Morbidly Obese and need help now!

Options

Replies

• donjessop
    donjessop Posts: 186
    Options
    I would tend to agree with everyone in that 1200 calories a day is too low. One of the most important things to do is to set realistic goals for yourself and understand that you may not make that goal in the time frame you expected. It took time to put on the weight and it will take time to take off the weight.

I started off at 355 pounds and have shrunk more than 100 pounds. For me there was one thing that was a big factor in both my weight gain and my weight loss: soda. I stopped drinking all soda July 31st last year and I believe that this is the one factor that accounted for the majority of the weight gain/loss.

Another factor was that after examining what I was eating I discovered that I was under eating protein. Sure, I met the MyFitnessPal level (15%), but based on my weight and activity that number was too low. It needed to be over 20% for me to be eating "properly".

So, my advice? Take it slow and keep reading everything you can about nutrition. As for a TDEE calculator, I find the Scooby calculator to be inaccurate for larger individuals such as myself. If It Fits Your Macros (http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/) seems to be more accurate based upon my own experience. (Your mileage may vary.)

You can do this and we are all here to help you whenever you need it.
  • Sassymama66_75HARD
    Sassymama66_75HARD Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared of going to the gym. The only people who would judge you are jerks who don't deserve the time of day or your slightest giving of a single ****.

So agree with this - I did not want to go to the gym but my son encouraged me - everyone has been so wonderful and supportive. Have had some nice conversations with the super fit people and enjoy the gym now!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Read the links that serendipte posted. Lots of good advice there (I especially love the sexypants one)

I am assuming that you entered sedentary as your activity level and a goal to lose 2 lbs per week. If you work in a bank and are on your feet a lot (even if you're standing in place), you can probably use lightly active, which could be a small difference in calories. Also make sure to log your exercise and eat back 50-75% of those calories (this is how MFP is meant to be used!) If you do that, you'll probably be getting enough calories to sustain this long term ... just remember that as your weight goes down, you want to lower your goal to lose less a week :wink:

I also second the advice to not completely cut out any food that you enjoy. Practice portion control and allow yourself treats in moderation - work them into your daily calorie and macro goals.

You are off to a good start - you can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    You can do this!

While I agree with others that you shouldn't be scared of the gym...I totally understand - especially in a small town. A good start with weights would be kettle bells (I love mine!). My advise here - start today! The more weight you lose before really starting to tone, the saggier the skin and we don't want that!

Calories - not a one size fits all. Play with these. I lose best eating at my BMR -15% level. I also do best with a low carb plan. These things are personal and you need to see what feels best for you.

I'd be glad to answer any questions if you'd like to PM me.

Best of luck! You are on the right path.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the forums! I too am morbidly obese, but I'm only 5 lbs away from plain old obese :D The threads mentioned above are a great place to start. Because you're a shorty like me, our bodies sadly require less fuel, thus the lower calorie recommendation. When I first set my account up, mfp gave me 1200 calories to lose 1.4 lbs a week. I dropped it down to 1 lb a week and got roughly 1400. That's been a sustainable amount for me this far. Best of luck!
  • juliezum
    juliezum Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions from all....I'm sure you'd agree. I started out at 275lbs. I'm 5'8". I joined a gym and got myself a PT. I didn't care about being overweight and going to the gym, I did care however about looking stupid using equipment. So for me, the PT was beyond awesome. As far as other gym goers, no problem there. Every person, regardless of shape, are just there doing their own thing. I've been met with smiles and occassionally encouraging word. It's become my "church" so to speak. I not only enjoy going there for the obvious, but it's my hour away from all that is hectic. Good luck to you! Feel free to add me a a friend if you wish.
  • amandasimons50
    amandasimons50 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My name is Win and I am morbidly obese. Seeing those words scare me to the core. Morbidly. I am 5'3" and weigh 238. I work in a bank, so my activity level is limited throughout the day. This is the highest weight I have ever been. To say that I am scared is putting it mildly.

I need to know how to do this? Where to begin, what should my goals be set at, what is a reasonable amount of calories to consume? Does it matter caloric wise that I am obese? I need help. I would love to hear from others that have been here and conquered this.

