RANT POST: I am NOT too skinny!

Options

Replies

• ninja8tofu
    ninja8tofu Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I had someone go on for about 5 minutes yesterday about how I look ill and they are seriously concerned about my health. Pretty sure it was code talk for ''if you don't have cancer as an excuse you must be anorexic and you need help". I'm 5'6.5" and 145 pounds. puhleeeeeease.

I had someone at my Mom's work just tell me this the other day. I had stopped in to drop something off and her co-worker says, without any prompting or conversation, "Wow, you should stop right now, you are getting too thin." Seriously, I'm 5'4" and 146 lbs.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I get his from some people, mainly friends that I made who never new me at less than 230 lbs (I'm 170 now). People who either knew me when I was in my twenties, or who just met me don't see a problem.

I generally tell them that I eat more now to maintain my weight at 170 than I used to when I was 250, and that does the trick.
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    and neither am i!:angry:
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Since you aren't underweight the only thing I can assume is that it's code language for either "stop getting hotter" or "I am the sort of person that reflects on my own failure when someone else has success rather than being inspired by it"

Yup, this. ^^
  • VampireDiariesxo
    Options
    Just my 2 cents: I had people telling me I was getting too skinny. I'm 5'4" and back then I was 120 lbs. (I had dropped down from 200 lbs) I used to take progress pictures (and still do) and even without the progress pictures I always used to think why other people couldn't see the excess flab that I could see when I looked in the mirror. I mean I knew I had gotten slimmer but I didn't think my body was ideal. I've gained 30 lbs since then and I'm actually glad I did as I've had a look at those pictures from when I was 120 lbs and tbh I looked good, in fact my body was hot. I think looking at it now when I'm heavier has made me see what other people were seeing. At the moment I'm 150 lbs but I'm one of those people that never look their weight so I look like I'm lighter. I don't have a goal weight anymore and no longer focus on that as I lift heavy and know a small fraction of those 30 lbs gained is muscle. I'd be happy at 130 - 140 lbs with decent muscle definition. Back then I had an unhealthy weight obsession with wanting to get down to 110 lbs. Gaining weight has made me take a step back and realise that maybe other people were right. Yes some people make comments because they're jealous, but sometimes it may be because they care and are just worried. If you think about it, how we see ourselves is different to how others see us. I now know that if I was to get down to about 130 lbs, I'd look better than how I was at 120 lbs. My mum is still worried about me but now it's more to do with the misconception that I'm suddenly going to grow big bulky muscles from weightlifting lol.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I just need to vent a little. I am soooooo DAMN tired of ppl telling me I need to stop working out because I am already skinny. I am 176 lbs and 6 feet tall. It took me so long to be OK with myself and my "skinny" size when my entire family was big. There was something always wrong with me because I can't gain or keep weight on. These people are sounding like I am a size 0. I went from a size 12 to almost an 8. I am loving the fact that I see abs coming out, I see my core and arms are stronger. My calf is not jiggly and my Butt... my butt is uplifted. WHAT does these ppl want from me!. I am doing this for me not for them......... Grrrrrrr! (continuing rant offline)

Part of the problem is your height. Every time I tell someone who refers to me as "really skinny" that I'm 145lbs (light for me) they say "No way" every time! Being taller (I'm only 5'9") apparently makes you look really thin. IDK why. Longer arms and legs maybe?
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Sometimes skinny is a compliment...sometimes it is an insult. Either way, you don't sound like you are at an unhealthy weight or size to me.

My grandmother told me once to stop losing weight, b/c it was making my "face look weird!" I told her that that's just what my face looks like! Oh well, what can you do?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    It's difficult in our society for people to see other people's success and be happy about it. Snarky becomes a way of life. The people with nicer clothes and cars and accessories become a target for snarky comments, and so do those who appear to be successful with weight loss and fitness when everyone else is not. That's really the heart of it, in American society.
    This becomes a problem when people speak without thinking. making comments about someone becoming too thin without knowing why can lead a person to foot-in-mouth syndrome. I'm struggling a bit to keep my weight at a healthy level myself recently because my cancer has made it difficult for me to eat many of the foods that will help me maintain my weight. Recent stress caused me to lose a few pounds and I haven't been able to gain them back. I've had a few people make comments within earshot about how skinny I am and how I should "go eat a cheeseburger" and that type of thing. I don't say anything but I can imagine the people who are judging simply based on appearance would feel bad if they knew it was cancer making me thin.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    When I was in my twenties and healthy I was EXTREMELY lean and folks used to say that stuff to me all the time. I had a black belt in TaeKwonDo, abs that could stop a semi truck, jumped out of planes on weekends and mountain biked up 25 mile mountains in the hardest gear...

