WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2014

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Yesterday we bought an electric George Forman grill to use outdoors. Our propane grill was having problems and we decided to try something different. We used if for the first time today. Because it was windy, we used it in the kitchen and fixed Morningstar Farms pizza burgers and buns and they turned out great. We’re going to practice with a lot of different things before we try it on company.

:flowerforyou: Michele, I am reading a series of fun books by JoAnn Fluke about a woman who has a cookie shop. She is always trying out a new cookie recipe and the book has all the recipes she mentions. I think about you when I’m reading the books because you are always trying a new dessert recipe with interesting ingredients. The big difference is that the woman in the book uses a lot of butter, sugar, and cream cheese.:laugh:

:heart: :heart: Robin, sending more hugs to Bodi and Ritter and you.

:flowerforyou: We took a nap this afternoon because we stayed up late to watch the whole DWTS show instead of watching it on DVR today and we plan to stay up and watch the whole show tonight. I was disappointed at last night’s elimination but my two favorites are among the finalists.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • carolann0117
    Options
    I did it! Went to the gym!
    30 minutes on treadmill
    10 minutes bike
    6 minutes on rowing machine

It felt GREAT!!

Carolann
    Upland, CA
  • schafmom
    schafmom Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hello from Southern Alberta! My name is Debbie and I'm 52 and loving it. Just found your group and read a few blogs....great stuff! I've been on this site for a few months now and am just starting to see some movement on the scale (sometimes in the upwards direction) but I'm told to expect some weight gain as I develop muscle. I love walking and especially enjoy the Leslie Sonsone DVDs her 4 and 5 mile work outs are wonderful. would love to be a part of this fun and vibrant group so how do I join?
    Debbie
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :bigsmile: Hi Debbie,
    This is a very informal community of supportive and encouraging women.....you joined just by posting. Come back every day and read the posts, then join the conversation.....tell us more about yourself, respond to something that someone said, ask a question. or answer someone else's question. I had never been involved in an online forum before MFP and now I post almost every day.:bigsmile:
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Alison – that sounds a great treat for your DGD

Debbie from S. Alberta and Cowleyl – you just joined! Come visit and post!

Carolann – good job

Robin – thinking of you, bodi and Ritter

JB – thinking of you and Mariah

Barbie – I read those books by JoAnn Fluke, and wanted to cook everything! They were fun. :wink:

Interesting on the graduations – in the SF bay area there are still graduations for pre-school and Kinder. But for the promotion from 5th grade to Middle school and from middle to high school they just call it promotion – no caps/gowns – just a low key presentation for families:smile: and then in high school (and of course at our local colleges) the full on graduation.:bigsmile: No middle school prom – there is an end of school dance, but at my closest middle school it is a sox hop. I really like the KISS keep it super simple idea….

Another day of gardening for me… and tomorrow is a garden tour to Napa – I am not working enough this week – but hours of digging really burns calories – I have not eaten them all back; but it is a treat to not even look, just KNOW I have the calories for a glass of wine:drinker: ( I of course logged it all).

Today I had a late lunch with a friend and she wanted to try the Black Bear Diner – I said ok before I had looked at the menu on line..:grumble: it is a chain – not sure where all it is – but OMG the calorie counts are crazy high!!!! :huh: Most everything over 1,000 calories and a huge percentage over 2,000! And that was just a single serving thing… and on their version of a “light” menu section – that stuff was still 600-700 calories just more than I spend on lunch – So after reading everything I ended up with ½ a ham sandwich with a side salad dressing on the side. That was 350 and that was fine; there was one other thing in the 400 range and then over the moon. The sandwich was fine, but really hate to pay restaurant prices for a piece of bread with lunch meat. Man am I being whiny!!! Sorry I’ll be avoiding this place. :grumble:

Off to get some sleep!
    Kim in N. Cal.
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies!:bigsmile:
    Glad to read most everyone is doing well and the weather is improving.
    Sticking to mfp, eating well and drinking water. The water weight is gone, thank goodness. Have increased my workouts, doing morning and evening so hoping to see some good results soon.
    Great to read about sons and daughters making their parents proud :bigsmile:
    Its extremely hot in Mumbai now, unlike previous years....... lots of people falling ill. I perspire buckets and feel drained, so lots of water to prevent dehydration.
    Climate change is no longer a theory....IT is here!
    Best wishes to all
    Anamika from Mumbai
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Need computer help again. As all of you probably painfully know, we are looking for this vacation home. I don't know where my daughter finds all these rental agencies but she does. One of my favorites is HomeAway.com. With that I can set up a favorites list and view it in a complete listing form. Add notes as to what the total price is that the owner has quoted me, what I like about it, distance form home, just little remarks like that. But so far it is the only agency I can find to do that VRBO is another favorite and I can set up a favorite list but I can't view them all on one page and make notes. I have been book marking all of my favorites so I can have quick reference to them but short of getting a pad of paper and pen out how can I quickly make a page where I have all of them listed and make all sorts of notes to compare? I have no idea how to make a spread sheet or page on Word or anything so would have to be talked through that. Thanks. I'm going to have to take some of you with me!!!

