quick and easy high protien meals/low in cals

Options
2»

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,720 Member
    Options
    People overlook shrimp (prawns) and scallops as a delicious low calorie protein source. If you don't mind that it is processed, crab sticks (surinimi) are a handy portable protein snack and they are only 12-16 calories per stick. Beef jerky as a snack.

I use boiled or poached eggs and no fat greek yoghurt at breakfast.

Any white fish (haddock, cod, etc) is good dredged in a little flour and then pan fried in a scant amount of olive oil. Serve with salsa or chimchurri or salsa verde or anchoiade..

A dead easy chicken salad I like is

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/avocado-chicken-salad-50400000120282/

I skip the tortilla chips. A double portion without the chips is about 350 kcals.
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Hiennn
    Hiennn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Here are some quick protein ideas:

1% cottage cheese or non fat plain greek yogurt; mix it with PB2, fruit, jam, etc.
    frozen chicken tenders
    hardboiled eggs
    quest bars - cookie dough and chocolate peanut butter are my favorites
    smoked salmon (costco - the norweign sliced one)
    Bubba's turkey burger (costco - frozen)
    salmon patty burger (costco -frozen)

I always keep some frozen chicken tenders on hand, they defrost quickly and with a sprinkle of seasonings like Weber's N'Orleans or Garlic herb, it taste great over a big bowl of mixed greens. Pan fry on medium high for 3 mins a side. Try it with Cardini's light caesar vinaigrette. Try the smoked salmon with some avocado and mixed green. I skip the dressing because the salmon has enough flavor. You can easily make your own lean beef/turkey burgers but a box of Bubba's is cheap and quick. I grill 4 patties at a time and eat it throughout the week.

I have roughly the same stats you do and also have a high protein target. I'm 5'2, currently 116lb but when I started 5-6 weeks ago, I was 123lb and ate my body weight in grams of protein. It made me nervous at first too but protein is satiating and helped me keep muscle mass while cutting body fat. Stick with those macros until you hit a plateau, then adjust by cutting calories from fat or carbs first. At first I had a hard time reaching my protein target so I added Hydrobuilder's Vanilla Bean protein but now I eat mostly leaner meats/cheese for protein and feel fuller, longer.
  • MrsGreco
    MrsGreco Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    trainer is telling me I need around 125g. I looked at my history and I am averaging 60-80 daily. I think I can add an easy 20 by drinking a protein shake for breakfast instead of my bfast bar that only provides a measly 2g's. But that still wont get me where I need to be.

for reference, 133 lbs, 5'1,

I usually snack on turkey breast deli meat for my snack meals (10am & 3pm) For breakfast I have Eggs...two whole, two whites.

I'll also grab a cheddar cheese stick or some sugar-free jerky.

Costco has great premade protein shakes. Premier Protein 160cal, 30g Protein, 3g fat, 5g carb, 1g sugar. These are awesome for your snack meals on the go.

Costco also has cooked frozen chicken breast strips...I add 4oz. of those to a salad or add to a healthy frozen dinner.

(You can also get wild caught salmon, cod, tuna, talapia and other fish...individually packaged from (you guessed it...Costco :) )

Hope this helps :)
  • __hannah_
    __hannah_ Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Bump for ideas!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Lean meat added to whatever lowish calorie stuff you like.

Protein fluff.
  • Dragonborn79
    Dragonborn79 Posts: 161
    Options
    Almost daily I eat a cup of Greek yogurt (nonfat, no added sugar, the only ingredient is cultured pasteurized grade A nonfat milk), a scoop of high protein, low sugar (<1g) whey isolate, and a couple of tablespoons of Hersey's Special Dark cocoa. This gives me about 55g protein, 270 calories, and 10g sugar. I try to stay under 20g of sugar, so that's unfortunately half my limit, but that's the best I've come up with so far.
  • jasonrashaad
    jasonrashaad Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Tuna Fish Sandwich (kinda sorta)

1 package Albacore tuna in water
    3 tbsp roasted red pepper hummus
    lemon juice (to taste)
    banana peppers (to taste)
    Arnold's Whole Wheat Sandwich Thin

Vigorously mix tuna and hummus in a bowl until mixture is smooth and paste-like. Add lemon juice and banana peppers, mix thoroughly. Spoon mixture onto split toasted Sandwich thin and eat open-faced. 370 calories, 39g carbs, 14g fat, 30g protein. Also tasty.
  • vimox
    vimox Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Then~ tuna in a lettuce wrap. :]
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    So, I am attempting to add more protein to my diet but I need some ideas. QUICK ideas preferably :) without a whole lot of ingredients.

So far all I got is chicken, baked chicken and more baked chicken, lol

Thanks in advance!!

Grilled chicken breast.
    Egg White omelete
    Lean cuts of steak.
    Protein poweders

A few things I can think of
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    trainer is telling me I need around 125g. I looked at my history and I am averaging 60-80 daily. I think I can add an easy 20 by drinking a protein shake for breakfast instead of my bfast bar that only provides a measly 2g's. But that still wont get me where I need to be.

for reference, 133 lbs, 5'1,

Sounds about right for protein...

If you are looking for snacks.
    greek yogurt
    cottage cheese
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    1 cup plain greek yogurt with 3/4 cup Fiber One chocolate cereal. 200 calories, 21g protein

Sometimes I use Special K Protein cereal which bumps up the protein, but also the calories and it's bland so I drizzle it with honey.
  • sc003ro
    sc003ro Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Salmon sashimi ......tuna out of can ....greek yogurt lime juice for mayo.....chicken on grill .....lean ground turkey .....lean ground beef ...
  • TLContheGulfCoast
    TLContheGulfCoast Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Heat cast iron pan, add ribeye, sear, baste with butter and aromatics, rest steak
    [/quote]

^^ yum!
    :

Cast iron is great for a good sear and carmelized flavor and crunch if blackened ...

my version w/ salmon or other thick cut fish:

I use IQF salmon, MUST thaw it out the night before in the fridge, just toss a pack from the freezer to fridge, so it thaws out slowly, rapid thawing causes the ice crytals to turn froz. fish to mush

heat up small cast iron pan, toss in 1/2 tb evoo, wait til it shimmers, sprinkle in blackening seasons like emeril or paul prudhomme, just check sodium first, or use mrs. dash sodium free,

sizzle on first side 3-4 mins with lid on, flip, another 3-4 min with lid on, cook a little longer if you think it needs, depends on thickness and your tolerance for undercooked/overcooked fish ;-)

top with lemon juice, or use lemon juice to deglaze crusty bits from pan and to make a sauce...

delish and satisfying

not sure protein count, but should be up there.
  • votkuhr
    votkuhr Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Turkey breast + cottage cheese
    Beef - hmm, good.

Tuna spread on toast / crackers / lettuce wrap / whatever
    Canned tuna in water
    Greek yogurt (plain)
    Sweet pickle relish / hotdog relish
    Salt & pepper to taste
    Chopped onions
    Mix them all together and enjoy.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Kidney bean beef chili topped with Greek yogurt is a easy meal for you to make in bulk cheap
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tips guys

was able to hit 100g of protein yesterday just by adding greek yogurt, eggs and a can of tuna for dinner.... gonna have to spend some extra time at the grocery store next time and read these lables to make the most of my meals
  • TLContheGulfCoast
    TLContheGulfCoast Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    tuna fish sandwich with hummus and banana peppers - yum!!!! making this today!