My DNA says to do a low-fat diet and cardio.

Options

Replies

• PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Well, my genetics , without some hokey rip-off test, tell me that my tall, skinny *kitten* genes will assure I never have J-LO's butt. Look in the mirror for free! As for the diet...you gotta be kidding me. Just eat normal foods folks! If I followed my genetic back ground I'd eat nothing by flakas(oh wait I can't they contain flour and I have celiac), cabbage rolls(ick), vodka and potatoes.
  • InevitableButterfly
    InevitableButterfly Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Let's play a little game called, "guess what's wrong."

The FDA got involved.

This is a clue.

Because they said a dr needs to administer the test for them to give out health results. The validity of said results was not in question.

Like, results were showing increased risks for certain cancers/diseases and people were taking medical action based on them so the FDA said this test needs to be classified as a medical device and not distributed without a dr.'s consent.

wrong.gif

From a letter to 23andme from the FDA:
    As part of our interactions with you, including more than 14 face-to-face and teleconference meetings, hundreds of email exchanges, and dozens of written communications, we provided you with specific feedback on study protocols and clinical and analytical validation requirements, discussed potential classifications and regulatory pathways (including reasonable submission timelines), provided statistical advice, and discussed potential risk mitigation strategies. As discussed above, FDA is concerned about the public health consequences of inaccurate results from the PGS device; the main purpose of compliance with FDA’s regulatory requirements is to ensure that the tests work.

However, even after these many interactions with 23andMe, we still do not have any assurance that the firm has analytically or clinically validated the PGS for its intended uses, which have expanded from the uses that the firm identified in its submissions. In your letter dated January 9, 2013, you stated that the firm is “completing the additional analytical and clinical validations for the tests that have been submitted” and is “planning extensive labeling studies that will take several months to complete.” Thus, months after you submitted your 510(k)s and more than 5 years after you began marketing, you still had not completed some of the studies and had not even started other studies necessary to support a marketing submission for the PGS. It is now eleven months later, and you have yet to provide FDA with any new information about these tests. You have not worked with us toward de novo classification, did not provide the additional information we requested necessary to complete review of your 510(k)s, and FDA has not received any communication from 23andMe since May. Instead, we have become aware that you have initiated new marketing campaigns, including television commercials that, together with an increasing list of indications, show that you plan to expand the PGS’s uses and consumer base without obtaining marketing authorization from FDA.

LINK: http://www.fda.gov/iceci/enforcementactions/warningletters/2013/ucm376296.htm

Yeah, it's nothing about 'oh, a doctor has to administer this'. It's not approved by the FDA because it is a medical device, and in the United States a medical device must meet requirements outlined by the Federal Food, Drug, & Cosmetic Act which the FDA enforces.
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I´m a Farmacy student and yes, I did those kind of test but in a laboratory in my university. To sum up, the test said that I have predisposition to cardiovascular diseases and diabetes.

Basically, DNA has different positions and SNPs are variations in these positions. If you have a variation (a SNPs) in a particular position you have predisposition to this kind of deseases.

Maybe your results are like mine and you have predisposition to this deseases ( actually, you are insulin resistant). This results just mean that you have to care a little bit more about the food you eat and do some excersise, nothing else.

However, you said that you did the test online (or thats what I understood). This test can´t be done online because they need you DNA. Also, they are really expensive, so I don´t think any web would do them for free.

I hope it helped you. Sorry if I got something wrong. :)

You mail in a sample. They calculate ancestry results and then for ****s and giggles offer you the raw data to download. You can then upload this data to the database thing online. Sorry if I was unclear. Thank you for your answer. I understand that the genetic markers indicate an "increased chance" of or "predisposition" towards certain things and don't mean that you have it. I just wanted to know if there is science to back up the predisposition thing or if its complete crap.

It was 99 dollars for the ancestry test thing that includes the raw data to do with what you will.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    DNA testing to figure out how to diet? No, no I actually had never considered doing that.

I figured I'd just eat less calories than I expended during my daily activities plus exercise a bit for health.
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Low Fat diet will mean higher carbs generally... which is not good if you are insulin resistant...

Unless it is suggesting you go balls to the wall with 100% protein... heh.

Given insulin resistance, you should actually favor a bit more fat and a bit less carbohydrates.

Overall, DNA won't tell you jack about the diet you should go for... unless you have very specific genes that make you DIE from consuming X, Y, or Z for example.