Joyce, Indinaa
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Anamika:smile: Yay for the water weight being gone:bigsmile: !!!! Stay cool!!!

Kim:smile: 1000, 2000 calories for lunch:noway: ...what size are the portions they serve? It would have to be a special occasion for me to spend that many calories on one meal! Good for you finding something more reasonable!

Joyce:smile: Wish I could help, but....I need help in that area too. I`m lucky I`ve got a great computer tech guy as a friend, he usually answers my questions before I finish asking:laugh: ! Hopefully someone here can help you out!

Michele:smile: It`s going to be a hot day today, enjoy the pool:smokin: !

Time to go:grumble: ! Have a great day ladies! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC:glasses:
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All, So glad we are coming up on a holiday week-end. I can really use the extra day. My yard neds attention, laundry needs caught up and the list goes on. I worked Monday and Tuesday nights and will also work tonight and tomorrow night. I volunteered to watch the grandkids Friday night since my DSIL goes to third shift next week and that's what shift he will probably be on when the new baby arrives. With this being number three I figure they won't have a chance to go out alone for a while.
    Last night I did cycling and rope class again, I also did the 30 minute strength & tone class here at work. I'm somewhat sore in the back and shoulders, I'd imagine from the ropes.
    I've been practicing my core exercises, making sure my form is right so when I start instructing my ab class I'll be able to show all the exercises correctly. I'm excited about the class. I actually have 38 people signed up but don't expect they will all show and those who do, some will drop out because they feel it's to hard or to easy.
    Tonight I have the two high school boys to train and that's it. I will go home afterwards instead of working out at the Y I'll work out at home while doing laundry, otherwise I'll be in a pickle as I'm pretty much out of clean clothing.

Grandmallie, Wow, I bet you are so looking forward to the girls coming, I know you’ll have a super time.

Margaret, Thanks for the info on heart attacks, I have it printed and sitting on my desk to share.

Nena, I love anything cooked on the grill. Hamburgers are one of the best.

Sylvia, Love the slogan and the smaller pants!

Sylvia and Joyce, You are both motivating me, I want to feel that amazement too.

Robin, I’m happy to hear Bodi is improving.

Have a healthy and happy day, welcome to the newbies and prayers to all with struggles and pain.

Patty, Cincinnati OH
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    I am up and staggering litterally... I think the allergies have finally caught up with me:indifferent: :frown:
    after my race walk yesterday I came home and sneezed ,sneezed, sneezed... i did flonase this morning, but last night took nyquil.. slept like a rock,but always wake up in a fog with that stuff,and I am on my second cup of tea.. which is highly unusual...
    I dont feel up to any exercise today.. just blotto
    our associate Dr will be leaving at the end of the month to become an Oral surgeon..so he is taking us all out for lunch today...
    he is a great dentist, he and his wife are expecting a baby in September and yesterday they just had to put down there almost 18 yr old cocker spaniel:sad:
    so we will be getting another associate soon...
    going into work at 10:30 then we have a 2 hr break for lunch. I have looked at the menu, and feeling like I do, might just have pasta fagnoli and a salad..
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

Michele I was sad to see James go. My favorite dance this season was their dance to frozen. I was glad to see Meryl and Mak win. I actually called in and voted for them. They were spectacular.

Have a great day everyone. Have to get ready for work.
    :heart:
    Margaret
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

I spent most of yesterday in the gardens, burned a lot of calories:smile: . Today is another day for planting, the wind has calmed down a bit thank goodness. I am a DWTS fan as many of you are, I am so happy to see Maks and Meryl win. Wasn't it funny when Charlie did the Mary Poppins routine and had another issue with the props?:laugh: He handled it well.

Have a great day ladies and be good to yourselves!

Cindy in OK
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hi, Just wanted to say that I watched the finale for DWTS and am truly happy Max and Merle won, they were magical this season. I also love Amy and Derek and after an initial let down would have been happy if they won as well. This season was the best I can remember and I liked more of the celeb's than ever before. I have to say my opinion of third would have been different, but that's just my opinion. Sad to see the season end and wondering if anything will come of Max and Merle now.....
    Patty
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,936 Member
    Options
    I am still lurking.

