for the first official time since starting the shred, but am not expecting much since it's that TOM. Will just make next weeks weigh in even better hopefully!

Would anyone be up for a challenge within the challenge?! Here's what I am thinking. We could do a daily challenge within the challenge group...for instance...today I did hip bridges in conjuction with the butterfly presses (so as I brought the weights up, I did a hip bridge...where you squeeze your butt, hold your abs tight, and lift your butt/hips off the ground). Chandra, what do you think? Just for a little extra fun! It doesn't necessarily have to be things like that either...we could have a pushups challenge (how many can you do in the time given) or it could even be related to water intake or food or whatever!

Also, for those that are not on my friends list (feel free to friend me by the way)...I made a "salsa" today with rinsed black beans, corn, avocado, tomato, onion, and a hint of fat free italian dressing that is delicious and pretty healthy! I ate mine with a few flatbread whole wheat crackers and it hit the spot!

Keep up the great work everyone! Have a good evening!
  • bk2011
    Options
    Day 6 Level 1 complete this morning. I'm to the point where I'm no longer sore, yet I can tell this workout is still making a difference. To be honest, I'm really ready to see what Level 2 has to offer. But, I'm sticking with 10 days on Level 1 first. :) I truly believe this workout has done wonders for my running, too (well, that and the new pair of running shoes! lol). On Tuesday, I almost bailed on my 30 minute treadmill run within the first five minutes, but then I remembered Jillian, during the Level 1 workout, saying that we're stronger and more capable than we are given/give ourselves credit for. I knew then I had to push through and I finished my 30 minutes, feeling GREAT about it! The cross training that the Shred has given me is proving invaluable to the running routine. I'll be SO ready for my half marathon by September, for sure!

This will officially be my first weigh in for this thread as well, since my usual weigh in is on Thursdays anyway. I only just yesterday updated my MFP weight ticker to reflect my holiday gain. I was at 168.4 last Thursday, and today's weight is 168.9. Yep, another half pound gain. But, I cannot and will not let this get me down. I've been working HARD this week... so, I'm putting this slight gain down to strengthening muscles, plus (sorry guy...) TOM is due to arrive any day now, plus my sodium was a little on the high side yesterday. I'm certain the weight will start dropping again in the very near future, which is why I'm not going to fret over this small gain.

I got a tape measure today (thanks to my mom!), so I will be doing measurements this evening, to have another comparison at the end of the Shred... I'm excited about seeing everyone's before/after photos! :)

You are going to rock that half marathon!!! And YEAH mom for getting a tape measure...I'm hoping for big progress in the inches department with this workout!
  • DanaMThompson
    Options
    Day 2 is completed. I kept having to repeat my signature quote to myself as I was doing it. I wasn't really sure about it, but I love the at home workout with the DVD. I find that I am having to compete and defeat myself and my own negativity. At a gym, I look at other people, magazines, etc. and 'compete' against them. But when it is just me and that damn DVD, it is me vs. me.
    Love this!
  • TeamLeela
    Options
    D5L2! Done! I usually use 5 pound weights, but I had to go to 3 pounders for the shoulder work. What size weights does everyone else use?
    I must have kicked up the intensity today because my hrm stats were higher than the last time I did level 2.

307 calories
    142 avg h/r
    175 max h/r
  • TeamLeela
    Options

You definitely have the right attitude!! That's great that your scale measures in .1 incrememnts. What day of the week are we posting our weight on here? Are we posting comparative photos at the end of the month?
  • MaryTheIceCube
    Options
    I'm going to weigh in tomorrow morning for the first official time since starting the shred, but am not expecting much since it's that TOM. Will just make next weeks weigh in even better hopefully!

Would anyone be up for a challenge within the challenge?! Here's what I am thinking. We could do a daily challenge within the challenge group...for instance...today I did hip bridges in conjuction with the butterfly presses (so as I brought the weights up, I did a hip bridge...where you squeeze your butt, hold your abs tight, and lift your butt/hips off the ground). Chandra, what do you think? Just for a little extra fun! It doesn't necessarily have to be things like that either...we could have a pushups challenge (how many can you do in the time given) or it could even be related to water intake or food or whatever!

