How often to weigh yourself

Options
13»

Replies

• RawIndian
    RawIndian Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I recommend weighing daily. Why because that is how you collect data about your body. If you log your calories accurately weighing everyday will help you understand the negative impact certain foods has your body.

My discovery was the impact of Salt on my body. I will gain 2 lbs in one day because of a simple meal that was high in Salt but lose that weight in a couple of days.

Besides I found that Cardio tend to decrease my weight faster than Yoga. Again look like Weight is the output of your previous day activities and by logging daily you simply have the data which then leads to a better understanding of the effect of food on your body (weight).

Hope this helps.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday but I pay ZERO attention to the day to day changes in weight. I take a 7 day average of my weight and compare that weekly average to the previous few weeks. That is a much better indicator of progress then trying to compare day to day.

Spot on...as always! I'm an engineer by trade, so I'm used to measuring and logging. So I step on the scale every day. Sometimes just for kicks, I weigh myself before bed and then when I wake up...just to see where I go. It's very normal for me to move up and down by 2lbs a day or more.

Ditto, I'm a scientist and similar to my engineer buddy here I measure every day for data sake (don't let the number affect me emotionally) and log it. Then I take a 7 day moving average to calculate a trend and see my weekly loss rate. I adjust my diet accordingly to stay on top of my goal and keep the loss linear. For the last two months this is what my weight loss has looked like as a result.

Weight_loss.jpg

Data is what will let you stay on top of things, otherwise you are just guessing. Following the data allows me to adjust my diet to stay on target with 1.4 pounds lost per week which is the weight loss I want to hit my target in the desired time.
  • angeliis02
    angeliis02 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day but only log my weight once a week. I'm pretty in tune with my body and weight fluctuations so I don't let the day today changes bother me.
  • fourze
    fourze Posts: 5
    Options
    I get my weight checked once every two weeks, I would more often but the scale at my house is old and not trustworthy so I go to my family doctors who are super friendly and encouraging :)
  • spacecowboy64
    Options
    weekly
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    anytime i feel like it. sometimes it's every day in a row, sometimes i go weeks without weighing myself.
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    After the bathroom and before breakfast or coffee. Naked. Every damn day. I can't track patterns, trends, and fluctuations if I don't see them. I don't get discouraged about natural fluctuations because it's just data and not a value judgement. It seems much more frustrating to me to weigh in once a week and know that I have as much of a chance of hitting an up day as a down day.
  • DeterminedMonica
    Options
    I found weighing myself everyday is discouraging to me. My weight fluctuates daily up and down. For me to have a accurate weigh in, I only weigh in every 2nd Thursday at 11:30am. I also, plan on wearing there same cloths when I weigh in.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Ditto, I'm a scientist and similar to my engineer buddy here I measure every day for data sake (don't let the number affect me emotionally) and log it. Then I take a 7 day moving average to calculate a trend and see my weekly loss rate. I adjust my diet accordingly to stay on top of my goal and keep the loss linear. For the last two months this is what my weight loss has looked like as a result.

Weight_loss.jpg

Data is what will let you stay on top of things, otherwise you are just guessing. Following the data allows me to adjust my diet to stay on target with 1.4 pounds lost per week which is the weight loss I want to hit my target in the desired time.

Awesome tracking! And may I say, very impressive results! Kudos!
  • kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday. However, I only count my weekly official weigh ins on Wednesday mornings. Weighing myself daily keeps me accountable for poor choices, let's me know if I've been eating too much sodium, etc. I also don't let the number bother me during my monthly visitor. If I made poor eating choices the day prior, I let the scale remind me WHY I don't eat that way anymore. I also do the Herbalife program. To date I have lost 72 lbs following the program. Good luck to you!
  • nailsbykatevergara
    Options
    I am resisting the urge to weigh myself everyday. I have become obssessed and I know I ned to stop.

Didn't weigh myself yesterday. Gonna have to wait until next week :)
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Another vote for weighing daily and then tracking the trend using a 7-day average. I use an app called WeightTrend+ which does this for me. I LOVE weighing everyday and it's awesome to see the trend weight go down everyday, even if my daily weight is up and down.

Everyone has their own way of doing things. Some people get really passionate and preachy about "eating clean" or weighing all their food or taking cheat days or eating back calories or what-not. For me, I think that weighing daily and tracking my trend weight is the single most important part of my persistence and continued motivation since I started 7 weeks ago.
  • lorigrocks
    lorigrocks Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning when I wake up...crazy I know but I like to see where I am at with the certain foods I have eaten the day before. I have learned alot by doing that...TOM, too much sodium - water retention, etc. But I only log my weight once a week usually every Saturday morning.
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    once a week, saturday mornings before breaky :3
  • rsoice
    rsoice Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Used to be a once a day/everyday on the scale but recently moved to once a week but am thinking about going back to daily. It's an accountability thing for me.
  • d3m1urge
    d3m1urge Posts: 38
    Options
    once a week