Am I a horrible father?

Options
Fat2FitMyDrive
Fat2FitMyDrive Posts: 83 Member
My 7 year old daughter decided yesterday that she wanted to excersize with me. I did just a mild set consisting of jumping jacks, running man's, seal jumping jacks, crunches, bicycles kicks, and I did some burpees which she was intriqued by and did them with me. She mimicked me and had a blast doing it. Today she says her stomach hurts (abs) and my wife is all ticked off at me for letting her do the workout with me. I didn't force her to she just wanted to do it with me. Is this terrible? I don't think so, but I guess I could be wrong.

Replies

• sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    NO!!! It's NOT terrible. Her abs are sore because it's new to her. The more she joins you the less sore it'll be. It's good for kids to start young. IMHO.
  • jeedsjds13
    jeedsjds13 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    NO!!! It's NOT terrible. Her abs are sore because it's new to her. The more she joins you the less sore it'll be. It's good for kids to start young. IMHO.

^

Edit: I wouldn't let wifey squash the ambition the kid has. Let good habits develop early and they stay longer and stronger :)
  • Fat2FitMyDrive
    Options

I agree a million percent and I did not force her to do anything. If she said she wanted to stop at any time that was her choice. I had to force her to stop because she wanted to keep going, Lol.
  • CandiedCarrion
    CandiedCarrion Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    No, in fact, she'll run into this problem at school if she has to take gym class. When I was in elementary school, we started off every day with push ups, jumping jacks, and sit ups. There will also be fitness tests. It's good for her to work out with you.

However, maybe encourage her to go easier next time, and to take more breaks. Have her rest up and if she wants to do it again, fine, but don't let her do the same amount until she builds up some endurance.

Or, if it'll make your wife feel better, suggest she work out differently than you. Find a kid's version of a workout, and she can do hers while you do yours. It'll make her feel included, while at the same time keeping it more age specified.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    The exact opposite of horrible.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a pretty good father to me
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. Exercising with your daughter is so far from being a bad father that I could almost ask if you are serious. But I would caution her next time about just doing maybe half the reps you are doing, if she even wants to do them again. Body weight exercising can be intense, but its good for kids and adults. Being sore just indicates a change in her normal activities. Is she active in other ways? Play sports, bike rides, anything else? Its great if she is.

My niece goes walking/jogging with me. She doesn't get any other exercise, won't even play at the park. She was sore a few days, but kept at it. She loves it now, and it gives us bonding time.
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    Hell no, it's great getting her started early in a healthy lifestyle. I wish I was.
  • karmac0matic
    karmac0matic Posts: 285
    Options
    Seems more like you're a fantastic father for helping her start with good habits early :)
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I am impressed that she stuck with it long enough to actually get sore LOL.

That being said my 5 yr old has the right idea, although we won't mention his technique :happy:, in doing the basic exercises, ie: jumping jacks, push ups, even squats. When he wants to exercise with me I let him be the "trainer" he picks the exercises we do. Some of them turn out to be pretty silly but we have a blast doing it.
  • GingerPeachLass
    GingerPeachLass Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Good for you! If more parents did that, we probably would not have an epidemic of obese children. My 7 year old works out with me, even bought her some 2lb hand weights she can use. I do a few milder sets with her then after about 30 or 40 minutes she is finished and I then go into my hardcore workout, whether it is running or weight lifting. Keep doing what you're doing, but try to do some on her level until she can build up, just as everyone else has said.
  • rach_melb
    rach_melb Posts: 4
    Options
    No! I personally think its fabulous :happy:
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    The exact opposite of horrible.
  • Fat2FitMyDrive
    Options
    I don't think so. Exercising with your daughter is so far from being a bad father that I could almost ask if you are serious. But I would caution her next time about just doing maybe half the reps you are doing, if she even wants to do them again. Body weight exercising can be intense, but its good for kids and adults. Being sore just indicates a change in her normal activities. Is she active in other ways? Play sports, bike rides, anything else? Its great if she is.

My niece goes walking/jogging with me. She doesn't get any other exercise, won't even play at the park. She was sore a few days, but kept at it. She loves it now, and it gives us bonding time.

She's a typical modern day kid. She runs around and plays, she's take tap, ballet, and hip hop dance, she has phys ed once a week at school. For the most part she is somewhat active, but she is typical of modern kids and spends a lot of time on the computer and/or tablet. I think my wife is just bothered because she is complaining about being sore. I can't wait fir tomorrow as we all know the second day is always the best. Thank you for all the kind words and I will definitely have her do less reps if she chooses to do it with me again. She's been asking for the past 6mos to come to the gym with me, so the seed is planted.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    No you aren't, and I bet you anything that she may be mimicking you and Mom especially if you complain of sore muscles after a work out
  • bomftdrum
    bomftdrum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, it makes you a good father. You did something together. She will only be sore for a couple of days and is only sore because she never used those muscles before.
  • tierra85
    tierra85 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    No way!! I think its fantastic and makes you an awesome father! There's no better way to condition a healthy lifestyle than to follow in her fathers footsteps. More parents should be including their children imo

tumblr_n1rm8tg8p51s02vreo1_400.gif
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options

What she said!
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    You are an awesome role model :) I encourage all my kids to work out with me and do lots of walking
  • arainiday1
    arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time answering this because I feel like you are looking for ammo to argue with your wife.....