Question for BIG CALVED women...

Options

Replies

• melancholyjen
    melancholyjen Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Genetically, I have big calves and years of soccer and running have only made them stronger and bigger. If I stopped running, they'd get a little smaller, maybe a half inch, but that's it. I'm a size 4s, (5'2) so it can be difficult to find jeans that fit my 15.5 inch calves. I've learned to embrace my man calves, because they ain't going anywhere. :o)
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I've always had muscular calves, with the weight gain they just lost definition and looked "big"...Running has slimmed them down and improved their appearance, that coupled with strength training.
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have big calves and thick ankles (ie, cankles), and had them, to a marginally lesser degree, at 105 pounds too. I've learned to live with them.

But thanks for the tip about Lane Bryant, because I can't get boots that fit.
  • S3r3knitty
    S3r3knitty Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am at a normal weight but my calves are 15 (L) and 15.5 (R). I never had "thin" legs as I seem to carry most of my fat in my hips and legs first. However, I loved the improved look they got with running and strength training and I am starting to accept them they way they are. Hard to fight genetics anyway :tongue:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, calves are very genetic. Some have calves, others have bulls.

trooth.
  • Timmerk77
    Timmerk77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have big calves also and haven't been able to wear tall boots. I have had success with slimming them down, and I know that you don't want to hear this, but I did it with running. I signed up for a half marathon and spent 6 months training with a beginners running group. It was a great experience and at the end I found I could totally fit into tall boots. Good luck!
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Mine went from 18.5 to 15.5 but i think 15.5 is still big. see profile pic :smile:
  • OnTheGround
    OnTheGround Posts: 78
    Options
    I don't have photos, sorry, but when I was fat obviously my calves were fat too. After losing and getting out of the "obese" range, my calves were down enough to fit into regular boots I found out in stores. I don't know the measurement, but I'm just happy I fit into regular stuff now.
  • NoLimitFemme
    NoLimitFemme Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have 15 inch calves and I'm 5'4. I attribute that to an inclined ellipitical, stairmaster, Jacobs ladder (modern torture), zumba, and being a cheerleader as a teenager. We had to work out our legs a lot and it helped to build a base for my muscles (that's why I refer to my legs as "cheerleader legs"). I can only wear knee/thigh high boots if they have some elastic built into them.

calfmuscles_zpsaf52d381.jpg
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sadly, losing weight doesn't help me too much. For me, even when I was 155lbs (5'5"), and a size 8/10 in pants, I don't know my exact calf measurement at that point but I couldn't even buy "wide calf" boots off the shelf :sad: . At that point I didn't even bother, but right now at 50lbs heavier than that and a size 14/16 my calves are 19.5in each and I finally gave in and special ordered a pair of boots :grumble: . Some of it is just genetic and how you carry weight; I just happen to carry weight EVERYWHERE (I have super huge upper arms, too, and let's not even talk about my booty :laugh: ). Other people will lose a ton of inches in their calves. No way to know other than by getting there :flowerforyou: .
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Check my profile photo...
    I've had huge calves for my entire life - it's in my genes (could be the same with yours).
    I've finally learned to embrace them. 93 pounds later, rather than being flabby, they're more defined... and I like that.
  • djfldjfl
    djfldjfl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm a big calved guy fwiw. I had big calves when I was in good shape, slightly bigger but less defined ones when I gained 100 pounds, and now they're more defined again. Still really big though. Every body is different and I've never been concerned with it. I can out calf-lift anybody! :)
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Didn't read the entire thread so somebody may have mentioned already ... think WATER too! Water retention is very prevalent in lower legs and often can make them appear larger.

Be sure you're drinking plenty and flushing, flushing, flushing!
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I've always had big calves! Even when I was a skinny teenager I had trouble finding any kind of boots to fit. I've always had to buy ankle boots. My daughter and son are the same. My son's calves are amazing to behold (if I do say so myself)! It's our genetic make up to be muscular! The good thing about being muscular was even at my highest weight people thought I weighed less than I did.
  • lma959
    lma959 Posts: 1
    Options
    Be proud of those calves! They look strong and healthy!
  • caseys29
    caseys29 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have huge calves, too. They started at 21.5 inches and after losing 60 pounds they're at 20 inches. I've lost more inches off my arms than my calves. They're fairly firm, but I know there's still a lot of fat on there that I wish I could lose! Maybe in another 60 pounds.
  • maricelbearicel
    maricelbearicel Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have had big calves since grade school and unfortunately, they do not just go away. I just say embrace them!
  • JenTekywa
    JenTekywa Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm part of the BCC (Big Calves Crew). I got them from my dad but I don't even think he's is as big as mine. Mine measure around 16.5"(R) and 17"(L) or vice versa :ohwell:

Learning to live with them as I can't do anything about it - I notice that when I have lost weight they lean out a little but not enough to not be noticeable if I wear something above the knee.
  • ready2try
    ready2try Posts: 1
    Options
    There really isn't anything you can do to make your calves smaller. I gave up cardio for almost 2 years and they only got slightly smaller. Not worth it really.

I'm tired of feeling shame over them. I only wore capris in the summer for years but no more. There is nothing wrong with my calves - they're bigger around than average. It's muscle. I have ankles, not cankles, and my large calves balance out my large feet :-)
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I've lost 50 lbs overall from my highest weight and I can now wear some knee-high boots available in stores :laugh: While this isn't a great accomplishment, I can say that they DO go down as you lose weight, but if you have very shapely legs to begin with you'll probably always have shapely calves!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!