anybody trying to get 5% bodyfat

Options

Replies

• Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    My doctor has advised me not to lose too much weight because of the possible loss of bone mass. I don't know how this would work with your goal but you might want to check into the long term effects of body fat that low.

If you're looking for a challenge, why not join a sports team and focus on something like faster and a better hitter? It has a social component as well as physical.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,719 Member
    Options
    My doctor has advised me not to lose too much weight because of the possible loss of bone mass. I don't know how this would work with your goal but you might want to check into the long term effects of body fat that low.

If you're looking for a challenge, why not join a sports team and focus on something like faster and a better hitter? It has a social component as well as physical.
    If one kept the bones under stress, then bone mass loss would be minimal. Moderate exercise strengthens bones increasing it's density and thereby retaining it's mass.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • fcgfit
    fcgfit Posts: 10
    Options

Very good advice. Thanks

I m by no means trying to damage my health, if this progress it is only discomfort and pain, im ok with that because both can be endured, and usually you come out stronger. But if it brings many health problems, i ll go only as far as my good judgement goes.

Thanks again everyone
  • dsm1991
    dsm1991 Posts: 156
    Options
    going for 6 - 7 % personally and lean bulk
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    going for 6 - 7 % personally and lean bulk

but you already look so amazing and beautiful! So when trying to get extra lean, you have to really lower your carb intake? The majority of my carbs currently come from vegetable and fruit and it was difficult to get there.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Not me, I think I look best at about 25%, maybe 30%.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Perceptions of what is or isn't achievable or desirable change over time. It wasn't that long ago a professional soccer player could be at 20% body fat - today, you can't even get on Chelsea's reserve squad unless you have single-digit body fat.

I've never been that low so have no specific wisdom to pass along - just want to say good luck! It's a hell of an aggressive goal, but there's nothing wrong with that, that's how the goalposts get moved.

Cheers!

:drinker:
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    If anyone out there thought the % rates and body images of those really low people from Taiser, looked good, just peel off your skin and then the fat and all you will see is blood vessels and muscle. When natives would skin the enemy it was called barbaric what is this called? I appreciate a lean muscular body not blood vessels, skin, muscle and sinews. We call eating disorders sick. I'm thinking that kind of obsession rates right up there with them.
  • f1redshoes
    f1redshoes Posts: 79
    Options
    A dancer friend of mine (male) is around 5%, but that's with very little effort because it's his natural build. He started out a bit stick-insect-y and had to gain all the muscle through hard work (and a lot of food). Even as a female, and therefore designed to carry more fat, it's been easier for me to get my % down than for him to gain muscle!
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Try this again...

MaleChart_zps48db1798.jpg

Femalchart_zps0f77cff3.jpg

That worked!!! Man they have to update this forum... should be this hard to embed a photo! :(

A word of caution though, this pictures are most likely from athletes whose been training for years, you reaching your goal of 5% bf might not look the same as that guy on the pic, nonetheless.... chasing your goal and being the best you can be is what its all about.... i hear yah man! go for it!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    i find it hilarious that 5% is the ONLY bf not represented on that chart.:laugh:
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I am about 12% right now .. and I don't dare go below about 10%.

I only have some abdominal fat to lose still .. but honestly the name of the game is to gain muscle and strength and improve overall fitness as time goes on. But losing much more body fat ... no way.

I have already been called a "Crack head" at 12% .. and trust me, I don't see many people with body fat % like mine. I am pretty skinny by many peoples standards .. but I can see the light and there is room to improve.

I have seen pictures lately of 8% .. and I just about puked. No thanks.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,719 Member
    Options
    If anyone out there thought the % rates and body images of those really low people from Taiser, looked good, just peel off your skin and then the fat and all you will see is blood vessels and muscle. When natives would skin the enemy it was called barbaric what is this called? I appreciate a lean muscular body not blood vessels, skin, muscle and sinews. We call eating disorders sick. I'm thinking that kind of obsession rates right up there with them.
    The people that attain it, do it for competition. It's not a percentage they hold for more than a day or two at most. I wouldn't call it a disorder, because it takes NUTRITIONAL correctness to get there, whereas an eating disorder is usually opposite of that.
    You may not accept the look, but there are lots of people who come to watch the competitors that do. Doesn't mean their view is incorrect. It's a subjective opinion of what looks good from one person to another.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i find it hilarious that 5% is the ONLY bf not represented on that chart.:laugh:

5, the forbidden body fat percentage. :wink:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I've been dexa'd at 7% at my lowest. (if they take out brain which is fat, it was 6.3%) At the time, I didn't think I was that lean. I was quite surprised. I maintained in the 8-10% range for about a year before bulking up for more strength gains.

I am now 11-12% and back on the cut in prep for first novice bb comp. No idea what exact % I am aiming for but as lean as possible basically. 16-17 weeks to go.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I am so fat.
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    Try this again...

MaleChart_zps48db1798.jpg

Femalchart_zps0f77cff3.jpg

That worked!!! Man they have to update this forum... should be this hard to embed a photo! :(

according to that chart 15% is good on the male and between 25%-20% on the female.
    but I know people that are lower for asthetic and competition purposes i.e not easily attained or sustained but good on you :)

I am sitting around 19-20% and pretty happy so thanks for that comparative; good guide.
  • errorist
    errorist Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I've been dexa'd at 7% at my lowest. (if they take out brain which is fat, it was 6.3%) ...

Now there's an idea to push the BF% that little bit lower!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I've been dexa'd at 7% at my lowest. (if they take out brain which is fat, it was 6.3%) ...

Now there's an idea to push the BF% that little bit lower!

Decapitated bodies are always the leanest
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    At my lowest I was around 6%. But honestly, I look back now and feel that was stupid and unecessary because I wasn't competing. Your body really does fight you to be that low. Like other posters mentioned, I felt irritable, my sex drive was low, and I was in a fog towards the end of the week - I'd incorporate refeeds on Saturday, but by Wednesday or Thursday I felt drained (should've done two refeeds). I remember being drained at nights, and being very short with people because I'd get pissed at little things.

While you can do it, be prepared to deal with everything that comes along with it, both mentally, physically and health wise. If you are drug free and aren't injecting test and other compunds, you can really wreak havoc on your hormone and testosterone levels. Many natural individuals that don't pay attention to warning signs and go after low single digit body fat levels incorrectly with diet end up requiring hormone replacement therapy and testosterone replacement therapy - sometimes for life.

If you are willing to push your body, that's your choice and right, as it was mine. As was also mentioned, low carb, high protein and moderate fat is ultimately the best way to go. Just be sure not to sacrifice your fat intake. Protein and fat are essential macros. Screwing up and going low fat for an extended period of time will almost guarantee HRT and TRT in your future.