Quality of food?

Options
124»

Replies

• OKfarmgal
    OKfarmgal Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I haven't had soda in three weeks and I took a sip of my husband's this morning and it tasted horrible!! I didn't realize how sugary they were until I went without, even for a short time. My fav now is good old water!! Now I can't go without it. So happy for us all!!
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    So the first ever Sonic opened where I live and everyone was like "you have to go... it's amazing". So I gave it a try and I was very disappointed. First, they don't have any real vegetarian options (they didn't even have salads lol ) so I got a mango slushy that would put anybody in diabetic coma and some overly salted and overly greasy tater tots. I couldn't even eat half before I threw that crap away. I call it crap because there is no way in hell that is food. I haven't eaten any fast food in 4 months and I don't miss it. I guess it's true that the palette does change because I rather eat spinach than a highly greasy substance. It's so sad that a double cheeseburger cost less than an apple. That the food culture is all about making money and not producing a healthier society. One thing that I am real focusing on now is QUALITY of food. Read the labels people.. is what your eating real food?

Some tricks I use... If I can not pronounce the ingredients ... I don't buy it or would have this been available for my grandparents when they were kids?

What are some of your tricks? Do you read labels?
    I'd say that attempting to choose foods your grandparents had available when they were kids is a good safe starting point. I also attempt to choose store bought foods by considering their ingredient lists. I choose things like bread, ketchup, dressings etc. with shorter lists of REAL ingredients. And I also look for how many ways "sugar" appears on the list. Not very popular on here apparently.

So fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, biscuits and gravy, fried pork chops, and with everything battered and fried in lard is your recommendation to the OP?
    At least it's food.

So's the other stuff.

It contains proteins, carbohydrates and fats. All of which the body uses for energy and other metabolic processes. What a foolish, myopic thing to say.
    Not in the slightest. But if all you're looking at to judge food is macros, I'd say that's a tad "myopic".

It's not myopic of my micros have been satisfied for the day and I stay within my caloric goals while still eating what you deemed non 'real food'. I look at the big picture. That would be the opposite of myopic. I like to eat a healthy diet, not get bogged down by the erroneous and harmful thinking that individual foods are healthy or unhealthy.
  • skutnikj
    skutnikj Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am with you. I don't believe in fast food restaurants... They are nasty.... The only thing they are ever good for is a place to pee!

I don't really call them tricks. I am a vegetarian i eat mostly only whole fresh fruits and veggies.... I eat very little processed food.only popcorn, and things like Wasa or caraway crackers....

I love broccoli, kale. I eat prob about 2 bags of spinach a day ! I also love my to have fresh strawberries for dessert

I do read labels but as I said I don't eat much processed food
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    So the first ever Sonic opened where I live and everyone was like "you have to go... it's amazing". So I gave it a try and I was very disappointed. First, they don't have any real vegetarian options (they didn't even have salads lol ) so I got a mango slushy that would put anybody in diabetic coma and some overly salted and overly greasy tater tots. I couldn't even eat half before I threw that crap away. I call it crap because there is no way in hell that is food. I haven't eaten any fast food in 4 months and I don't miss it. I guess it's true that the palette does change because I rather eat spinach than a highly greasy substance. It's so sad that a double cheeseburger cost less than an apple. That the food culture is all about making money and not producing a healthier society. One thing that I am real focusing on now is QUALITY of food. Read the labels people.. is what your eating real food?

Some tricks I use... If I can not pronounce the ingredients ... I don't buy it or would have this been available for my grandparents when they were kids?

What are some of your tricks? Do you read labels?
    I'd say that attempting to choose foods your grandparents had available when they were kids is a good safe starting point. I also attempt to choose store bought foods by considering their ingredient lists. I choose things like bread, ketchup, dressings etc. with shorter lists of REAL ingredients. And I also look for how many ways "sugar" appears on the list. Not very popular on here apparently.

So fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, biscuits and gravy, fried pork chops, and with everything battered and fried in lard is your recommendation to the OP?
    At least it's food.

So's the other stuff.

It contains proteins, carbohydrates and fats. All of which the body uses for energy and other metabolic processes. What a foolish, myopic thing to say.
    Not in the slightest. But if all you're looking at to judge food is macros, I'd say that's a tad "myopic".

It's not myopic of my micros have been satisfied for the day and I stay within my caloric goals while still eating what you deemed non 'real food'. I look at the big picture. That would be the opposite of myopic. I like to eat a healthy diet, not get bogged down by the erroneous and harmful thinking that individual foods are healthy or unhealthy.
    Now you're mentioning micros?
    Earlier you basically suggested ANYTHING goes as long as your carbs/protein/fat line up by whatever means you've determined fits your "goals". Glad you're now saying there's a bit more to a healthy diet than the "big three" macros. (which can be met without really eating much of any nutrient dense foods and with precious little vitamins at all).
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I eat 90% what some people would call "clean" but not out of any idea that chemicals are "bad" or that fast, processed food is "junk" - I just like cooking from scratch with fresh ingredients. If I want a Maccas cheeseburger, I'll damn well have one. Usually 2.

Having said that, I'd happily live on Sonic's chili dogs and cherry limeade. Good thing there are no Sonics in Australia.