Online Stalking!

Options
wriglucy
wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
Online personal info posting has reached a new level of creepy: go to spokeo.com. It's a new online USA phone book w/ everything from pics you've posted on FB or the web, your approx credit score, home value, photos of your home, income, age!

I searched for myself, and found my parents names and ages, my house with a picture from it...it was scary!

Remove yourself by searching your name, copy the URL of your page, click on "see it all" (where they prompt you to pay...but don't do that) then go to the bottom right corner of the page and click on the Privacy button to remove yourself.

You'll have to paste the URL into the space, and your email address. Then, it emails you with a link to click to "remove" yourself. I did it, and then searched for myself again, and it was gone.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up! I think it's scary! And I think that it's creepy people can get all this info about you for only like $2 a month.

(I forgot to see if this was allowed to post, so...sorry if it's not. But I think it's information people need to protect themselves.)

Replies

• soakedinbleach
    Options
    Totally creepy. I removed myself, husband, and father. Thing is, most (if not all) of that data is in the public domain somewhere and another site is bound to pop up with the same pretenses. Ugh.
  • wriglucy
    Options
    Yeah....hopefully though, we can find enough of the places and remove ourselves to protect ourselves some more. It's creepy that anyone can get that info...and so easily!
  • Murphy3
    Murphy3 Posts: 32
    Options
    Thanks!! I removed myself.
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    So wrong.
  • tarapin
    tarapin Posts: 169
    Options
    Good looking out....thank you!!!
  • PokenStick
    Options
    Anyone with enough search engine skills can find the same info.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I searched (even though I live in Canada) and there's someone with my name that lives in Burbank California...I hope she deletes her name!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    OMG I can even see the front of her house!!! Nice house, totally creepy though
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    creeper...
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    like all the information about me is wrong..is says im in my 30's!!!!and aprently im married!!! i never got the memo, who am i married to? lmao, nothing came up with my name, wich i use for everything, i had to use my email adress...id be easier just to look me up on facebook, alot more accurate also lol
  • RDTaylor13
    Options
    Wooo hoooo. I searched for me. and found nothing. either I'm not important enough, or it's only for Americans. either way, I'm happy.
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I had gone on about a year or so ago and deleted my info. What I also found very scary was that it listed how many children I had an the age brackets they fell into ... totally freaked me out that someone could get all of that info.
  • Procrastinator
    Options
    Oh my gosh, it tells you everything! Kinda freaky aye

Do they have this for Australia too?
  • materstater
    materstater Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • wriglucy
    Options
    Just wanted to let everyone know too, that my husband did some searching, and he said that this site seems to remove peoples profiles, but then later will put them back up. You may want to check back in the future as well.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Anyone with enough search engine skills can find the same info.

Ditto. And if someone really wanted to stalk you they would pay the $20 bucks to get background info from online.

I can tell from your profile here your 28, from Tallahasse FL, have 2 dogs, married. All i have to do is befriend you to get your name eventually then I could find you on any search engine. The internet is not a secure place. MFP is public. I can pull your username up on google.
  • Sunny_Skies
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I removed two people I knew...I cannot believe these people actually posted other peoples' personal information like that! That website needs to be shut down!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Yeah, try removing the aerial view of your address on zillow.com.
  • TXmama
    TXmama Posts: 37
    Options
    OMG, thank you for posting this. I removed TWO instances of myself plus one of my husband. There is a limit to how many you can remove with a single email address apparently... :(
  • brittlynne3579
    brittlynne3579 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Just removed..thank you so much!