This is absolutely correct. I am insulin resistant and my doctor put me on a high protein/high fat in that I use full fat products not low fat or no fat products and low carb.

There's definitely something amiss with the info you have.
  • victoriavoodoo
    Options
    Low Fat diet will mean higher carbs generally... which is not good if you are insulin resistant...

Unless it is suggesting you go balls to the wall with 100% protein... heh.

Given insulin resistance, you should actually favor a bit more fat and a bit less carbohydrates.

Overall, DNA won't tell you jack about the diet you should go for... unless you have very specific genes that make you DIE from consuming X, Y, or Z for example.
    This is absolutely correct. I am insulin resistant and my doctor put me on a high protein/high fat in that I use full fat products not low fat or no fat products and low carb.

There's definitely something amiss with the info you have.

Most helpful answer in thread. Thank you.

The insulin resistance diagnosis came from my dr and is unrelated to the dna thing I just thought it might be worth mentioning in relation to considering a low-fat diet.
  • popstarwow
    popstarwow Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Oh, you sent a sample! Then the test is valid. And yes, there is science to backup the predisposition, it´s not crap.
    The whole data thing is also true, that´s how we do it in the laboratory. :)
  • InevitableButterfly
    InevitableButterfly Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Oh, you sent a sample! Then the test is valid. And yes, there is science to backup the predisposition, it´s not crap.

ummm-no.gif

For this to be valid in the United States it has to be PROVEN TO BE SAFE AND ACCURATE! This service the OP used is NOT approved because the company has failed to prove its product is safe and accurate.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    That's interesting. My DNA says the same thing. I already knew that about the high intensity exercise, but not about the fat. I might try a low fat diet just out of curiosity, but I don't know, I love fat, so I wouldn't go all that low.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    For this to be valid in the United States it has to be PROVEN TO BE SAFE AND ACCURATE! This service the OP used is NOT approved because the company has failed to prove its product is safe and accurate.

*sigh*
    No ma'am, it just has to get through the testing.

FDA testing guarantees neither safety nor effectiveness.
  • victoriavoodoo
    Options

ummm-no.gif

It is approved for raw DNA files and ancestry. They had to stop offering their health analysis. Which I didn't use. They still offer the rest of it. The website I used for the health information has not been shut down. Which doesn't prove it's right. But nothing is being analyzed by the second website. It's literally a database compiled of genetic markers that are tied by research(with sources for said research provided) and it runs your dan data against the database.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options

ummm-no.gif

It is approved for raw DNA files and ancestry. They had to stop offering their health analysis. Which I didn't use. They still offer the rest of it. The website I used for the health information has not been shut down. Which doesn't prove it's right.

Exactly.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    My DNA makes a really goofy face that does not convince me to listen to him

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSS05Vy8M_9F2V2jWf-FdnK-cHZyqN4BxgjbDICFwkWKPkXmxaQ9Q
  • popstarwow
    Options
    This test is safe and really accurate. Mabye the OP company hasn´t proved or garanteed that it is, I don´t know. I´m just saying that, scientifically, it´s completely proven to be accurate.
  • dbmata
    Options
    My DNA makes a really goofy face that does not convince me to listen to him

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSS05Vy8M_9F2V2jWf-FdnK-cHZyqN4BxgjbDICFwkWKPkXmxaQ9Q

I bet you're lysine dependent.
  • dbmata
    Options
    This test is safe and really accurate. Mabye the OP company hasn´t proved or garanteed that it is, I don´t know. I´m just saying that, scientifically, it´s completely proven to be accurate.

You mean currently shown to be accurate.
  • popstarwow
    Options
    Exactly, they can´t offer health analisis.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

What exactly is really accurate?
    She took results from one test and used another site to interpret the data.

Are you talking about the results of the genes she carries? Or the interpretation of what those genes mean in terms of diet and exercise?
  • popstarwow
    Options
    Yes, haha. :)
  • victoriavoodoo
    Options

What exactly is really accurate?
    She took results from one test and used another site to interpret the data.

Are you talking about the results of the genes she carries? Or the interpretation of what those genes mean in terms of diet and exercise?

I think she means the dna part is accurate. Which it is. Meaning the list of SNP's I was given are really present in my DNA.
    The research on correlations between these and various health things is all from different studies so they may not all be valid but I do have that gene whether or not it really correlates to a weight loss thing.

The 'whether or not' is why I made this thread. I just wanted people's thoughts.