Morbidly Obese and need help now!

Options
13»

Replies

• mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 and started at 268 pounds. You are getting lots of good advice here. When I first started, I didn't know anything about TDEE or other calculators, so I just did 1200 to 1300 calories. I probably could have eaten more. My advice is to take your time, take a relaxed approach to this, it really can help. Log, weigh and measure everything. Eat whatever you want in moderation. You can eat healthier foods for good nutrition, but weight loss is all about the calorie deficit. Also, continue to have a positive mental attitude, so many people give up simply because they over ate for a day or two,(or more) We are all only human and mistakes will be made, the important thing is not to ever give up.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I felt so out of shape when I started in March and I was also similarly intimidated by gyms. But I found beginner exercise classes at the local rec center so you might look there and see what they have. I can't directly compare it to gym classes but it was a lot less intimidating to walk into and there was a wide range of people there,

That said, walking is excellent exercise and since you love it, there's no reason to pursue anything else until/unless you want to.
  • Win0727
    Win0727 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I can't thank you enough! Thanks for taking the time to reply. You have given me a wealth of information. Glad to know I am not alone!
  • marcellarider
    marcellarider Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Win0727 wrote: »
    My name is Win and I am morbidly obese. Seeing those words scare me to the core. Morbidly. I am 5'3" and weigh 238. I work in a bank, so my activity level is limited throughout the day. This is the highest weight I have ever been. To say that I am scared is putting it mildly.

I need to know how to do this? Where to begin, what should my goals be set at, what is a reasonable amount of calories to consume? Does it matter caloric wise that I am obese? I need help. I would love to hear from others that have been here and conquered this.

I have been doing this for about 2 weeks. MFP has me at 1200 calories. I know from reading the forums there is a HUGE debate on 1200 versus eating BMR. I have lost a few pounds but I want to know that I am doing this right. What is best for my body type and long term goals.

I walk 2.1 miles a day on a trail behind our house. This is something that I have started along with restricting calories 2 weeks ago. I can honestly say that I love it. Feels good. So, at this point, exercise is not a problem. I know eventually I am going to have to start with weights, but the idea of walking into our small town gym mortifies me.

I am not looking for a pity party or negative comments. I honestly need help.

Thanks!

• marcellarider
    marcellarider Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I need help too. 43 and 303lbs. Ouch.