older people

Options

Replies

• flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Here I was thinking 50 was the new 30, but now I'm "older". Ouch!

Well, this 51 yr old elder has dropped 80 lbs, so it's definitely possible. Doing it the same way the "youngsters" do ... good nutrition with a slight calorie deficit, plus exercise.

So yes, you kids in your 40s can certainly do this if you set your minds to it, set a goal, and create a plan.

Happy to add an old timer who needs a bit of encouragement.
  • BuildaBetterBody4
    Options
    LMBO reading some of these posts. You "older folks" sure do have a sense of humor. 48 yo here actually trying to regain lost weight in the form of lean muscle mass eventually. Once I started to clean up my diet of processed foods containing GMO"s my weight and muscle tone dropped and that ain't hot. Now that I am learning about macros micros and how the body stores fat I am committed to getting my (I won't say old) former body back. I want to be FAB at 50. 49th birthday in Sep.
  • Wandering_1
    Wandering_1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    This turned into the funniest thread. It sure pulled us "old" people out of the cracks. 46 here!
  • NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    47 here, and happy for anyone to add me if they wish. :drinker:
  • countscalories
    countscalories Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Getting older can be a pain in the neck. In fact, sometimes it sucks! But I am forever young (even though I just turned 53). I can do anything now that I could do 30 years ago, except now it's better-- I have more money, more time, and more fun! At least for me, the weight goes on and comes off the same way it always did. Eat too much and I gain weight, eat less and I lose weight. I refuse to become my own enabler by letting the "I'm older and can't lose like I used to" whine even enter my thoughts. The importance of a positive attitude is the most valuable lesson I've learned from you folks on MFP. Keep up your fight, no matter how "old" you think you are! You can do it!
  • countscalories
    countscalories Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    By the way, my MFP photo (see left) makes me look older than I really am...
  • BuildaBetterBody4
    Options
    Add me fellow olds.???? My son actually refers to me as "The Old". SMH ????
  • looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 and work out more than I did when I was 25. I'm not the wispy creature I was back then, but I am a lot stronger. Mentally and emotionally, I am more content with myself than when I was young. I miss having a younger body, but not the confidence that comes with being older. I'm not afraid to be myself or speak "truth to power" when I need to.

^ This.
  • looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Getting older can be a pain in the neck. In fact, sometimes it sucks! But I am forever young (even though I just turned 53). I can do anything now that I could do 30 years ago, except now it's better-- I have more money, more time, and more fun! At least for me, the weight goes on and comes off the same way it always did. Eat too much and I gain weight, eat less and I lose weight. I refuse to become my own enabler by letting the "I'm older and can't lose like I used to" whine even enter my thoughts. The importance of a positive attitude is the most valuable lesson I've learned from you folks on MFP. Keep up your fight, no matter how "old" you think you are! You can do it!

^ and this!
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    i would really love to get some more older friends , i am 45. that are working losing or have
    been successful to let me know i can still do this at my age.

Just popping in to tell you that yes, I am older than you are, I have hit goal (on day #640) and it is POSSIBLE to be successful at losing weight at an older age. Currently trying to maintain (but still losing apparently).

So hang in there, one day, one pound, one step at a time.:flowerforyou:
  • Lovely_Day1
    Lovely_Day1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hello, Yes it can be done. I’m 50 and had a hysterectomy a few years ago and I believed the hype that I couldn’t lose this weight because I went into surgical menopause. From day 1 of having the mfp app and scanning my snacks, I realized it wasn’t the menopause (in my case) it was the bags of peanuts and cans of soda I was consuming every day. :drinker:
    The weight is coming off and it's great! YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • goldenrodfarm
    goldenrodfarm Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    mmm, here I was thinking I was still young and now after reading this thread I realized I am much older then old. It is funny how old is usually the age of your parents, and young is the age of your kids, well right now my Dad is 88 and my Mother is 86 so as long as they keep aging I will always be young lol. I can't say if it is easier to lose weight when you are younger since I never needed to, but it is not that difficult now, just be honest with your food logging and you have made a big step in the right direction. One of the things that has motivated me a lot is my FitBit Flex that I got a while ago, it challenges me to do at least 10K steps a day, and I find myself walking the long way, and parking further from stores so I will beat my goal. I also have to say now that I am eating more healthy I feel much better, I never want to slip back into the habit of eating poorly again, I know it takes more time and effort to make healthy meals, and sometimes it is more expensive but in the past it was the way I always ate and I am glad to get back into proper eating. I am less then 2 months from 60, but I feel great, age is just a number.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Geeze, are you sure you are looking to make "friends" with this "older people" talk? ;) Not only am I still 24, but I out lift all but two guys in my gym that I know of (a professional steroidally enhanced bodybuilder and the gym owner who appears to take at least test). So there! :)
  • kimmerd37
    kimmerd37 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am 46 years young and feel better than I have in years! Anyone feel free to add me. I am on everyday.
  • tsoukalasj
    tsoukalasj Posts: 5
    Options
    Wow! You think 45 is old? I'm 66 and still hopeful...
  • rick3791
    rick3791 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm 68...5 years ago this month I weighed 380 , today I weigh 175...still want to lose 10 more...only trouble with losing when your "old" is hanging skin everywhere...good luck to all you "old" folks...Rick
  • ewhitelv
    ewhitelv Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm 52. I've used MFP about a year ago and got to my goal weight but then stopped and, surprise, I gained some of it back. Got on the scale the other day so I'm back on MFP. I don't have alot to lose, 10 pounds, but I need to develop consistency so I maintain it.
  • JosieBell2
    JosieBell2 Posts: 8
    Options
    My mom doesn't have MFP but she walks with me and she is losing weight too. She judges her food by what I eat and since we work together lunch is no problem at all. My mom is in her 50's, so don't worry! You CAN do this! :)
  • Outwardlycalm
    Outwardlycalm Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks good advice.
  • FatCatsRule
    FatCatsRule Posts: 37
    Options
    LOL at 45 being "older people." Your parents are "older people." :tongue:

Anyhow, anyone feel free to send me a friend request. As long as you meet my strict age 18-120 age requirement. If you are 121 years old, then you are out !!! :explode:

Darn... I just turned 121. =)