I thought they were funny, sitting there eating their doughnuts and giving me advice about fitness. I tried not to laugh in their face but sometimes it was hard to avoid.
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm still losing weight, and already get told I'm too skinny.. I've just started to take it as a compliment because it means i look different :D and after all skinny is attractive in my opinion.
  • forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I just need to vent a little. I am soooooo DAMN tired of ppl telling me I need to stop working out because I am already skinny. I am 176 lbs and 6 feet tall. It took me so long to be OK with myself and my "skinny" size when my entire family was big. There was something always wrong with me because I can't gain or keep weight on. These people are sounding like I am a size 0. I went from a size 12 to almost an 8. I am loving the fact that I see abs coming out, I see my core and arms are stronger. My calf is not jiggly and my Butt... my butt is uplifted. WHAT does these ppl want from me!. I am doing this for me not for them......... Grrrrrrr! (continuing rant offline)

Part of the problem is your height. Every time I tell someone who refers to me as "really skinny" that I'm 145lbs (light for me) they say "No way" every time! Being taller (I'm only 5'9") apparently makes you look really thin. IDK why. Longer arms and legs maybe?

This is true, I think. I've found that my tall friends always look skinnier than my short friends with roughly the same BMI/body fat %.

OP, maybe tell them you're exercising because you like it, not because you want to be skinnier.
  • marilandica
    marilandica Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm tired of ignoring it, considering motives, yada yada yada. It's typically the same people over and over. You know what? It's just rude and I swear the next time one of these people say this to me AGAIN, this is going to be my response.

I know you mean well, but, honestly, it's rude to tell me to eat more or to stop losing or whatever. I have no eating disorders and I'm well within a healthy weight range. In fact, I'm healthier than I've ever been in my adult life, so thanks for the concern but please avoid trying to be my dietician. You didn't tell me what to eat when I was obese and you shouldn't tell me what to eat now that I'm a healthy weight.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    If you are doing this for you, then anyone else's input is pretty irrelevant.
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options

OK RANT over back to doing what makes you happy.
  • strengthnsense
    Options
    I completely agree. Now I just tell people to leave me alone and worry about themselves. I am 5'8" and I weigh 164lbs. I have lost almost 40 lbs in about 9 months. Fairly healthy rate I believe. Everyone is like "o you are too skinny" or "are you going to keep losing weight?" how is that any of their business? i am 164lbs but i am positive i am still stronger than most guys who weigh more than me. I rarely comment on other peoples bodys unless its something like "you look great!" i never say "damn you look fat/skinny." Calling someone skinny or fat is just rude.
  • gangsterfurious
    Options
    Forget those people. I have some people who tell me I look "fine" and that I don't need to "lose" weight. Whatever, I'm not going to quit until I have the body I'm happy with.
  • RenFairFan
    RenFairFan Posts: 3
    Options
    "Person who spends time trying to please others will succeed only in making self sad." -- Snoopy
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents: I had people telling me I was getting too skinny. I'm 5'4" and back then I was 120 lbs. (I had dropped down from 200 lbs) I used to take progress pictures (and still do) and even without the progress pictures I always used to think why other people couldn't see the excess flab that I could see when I looked in the mirror. I mean I knew I had gotten slimmer but I didn't think my body was ideal. I've gained 30 lbs since then and I'm actually glad I did as I've had a look at those pictures from when I was 120 lbs and tbh I looked good, in fact my body was hot. I think looking at it now when I'm heavier has made me see what other people were seeing. At the moment I'm 150 lbs but I'm one of those people that never look their weight so I look like I'm lighter. I don't have a goal weight anymore and no longer focus on that as I lift heavy and know a small fraction of those 30 lbs gained is muscle. I'd be happy at 130 - 140 lbs with decent muscle definition. Back then I had an unhealthy weight obsession with wanting to get down to 110 lbs. Gaining weight has made me take a step back and realise that maybe other people were right. Yes some people make comments because they're jealous, but sometimes it may be because they care and are just worried. If you think about it, how we see ourselves is different to how others see us. I now know that if I was to get down to about 130 lbs, I'd look better than how I was at 120 lbs. My mum is still worried about me but now it's more to do with the misconception that I'm suddenly going to grow big bulky muscles from weightlifting lol.

My mom....if I told her I was lifting, she'd say sonething stupid like "are you a lesbian?" My mom says stupid stuff just to say it. There is no thinking process there.
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I understand you. I usually ignore those comments, but if they insist commenting, I had told a person that I will stop loosing weight when tells me that she had lost her first five pounds.
  • gymbunny1962
    gymbunny1962 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    When I was 220lbs, nobody ever told me I was fat or overweight - that would be rude! But now I'm 150 lbs (I'm 5' 8''), people feel they can comment freely! At 52, I'm in the best shape I've ever been in and proud of what I've achieved. Ignore the comments and enjoy your success.