I have been doing this for about 2 weeks. MFP has me at 1200 calories. I know from reading the forums there is a HUGE debate on 1200 versus eating BMR. I have lost a few pounds but I want to know that I am doing this right. What is best for my body type and long term goals.

I walk 2.1 miles a day on a trail behind our house. This is something that I have started along with restricting calories 2 weeks ago. I can honestly say that I love it. Feels good. So, at this point, exercise is not a problem. I know eventually I am going to have to start with weights, but the idea of walking into our small town gym mortifies me.

I am not looking for a pity party or negative comments. I honestly need help.

Thanks!

Does it have you on 1200 calories based only on your sedentary lifestyle? I'm 5'3" and 244... I'm a daycare teacher so I'm a little more active. I set a goal to lose 2 pounds a week and exercise at least 30 min 7 days a week and my calorie limit is 1590... I'm still a little curious as to how it all works as well...
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

+1

The information in those links is exactly what you need to succeed.

My personal advice:

Set your calories to 1500-1700 per day and log exercise conservatively. I have gone from 186-150 by eating 1600-1900 a day. 1200 will result in weight loss but you will struggle to stay at that deficit which will make it more likely that you binge or quit.

Get a food scale. It's very common for new people to both underestimate their calories while overestimating their exercise burns and then come to the forums and say they are doing everything right but not losing. Weighing your food is as easy as Plate, dump food, zero, dump food, zero, dump food, zero. It seriously takes a few seconds and is more accurate than using cups/spoons.

Find an activity that you enjoy and can do comfortably and stick with it. If you hate the elliptical, don't use it. If you like walking, then walk for 30 mins a day. Pick up some weights, just make sure it is a weight that challenges you.

Good luck. :drinker:
  • MellMo1971
    MellMo1971 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about people looking at you at the gym. All 305 + lbs. of me went there about 10 months ago (through today) and I'm doing all sorts of exercises. I just laugh when I think about things jiggling when I'm doing jumping jacks and jump rope. I'm sure I've been entertaining there! :). You just need to care about you and your goals, not other people's concerns. I'd suggest weight lifting at the very beginning. It is changing my life and body shape in ways I had never imagined. Muscle burns fat and helps you lose the weight. While I'm 5' 9" tall, so can't completely relate to your height, I'd suggest not cutting calories too low, and aim for a 1 lb. loss of fat per week. I have a generous calorie allowance by setting to reach my goals a bit slower, do not rule out any food groups, and realize this is a lifestyle change, not a race. I've lost and regained much weight throughout my life with calorie restrictions and excess cardio; it doesn't last long-term. Weight lifting, moderate cardio, a small calorie deficit, and consistency are the keys to long-term success.
  • MismatchedAlmonds
    MismatchedAlmonds Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and 251! The trick, I've found, is both patience and knowing how to finesse the "rules" of weight loss. For instance, they say that having a community is extremely important to weight loss, but I'm a serious introvert so I thought that wouldn't help me. But then I found MFP and made a few connections in a style that works for me. I have a community but I can check in with them often, but at my leisure and as directly or indirectly as suits me. So I got the community they recommend, but my way.

Feel free to add me! We can help each other!
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I haven't been where you are but a LOT of people on here have. I'd follow their advice as their successes have been amazing!!!
    I just jumped on this thread to encourage you and congratulate you on making the decision to start!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Does it have you on 1200 calories based only on your sedentary lifestyle? I'm 5'3" and 244... I'm a daycare teacher so I'm a little more active. I set a goal to lose 2 pounds a week and exercise at least 30 min 7 days a week and my calorie limit is 1590... I'm still a little curious as to how it all works as well...

Since I'm the same height and have played around with this, age is a big factor too.

I think I was already at 200 when I set up my MFP goals, but maybe 210--I know I'd lost some already. Anyway, at the time I innocently put in "sedentary," since I have a desk job, and was told 1200. I was shocked (didn't yet get that it excluded exercise or the net thing), and played around with it, changing my goal to 1.5. I got 1200 again and noticed that it was telling me I'd only lose 1.4 or 1.2/week anyway (I forget, but it was below 1.5). I changed it to lightly active and 1.5 and got 1390, I believe. I gave up and went with sedentary and custom set my goals to 1250 just to see how it went (it went okay), and subsequently realized that my Fitbit was adding more calories based on my activity (which is at least lightly active) in addition to exercise I imput.

