Question for BIG CALVED women...

Options
I have always had pretty big calves but after a huge weight gain back in 2008 they obviously grew a LOT more. I've been told since losing 50 lbs my legs have been looking a lot nicer but they are still so big to me. My calf measures about 17.5 inches around! Do any of you have any successful stories on thinning out your calves and any before and after photos??

Replies

• knt6742
    knt6742 Posts: 36
    Options
    I wish! I lost 30 lbs (140 to 110) and everything shrunk except for my calves. 14.25 inches the entire time.
  • tatecass
    tatecass Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My right is 18.5 and my left is 19.5, they have definitely gotten smaller, I believe I've lost an inch and a half off of each. I too would like to see before and after of people with big calves that now have skinny calves! :)
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I've gained 35 but my calves have stayed basically the same (11 pounds down currently). Even at my lowest weight I have always had large calves because of all the walking I do. 15.5 currently and not likely to go down soon. I actually gained half an inch on them when I started running. 15.5 inches of solid muscle is cool with me, but it makes boots/skinny jeans a trial to get into! lol
  • Amethyst125
    Amethyst125 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Yes I have big calves and they did get smaller when I lost weight. When I had a trainer he recommended certain exercises and advised not to add incline to the treadmill because I tend to "bulk up". But ultimately he said do you want muscular legs and be thin or smaller legs and be larger. I choose the latter and I am always trying to improve.
    Hang in there with your progress you will be so proud of yourself. Enjoy the transformation!!
  • ashleyab86
    ashleyab86 Posts: 3
    Options
    I always wondered this too! Mine are 19"(R) and 20'(L). I hope they get a bit smaller, but mine are definitely very muscular. I would think that when you lose weight your legs don't have as much strain so they won't be working as hard to hold you up. So maybe you'll lose some of the muscle. If your legs aren't particularly muscular I'm sure you'd lose fat in them.
  • Tillyecl1
    Tillyecl1 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I've always had big, muscly calves from playing a lot of football when I was younger. There is no way I will ever have slim legs so I decided to work with what I've got and took up cycling :-)
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I have gone from 17 inch calves to 15.25 in one year after losing nearly 50 pounds (I'm only 5'0). While I wish it would be more given the rate at which I've lost inches elsewhere, all I really can do is keep losing fat and hope more inches come off of my calves. (which have always been disproportionately large in my opinion, but such is my lot in life!)
  • shankasaurus
    shankasaurus Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The best thing about big calves is that they make your ankles look tiny! I think curvy legs are awesome and we should all wear shorts this summer.

I think sometimes we get down on ourselves about things we cannot control and this is one of those. We can all be healthier but our legs will always be the type to have big calves. Either we embrace it or we fight against it.

Love the body you've got ladies!

*Yes to cycling! Yes to seeing it as a positive thing! Strong legs are for dancing and running and taking our bodies from point A to point B.*
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    My calves were over 18" when I started, they are currently at 16". They are never going to be tiny, but they are going down with the rest of my body.
  • Iceberg_Simpson
    Iceberg_Simpson Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    At my highest weight, my calves were 20".

They are now 17.5" and actual muscle as opposed to fat covered.

ETA: This really depends on how much fat you have on your legs vs your actual calf muscle size.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Lol nope. Yeah, they're obviously smaller, and honestly even if I can still grab a certain amount of fat on the back, they look very strong and muscular. No way to make them look slim and thin... but considering that even my ankle looks so wide I guess it's just the way my body is meant to be.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Started at 16.5 inches, now at 15 inches.
    My calves are VERY SLOWLY leaning out. This took me about two years.

21525558.png
  • eventerchick80
    eventerchick80 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have super huge calves as well, always have and as such they haven't gone down. I had to have riding boots tweaked but can generally find a pair of boots at Lane Bryant. Just learn to go with what you've got. :) I'm all about the elliptical, the stairs, and LEG DAY! I love leg day. :)
  • ybee1991
    ybee1991 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I don't know inches or anything, but i've grown to love my big calves and big legs in general. No matter what I weigh, they're still kinda big. But I can cycle 18 miles, no problem! :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, calves are very genetic. Some have calves, others have bulls.
  • wissabear
    wissabear Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My calves have always been large from playing sports when I was younger. Its just part of what makes me me :) They dont get any smaller when I lose weight.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I've lost 28kg. My calves have gone from 43cm to 37cm. Like my thighs / quads, they always were and still are very muscular. That will never change, but I'm Ok with that. I may lose another cm or so, but definitely not much more as I am close to my goal. They definitely fit better into the scheme of things now as I am only 5'1''.
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Despite weight I've always had large calves. Including when I was 57 kilos 13-15. That might be why I was a great sprinter... Not as much as I'm heavier. Working on it. Halfway there.
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    18.5 inch claves here...they totally look like my DAD's! Never can wear cool tall boots.
    Nope...even when I was a size 8 (thin for me) I had huge calves. Muscle is muscle. But I'd rather have curvy calves that sticks!!!
    The only time I really have "issue" with them is when I see a pair of tall boots that I really wish I could wear...
  • carblover79
    carblover79 Posts: 29
    Options
    Wow. I have always thought I had big calves, but never measured until now! 17.5 on both. I have found that being more active and losing the 25 pounds that I have, it is easier to fit into boots, but I will never do skinny jeans.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!