One free night a year

Options

Replies

• George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    this thread is interesting...it seems to be fairly common to think that having an open marriage means something is wrong with the marriage and/or there is no love there.

there are PLENNNNTY of couples that happily and successfully engage in open relationships, swapping, additional partners, and a myriad of other activities considered nontraditional.

the fact that this is so taboo and equates to not loving the other person is just archaic.

Marriage is between two people. Not three, not four. TWO.

If an individual cannot be/does not want to be with one person, there is absolutely no point in getting married.

Marriage is exactly what the people involved decide it is. The people in a marriage ascribe value to it. There are people who stay together their whole lives, some in a monogamous relationship without ever going through the ceremony, whether civil or religious, that many of us use to declare the state of marriage. Their relationships can be just as valid, sacred, whatever as one that follows the traditional path. In the same way, a ceremony doesn't always mean anything. Brittany Spears was married and divorced in 24 hours. It's illogical to assume that because her "marriage" fits the construct of your definition, it is somehow more sacred or valid than a union with no ceremony, a union between two or more men and/or women, or any other combination of consenting adults. Sorry kiddo....you don't get to define love for other people. Nobody does...assuming that it doesn't involve force or coercion. In that case, the courts are the authority. Otherwise it's none of your, nor anyone else's business.
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'm in, but not for sex or time with another person. I just want to be alone all day. Eat food off my belly and watch daytime tv and infomercials without judgement.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I'm in, but not for sex or time with another person. I just want to be alone all day. Eat food off my belly and watch daytime tv and infomercials without judgement.

That sounds like a perfect existence :drinker:
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Would this be considered a cheat meal or a cheat day?

Both
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Never. And I know he would say the same. My opinion is that if you feel you need to be with someone else, ever, then your marriage has serious problems and is probably already over.

I don't judge others' relationships though, so whatever works for them.

^This is EXACTLY what I was going to say.
  • jayce54321
    jayce54321 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'd probably spend it with my wife.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    If even such a thought enters my husbands mind, he would be in very very big trouble! Oh hell to the NO!
  • Mitzki5
    Mitzki5 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Not for me.....I am selfish and want my wife all to myself!
  • futurejedi
    futurejedi Posts: 111
    Options
    So they live a swinger life style, no big deal. I know plenty of swingers and they are happily married
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    this thread is interesting...it seems to be fairly common to think that having an open marriage means something is wrong with the marriage and/or there is no love there.

there are PLENNNNTY of couples that happily and successfully engage in open relationships, swapping, additional partners, and a myriad of other activities considered nontraditional.

the fact that this is so taboo and equates to not loving the other person is just archaic.

If an individual cannot be/does not want to be with one person, there is absolutely no point in getting married.

This concept of an open marriage is obviously too adult for you to handle

Um no. I just believe in traditional marriages.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Andre Kirilenko, like a lot of pro athletes, has tens of woman throw themselves at him. I would bet he gets more than his one night a year.

I have a cousin that is a pro athlete and I have been out with him many times. As soon as women find out who he is they openly offer him NSA sex. I'm talking about LOTS of women throwing themselves at him. So much temptation...!!

He is only saying that as an excuse for if he gets caught.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Marriage is exactly what the people involved decide it is. The people in a marriage ascribe value to it. There are people who stay together their whole lives, some in a monogamous relationship without ever going through the ceremony, whether civil or religious, that many of us use to declare the state of marriage. Their relationships can be just as valid, sacred, whatever as one that follows the traditional path. In the same way, a ceremony doesn't always mean anything. Brittany Spears was married and divorced in 24 hours. It's illogical to assume that because her "marriage" fits the construct of your definition, it is somehow more sacred or valid than a union with no ceremony, a union between two or more men and/or women, or any other combination of consenting adults. <b>Sorry kiddo....you don't get to define love for other people.<b> Nobody does...assuming that it doesn't involve force or coercion. In that case, the courts are the authority. Otherwise it's none of your, nor anyone else's business.

First of all, don't call me kiddo. I'm an adult.

Second, marriage doesn't always equal love. And no where did I say two people had to be married in order for their relationship to hold value.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options

Marriage is exactly what the people involved decide it is. The people in a marriage ascribe value to it. There are people who stay together their whole lives, some in a monogamous relationship without ever going through the ceremony, whether civil or religious, that many of us use to declare the state of marriage. Their relationships can be just as valid, sacred, whatever as one that follows the traditional path. In the same way, a ceremony doesn't always mean anything. Brittany Spears was married and divorced in 24 hours. It's illogical to assume that because her "marriage" fits the construct of your definition, it is somehow more sacred or valid than a union with no ceremony, a union between two or more men and/or women, or any other combination of consenting adults. <b>Sorry kiddo....you don't get to define love for other people.<b> Nobody does...assuming that it doesn't involve force or coercion. In that case, the courts are the authority. Otherwise it's none of your, nor anyone else's business.

Second, marriage doesn't always equal love. And no where did I say two people had to be married in order for their relationship to hold value.

639.gif
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Not a chance.
  • L4manski
    L4manski Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Not for me. The idea of my wife coming home and kissing me with the same mouth she kissed or did other things to someone with makes me ill...
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    nope.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I think my (almost ex) husband did this but forgot to ask for the pass.

What a dummy. Well, he lost a lot, didn't he? Nice muskles grrl!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

ADULT.gif
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    The only way I could see this working is if you didn't tell your partner when your "free night" happens. That way you don't have the guilt or the pressure of one day to pick someone to do in one day.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Different STROKES for different folks, right?