How do you get/stay motivated?

Options
Because I'm having a hard time. I want to change, I need to change, but I can't ever get motivated. I tell myself "Alright, today is the day!" and I end up not doing anything or breaking off the diet.

My commute to work is an hour. I get up at 5am and I'm out of the house at 6-6:30am. I would love to get up and go for a quick jog, but I also love my sleep. I don't get home until 6-7pm and by that time, I basically eat dinner and go to bed because I'm exhausted. On my days off, I basically sleep all day because I'm tired. I WANT to do something but I'm too tired to do anything.

I need to get motivated or start doing something. So my question to you guys is what do YOU do to get going? What can I do to get my butt outta bed and get going?

Replies

• graysmom1229
    Options
    following, I'd like to find the answer to this question as well...
  • CherylLee77
    CherylLee77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You definitely have a challenge with that schedule! I don't work hours like yours, so I can't imagine how hard that must be. For me, getting out early to walk/jog is my favorite part of the day. I call it "me time" and I love chatting with my neighbor if she is with me or talking to God if I am alone. I also think that the more I exercise, the more I want to exercise. I am so darn proud of myself when I reach new milestones or when I have stuck with it all week. I get a thrill seeing the MFP weekly exercise goal achieved a day early! I believe that once you get started and find that time in your schedule that you can commit to working out, it will get easier for you over time. As with most things, getting started is the hardest part.

Also try high-tech motivation like the FitStar Ap or a fitness band or pedometer like Fit Bit Flex.
  • Erana81
    Erana81 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is my first time posting so a little confused as to how it works so here goes. I also have a rough schedule and a 45 minute commute to work and I'm a single mom. My plan is to try and go for walks with my daughter on her bike. It's a slow start but it's something. I used to get up in the morning and do jillian michaels 30 day shred I remember how good I felt so my motivation is getting back that energy.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    my brother developed the habit of walking during lunhtime while listening to books on tape. he did rhat every day for 30 years. he never joined a gym. he has a ski machine at home, but I don't know how often he goes on it. personally, I hate th thing, but whatever. ;-)

i say this only to suggest something that might fit into your schedule. regular walking is supposed to be very effective exersize. My brother has maintained a normal weight in this manner his whole life
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Just remember that losing weight is about being in a calorie deficit. Exercise is awesome for managing stress and making your body healthier - but not necessary to lose weight.

Don't try to change too much at one time. You sound busy. I would suggest that you do one thing per week for a while. Like this week, maybe concentrate on meeting your calorie deficit. Next week, add meeting your macros (protein, fat, carbs). Make a plan every Sunday night to commit to something each week. A healthy change.

Lastly, motivation is a fickle thing. I have been doing this for 2 years and some days it's there - some not. I have discovered that if I do things consistently - sometimes making myself get up and do - that these things become habit. Habits are there when your motivation is no where to be found.

Here's a good link with lots of good info. Good luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Just remember that losing weight is about being in a calorie deficit. Exercise is awesome for managing stress and making your body healthier - but not necessary to lose weight.

Don't try to change too much at one time. You sound busy. I would suggest that you do one thing per week for a while. Like this week, maybe concentrate on meeting your calorie deficit. Next week, add meeting your macros (protein, fat, carbs). Make a plan every Sunday night to commit to something each week. A healthy change.

Lastly, motivation is a fickle thing. I have been doing this for 2 years and some days it's there - some not. I have discovered that if I do things consistently - sometimes making myself get up and do - that these things become habit. Habits are there when your motivation is no where to be found.

Here's a good link with lots of good info. Good luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Just quoting this fantastic advice for extra emphasis!
  • tohellnback
    Options
    I would totally be out walking and jogging before work if I lived closer. The walk during lunch is such a great idea and I've thought about it, but by lunch I'm starving and exhausted, I just want to sit and eat and cherish my 1 hour lunch. My job is a bit...physical, hence me being constantly tired.

But I guess focusing on one goal at a time is a good thing.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I have my goals.
    I see progression towards my goals
    I find the gym to be peaceful for me.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    lets see , my fit bit is connected to my phone, and its on my screen and my lock screen so its there prodding me to be active, ...
    MFP has pretty much supplanted FB for those "slow times" at work , and
    Im VERY competitive, and this is the ONLY thing i want to "lose" at ...
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you don't sound committed to it yet. And that's okay, but until you do, you'll find reasons/excuses/justifications for why you aren't doing what you need to be doing to meet your goals.