Recently (close to my current weight at 180) I decided to change it to lightly active and see what happened and now I get told that even at lightly active I lose 1.5 at 1250 (losing the weight is good, but it doesn't help with the goal calories). In reality it is more like 2/week and I eat more because of exercise, but MFP here is also consistent with what the TDEE calculators give me. If you are female, 40-something, and 5'3, your TDEE just isn't going to be that high unless you have a LOT of daily activity.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    What is best for my body type and long term goals.

What is "best" is what you can maintain over the long run. For some that is a slow-but-steady pace. For others it is cycles of intense monitoring and strict intake mixed with periods of eating at maintenance. Only you will be able to answer what works best for you - there is no fixed answer.

With the amount you need to lose, you could go six months eating literally nothing but supplements and be fine, in terms of "health", so your range of options is huge. Keep in mind that at your height, you're looking at a BMR in the 1200-1300 range to begin with.

Good luck!
  • debr1126
    debr1126 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like the gym, but I've given up joining one--too many excuses not to go! But it is a lot more fun exercising with other people than by yourself. If you know you'd like it, don't let the fear of running afoul of some sourpuss keep you from going.

Many gyms offer a sort of "get acquainted" thing where you can go a couple times without committing to a year-long contract. Check out the ones you're most likely to actually go to--that is, close to home or along your route to or from work. Try to get an idea how crowded they are at the times you're most likely to go.

Most gyms encourage a friendly, welcoming atmosphere, but you will occasionally find one where you get a snobby vibe. Just scratch that one off the list and move on.

Even in the friendliest gym (or anywhere in life, really), you will occasionally run into that one jerk who gives you a dismissive look. Don't assume it's a size thing; you may also be talking, dressing, laughing or wearing your hair wrong. In fact, there are SO MANY ways you can unintentionally offend a sour, miserable person, it's best to just ignore them altogether ... unless you want to *eyeroll* them right back; makes 'em crazy wondering what *they're* doing wrong.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I too would vote for doing lots of walking .... it is the one thing that most anyone can do and have great results doing it.

And .. slow and steady wins.

No need for a super low calorie limit.

I have also learned that you do not need to kill yourself to be successful .. an hour of day of exercise will do it.

Calories in < calories burned is the answer.

I would recommend logging your stats (intake / exercise etc) .. and after a month determine your real calorie needs, cause the MFP method is ok, but there are better ways.

Good luck.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    When I started the first thing I changed was my eating habits ( cooking things fresh more often) and then I did exercise it all starts with a motivational thought and small changes 1 at a time well done for owning you have a problem and feel free to add me id love to see you transform on your journey this is the start and who knows where it can go!!! I reckon in a yr you will look back and thank goodness you started today(2 weeks ago)
  • tmj4477
    tmj4477 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Just because none of us can see you, know how well you'd do with certain exercise, etc... I would suggest seeing a PT or nutritionist. They'll give you answers catered to your body and your body type/skill level/activity level/job/etc, that way you know exactly what you should be doing/eating/planning/setting as goals.

It's difficult for us to help much besides just saying "Make sure calories out > calories in" (because to be honest, that's weight loss for ya).

I understand it's a scary time. Please just make sure you don't put it off any longer, we all want you to live a long happy life and if something happened to you, it would make it that much more difficult.

So glad to hear you want to start changing your lifestyle!! GOOD LUCK!!

I agree seeing a nutritionist will help tremendously with what you should and how much you should be eating. If you can get a metabolic to see how many calories you burn a day and that will further help your nutritionist guide you on your path.

Also friend people on MFP we are all here to help
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hi Win,

Welcome! You can eat more calories than 1200 and still lose weight because the bigger we are the more we need to eat in order to survive.

Go here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Now, plug in your stats to lose 2 pounds a week and see what you come up with.