Rita from CT
  • barbiecat
    Options

Today I had a late lunch with a friend and she wanted to try the Black Bear Diner – I said ok before I had looked at the menu on line..:grumble: it is a chain – not sure where all it is – but OMG the calorie counts are crazy high!!!! :huh: Most everything over 1,000 calories and a huge percentage over 2,000! And that was just a single serving thing… and on their version of a “light” menu section – that stuff was still 600-700 calories just more than I spend on lunch – So after reading everything I ended up with ½ a ham sandwich with a side salad dressing on the side. That was 350 and that was fine; there was one other thing in the 400 range and then over the moon. The sandwich was fine, but really hate to pay restaurant prices for a piece of bread with lunch meat. Man am I being whiny!!! Sorry I’ll be avoiding this place. :grumble:

Off to get some sleep!
    Kim in N. Cal.

KIm, when I go to Black Bear Diner, I order a grilled chicken breast with a side of steamed vegetables and sliced tomatoes. I look at restaurant menus to see what ingredients they have and then order exactly what I want and specify no sauce, cheese, dressing, croutons, bread etc. Usually my meal looks better than whatever the others have ordered.:bigsmile:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pat in OH: I’ve been happy with my Apple products and service. My DH had his iphone 5 replaced after being repaired several times because it was a lemon. There was no hassle or difficulty. They do stand by their products. We have the opportunity to go to the iphone store and visit the Genius Bar to get help with our products, and the Genius Bar people fixed my laptop that is now 5 years old. I had to pay for parts, and that is all.:flowerforyou:

Joyce: The easiest software I have for spreadsheets is Excel. I’d put the criterion across the top such as location, distance, cost, number of bedrooms & bathrooms, special features, and the name of the listing down the side. Good luck. Save after every entry.:drinker:

Alison: Best wishes for a speedy recovery.:flowerforyou:

Rita: I’m happy you’re lurking. I hope things are improving for you.:flowerforyou:

A longtime friend and former coworker is coming out for lunch today. We’re planning to go to a restaurant, but haven’t decided on one as yet. I favor the local Asian places because the food can be ordered without sodium and is healthy and tasty that way. I wonder what she’ll want. I haven’t seen her since she had surgery in January.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

May Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least two glasses of water daily.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Last night there was a troubling incident at the oldest granddaughters Girl Scout meeting. They have their meetings at an elementary school where there is a playground on the north side of the building next to the parking lot. Their meeting is over at 8:00, and when I got there at 7:30 they were finished and cleaning up. She asked me if she could go out to the playground and play with the other girls for a little while. So we were starting to go toward the doors to the playground when the leader's daughter came up to us and said, oh no, that is the playground for the little kids. The big kid playground is on the other side. She pointed us toward the doors on the south side of the building. So, DGD and I went out to that playground and she played on the equipment. I thought the other girls would be coming out soon, but they never did. GDG played by herself the whole time. I didn't know what had happened, but thought maybe the other girls parents had come and picked them up already. Then, as we were driving out of the parking lot we saw all the other girls and the leader at the other playground! I was mad as hell! How could they be so mean? Poor Adrienne had tears in her eyes when she told me, that's ok, grandma, that kind of stuff happens a lot. So, I called the leader and asked her why that happened and she told me she didn't know that happened, but the girls told her that we had left. She was just sure they didn't intend to be mean, and that she thought Adrienne was fitting in well. Still, she thought maybe we should look for a different troop. What the heck?!!

Poor Adrienne has a lot of trouble making friends. She does tend to think she knows everything and can be a little bossy, but I thought Girl Scouts would be a good place for her to make friends. So, I'm really unsure what to do next. This was the last meeting before their summer break, but it turns out that they had a two day camp out coming up but nobody told Adrienne or me until I was talking to the leader on the phone last night and she reluctantly told me that Adrienne could come if she wanted to. Now why would I subject her to that for two days if they won't even play with her for 15 minutes.

Ok, end of rant.

I hope you are all having a great Tuesday!