There are so many creative ways to sneak exercise in. Walking on lunch, going for a run in the evening, parking your car at the end of a lot and walking to the store, do squats or planks or whatever while you're watching TV. You'll be amazed at what you find time to do once you stop giving yourself an out.
  • recesq
    recesq Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I look in the mirror......and if I really want to super-motivate myself I turn sideways and look in the mirror.
  • SnazzIT
    SnazzIT Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I totally agree...I jogg on the spot when I watch TV or walk back and forth in my house using my Nike+ and easily do 5KMs...I work full-time and a mum with a hubby, and I used to make so many excuses until I realised how stupid I sounded because I also moaned alot about why I was so unmotivated. All I needed, was to stop thinking and just do it, I have now lost 14 Kilos since that day (January). Hope you find your decision making moment too and best of luck.
  • tohellnback
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll definitely keep everything said in mind! :)
    I'm really ready to change and I really need to quit with the dumb excuses.
  • Nurse210cz
    Nurse210cz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Being a single mom and working 12 hour shifts I can totally empathize with where you are coming from. I am tired all the time! The thing that has worked for me was scheduling my workouts on my calendar at the beginning of the week. It is harder to make excuses when you have already penciled it in and know you have the time to do it. Also having small rewards (NOT food related) when I complete all my scheduled workouts makes it something to look forward to!
  • Rancerox
    Rancerox Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Motivation: I keep seeing the scale move down and the clothes fitting better.

I agree with the excellent advice of starting small and working up to it. Doing stuff like pushups every morning; even if it's only 2-3 at first. Eventually they will increase and you will want to do better.

Then you will start to find more time in your day and fit more exercise in during that time. Exercise that you enjoy.

Also, as stated, the calorie deficit is where you will lose weight the most; exercise is for personal fitness, energy, endurance, and aids in losing the weight.

Best of luck to you.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I got motivated by being sick and tired of being sick and tired (and fat). I stay motivated by not wanting to ever go back to what I was.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    what do you do for work?

you say you are exhausted by lunchtime, exhausted by 6pm... have you been to the doctor about it? being tired after a busy day is normal, but exhausted by lunchtime doesnt sound right? whats your diet like? are you getting all the nutrients you need?
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    short answer: you will begin finding a way to make time for your goals if you have figured out strong enough reasons for doing so.

longer response...something I posted for my pals last week....

Each one of you has an amazing story within you...and it is told by the way you choose to live your life. The only difference between those who are pursuing their own amazing stories, and those who are stuck in neutral or reverse, is whether you have taken the time to think about the purpose for pursuing your amazing story. Take me. There is nothing I possess that any of you don't also possess. Just like many of you, I have some physical ailments I have to work around and I have to deal with the ups and downs of life. However, I am pursuing better health and a better me because I want to have more energy for my family, I want to be a better person, and I want to minimize the risks of getting one of life's nasty diseases (among other purposes that I'm aware of). If you know your purpose(s), and your purpose(s) are meaningful enough to you, then you will be able to pursue your amazing story just like I am. I know that you have the ability within you....you just have to choose to activate it. You activate it by figuring out why you want to do something different. (hard truth time)....I mean, if you're content sitting in front of the TV or video games for hours at a time, waiting for one of life's diseases to hit you, and tuning out your family....well, keep doing what you're doing because your life is already as amazing as you want it to be Stay Fierce my Friends!
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I work a lot like you do. I have to wake up at 4:30 am everyday to go to the gym, I am at work by 8am, I leave at 4pm, I get home around 5 and by that time I am pooped. My weekends usually consist of me sleeping in, going to the gym, and coming back home to sleep. You can do it, I promise you. Try hitting the gym for 3 nights every week for about 30 minutes to an hour!
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My job is a bit...physical, hence me being constantly tired.

If that is the case then you are focusing on the wrong thing. You don't need to go jogging as you job already gives you plenty of activity. Just focus on your food, which you can totally control and isn't influenced by your commute. Just use MFP to track your food and focus on that for now. If you want more exercise then your job provides, then do a full body weight routine on one of your days off when you have time.

Good luck.