Also, for those that are not on my friends list (feel free to friend me by the way)...I made a "salsa" today with rinsed black beans, corn, avocado, tomato, onion, and a hint of fat free italian dressing that is delicious and pretty healthy! I ate mine with a few flatbread whole wheat crackers and it hit the spot!

That's what I'm hoping about next weeks weigh in too! TOM should be here any day now for me, too.

I like your challenge within a challenge idea... I'm hoping to keep this weekly thread going throughout the year, people can join in whenever throughout the year that way. And, a daily challenge sounds like a great way to keep the motivation and support going even further. Since it sounds like you've got a plethora of ideas for daily challenges, I wonder if you'd mind helping me handle this aspect of the group? I'm thinking you could send me an email with a few ideas for the upcoming week, or we can brainstorm some together... decide together which ones to do on each day of the week... and then either you or I can post each day's challenge -- perhaps the day before so everyone knows what the next day's challenge will be... again, great idea, and we'll work with it for sure. Thank you! :-D

Your salsa sounds great!! I LOVE avocados!! :)
  • MaryTheIceCube
    Options
    Day 2 is completed. I kept having to repeat my signature quote to myself as I was doing it. I wasn't really sure about it, but I love the at home workout with the DVD. I find that I am having to compete and defeat myself and my own negativity. At a gym, I look at other people, magazines, etc. and 'compete' against them. But when it is just me and that damn DVD, it is me vs. me.
    Love this!

I have that same battle with myself, me versus my negativity about my abilities and strength, especially when I'm running on the treadmill. It's definitely proved to be great in aiding my mental/emotional growth along the way!
    You definitely have the right attitude!! That's great that your scale measures in .1 incrememnts. What day of the week are we posting our weight on here? Are we posting comparative photos at the end of the month?

Thank you!! I use Wii Fit Plus and the balance board to weigh in. I love it. :) As far as the day of week we're weighing in here, it's whichever day works best for you. I'm already weighing in on Thursdays, so I want to keep to that. bk2011 is weighing in on Fridays.. just, whichever day suits you! :) Some of us have taken "before" photos (I'll be using my current profile photo), and are planning on taking "after" photos, whenever we complete the Shred, for comparison. I'm excited to see everyone's before/after photos!! :-D
  • darkrider42
    Options
    D5/L1 complete! Just me this time. Daughter needed a night off. I'm trying to use heavier weights on the exercises I feel able to. Pushups are getting easier. Oh, and I did actual butt kicks for the first time tonight! Still can't balance on the lunges to save my life. =)
  • sk3etr
    sk3etr Posts: 7
    Options
    Still battling the sore throat. Little sleep last night but still ended up getting my workout in and even managed a nap. Did some more kickboxing and yoga, now it's off to take some more medicine and then get some rest so this goes away quickly whatever it is.
  • MaryTheIceCube
    Options
    D5/L1 complete! Just me this time. Daughter needed a night off. I'm trying to use heavier weights on the exercises I feel able to. Pushups are getting easier. Oh, and I did actual butt kicks for the first time tonight! Still can't balance on the lunges to save my life. =)

Well done!! I'm going to start using 5lb weights tomorrow, to replace the 3lb ones I've been using so far. Just for that little extra challenge before I jump into Level 2. :) Not sure how you feel about yoga, but in practicing it myself for a while now, I've found that my balance has improved a LOT (still not perfect, but.. much better). I'm still doing the modified pushups myself, but they are getting easier for me as well. Great job on keeping up on this!! :)
    Still battling the sore throat. Little sleep last night but still ended up getting my workout in and even managed a nap. Did some more kickboxing and yoga, now it's off to take some more medicine and then get some rest so this goes away quickly whatever it is.

Way to go on sticking with your workout routine even with that throat still bothering you!! I hope you've been able to catch up on your rest and your throat begins to feel better very SOON!