Sylvia
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,

I am going to apologize in advance for my rant. I had a rough weekend. My dog bit someone. My husband and I were out gardening. Hubby was in the back putting in his vegetable garden, and I was out front putting in my flowers. I was facing our house (back to the street). I was also on the phone. I might mention that we are in a development that has no outlet. People rarely come in unless they are visiting someone. We are also at the end of a cul-de-sac. Our dog was not leashed, but was lying in the grass. He rarely goes off the property unless he sees a small animal (rabbit, squirrel, etc.) The fact is, he should have been leashed, and wasn't. Anyway, a guy approached our house and came onto our property. I think he was a solicitor because he had pamphlets of some kind. Milo charged him barking like crazy. I don’t know if Milo thought he was protecting me or what. He’s never bitten anyone before. It seemed to be a quick nip, but unfortunately, he bit him on his private parts (that’s just about where his head comes on a human). I was hysterical. My husband, who thinks Milo can do no wrong, denied that the guy was bitten at first (he later apologized). Long story short, we called 911 and had an ambulance come and pick the guy up from down the street where he wandered after the incident. Animal control came a few hours later and we were issued a citation. We were told the guy was treated for a laceration. He did come back to our home after he was released to get our insurance information. Our homeowners said they will pay the claim since it happened on our property. Fortunately, we had all of the proper paperwork (license, shots, etc.). Still, Milo is quarantined for ten days to our home. Milo is used to being walked, and having problems with bathroom issues. I think the guy is alright, but I wish I had more information. I only know his name and nothing else. I am also scared we could be sued. I had to give a recorded deposition on the phone to my insurance company. They also called him for his version, but I don’t know what he said. Milo has always had anxiety issues. He was a rescue dog. He is very large. Most people think he is adorable and a sweetheart, but I know he can be aggressive even though he never actually bit anyone in the past. I don’t know why I am writing all this. I guess I just need to vent a little. Please pray for a good outcome. I have been freaking out since this happened.:cry:

I hope everyone is doing well. I haven’t read the posts yet, but will do so when I get the chance. I need to get my mind off of this.

Previous and Current Goals:

Consistent logging (Could be better)
    Drink at least 9 glasses of water a day (70%)
    Find an exercise class I enjoy (NOT YET-STILL LOOKING!!!)
    RUNNING OUTDOORS (Started, but hoping to be more consistent)
    LOWER SODIUM FOODS (Not lately!)
    STOP OBSESSING ABOUT FOOD (Hmmmmm…..)

Congrats to all on their success, and (((hugs))) to all who are struggling.

Hugs,
    Lucy in DE.:frown:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    Kim - I'm with you on restaurant food. I can't see any point in going out to have what you could have better and much cheaper at home. We rarely go out to eat and when we do I want to have something I rarely, if ever, cook at home. I don't have a deep fat fryer, so good old British fish and chips is a possibility, or it used to be until I started my "makeover"¡!!!!! These days I either go to a really top end place, about two or three times a year, or somewhere that does shellfish, like oysters, clams or mussels. I rarely cook those now I live in the countryside, but in London I did because we lived in a multicultural area and they love their seafood! I do often cook squid as I can buy that here. When we lived in Whitstable I had oysters every weekend at the harbour, so that kind of spoilt my normal restaurant treat. Now I hardly ever have them so that is something I look out for. If people ask me to go out,, unless I know that the place has something really special to offer, I always say, "Oh, why don't you come to my place!" I much prefer that. I do like a really good pizza though, but I obviously can't have that more than twice a year! By good I mean wood fired oven, very thin crust and it must have anchovies! I once went to a pizza chain with friends and asked for extra anchovies. They said they didn't do anchovies. I nearly fell off my chair! ! ! !
    The jist of all this ramble is I hate paying restaurant mark up for inferior food or food I could cook myself. Of course, sometimes you are away from home and you just have to eat something! On June 16th I have an appointment at the hospital knee clinic and I will go into town earlt so I can eat at a seafood chain called Loch Fyne. I will be having oysters followed by mussels. Heaven! My yoga friend could be joining me, but if not I will take a book and just enjoy!

Just finished putting up the runner bean poles and planting the beans. Do you call them string beans? Then we planted two big pots of geraniums, one scarlet and one shocking pink. They are in full view of our living room so super colourful. I picked some broad beans and have blanched them in readiness for a pasta dish of prawns, scallions, garlic, chillies, broad beans and white wine. I buy little tiny bottles of wine when they are on offer so I am not tempted to drink the rest of the bottle. Oh, also parsley and arugula, which we have masses of. We call it rocket. I might be good and have shiritaki noodles instead of tagliatelle. :cry:

I've just arranged all the tins and jars we brought back from France on a side unit in the kitchen. It looks very pretty, especially the fish tins packed in Brittany with lovely old fashioned designs and lettering. It gives me enormous pleasure when I look at them, not the least because I am in love with the French language and it is a reminder for me.

Well, now I am going to watch a German film about Hannah Arendt!:laugh:

Bye for now, Heather in flowery and fabulous Hampshire UK

PS Sylvia - just seen your post. My son #1 was not socially adept and I did worry about him. I had to train him how to walk into the playground and smile at people, because otherwise he was bullied. He still struggles with life and I still worry about him. I hope things settle down with your granddaughter. You are doing a wonderful job.
  • karinaApplebombinos
    karinaApplebombinos Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thank God every day is a new day, and I for one am looking forward to today...