Wondering about beverage calories

Options
2»

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I use to track those little things but don't anymore. I think it's really a personal preference.....everyone will have a different answer. I don't track my booze/juice/milk and still lose, so....

Your "goal" calories are also set to a ludicrously low level of 1100 (how did you even do that I thought MFP would never go below 1200). So yeah, you have some room for extra calories in there and still lose weight. Thing is you have no idea what your daily intake is. Booze juice and milk all have a lot of calories, more calories than many of the things you log that you have eaten.
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    i would say yes. because you if you could be going over your calorie goal or not.
    when i log i log everything no matter what it is so i know how well i am doing and if i am aloud that afternoon snack.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Depends on your daily deficit and how many unlogged calories you consume (from all sources.) 100 calories here, 75 there: can add up. And wipe out your deficit.

Personally I don't feel full when I drink calories so I mostly try not to. Occasionally drink milk or some lower-sugar fruit juice, but mainly try to eat solid dairy & actual fruit. Personal choice, just because I tend to have higher calories (total) when I drink alot of calories.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    One pretty small glass of juice can be like 150 calories, even fresh juice with no sugar added. If you're on a smaller calorie deficit, that can add up fast to inhibit your loss. Especially if you're not logging other food totally accurately (weighing and measuring everything.)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Track everything you put in your mouth.

well not everything :bigsmile:

to the OP I log my 1cup of diet cranberry pom juice that has 10 calories...I don't log my diet coke or water it doesn't have calories...my coffee does, my milk etc all gets logged.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    every single calorie counts. when I started tracking my food, I about fell over when I realized that the "little bit" of powdered creamer I was adding to my 20oz mug of coffee two or three times a day .....added up to like 300-400 calories per cup ( I like a little "coffee" in my creamer)

wow.... a big wake up call when I realized I was drinking 800-1200 calories of nasty office coffee --- wasn't even the good stuff!!! I have since acquired a taste for black coffee with an occasional splurge on a large nonfat latte from Starbucks or Caribou -- if I am going to spend some of my calories on a cup of coffee, you can bet it's going to be a good one!!!

so yeah, tracking EVERYTHING makes a difference.... I even track my gummie vitamins and calcium supplements. They equal 45 calories. I do stop short of tracking diet sodas, though.... if it is zero calories, I don't track.
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Track it all!
    Think about it, it's totally feasible to have the following in a day (and this is being super conservative):
    -a large double-double tim horton's coffee 270 calories
    -a large glass of milk with your breakfast 172 calories (for 2 cups skim)
    -a can of coke at lunch 248 calories
    -a glass of apple juice in the afternoon (234 for 2 cups)
    -a glass of red wine at dinner 160 calories
    TOTAL UN-ACCOUNTED FOR: 1084 calories in just one day

If you are aiming for a 2 pound weight loss, you are working with a 1000 calorie deficit and not logging these drinks wipe out the ENTIRE deficit and more!
  • dayspoon
    dayspoon Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you so much for the input, guys!
    Apologies to those of you who found this to be an asinine question.. It was legitimate coming from someone who's never dieted based solely on calorie intake. Really a whole new realm to me.
    But I can see that the majority is on the same page, here. So thank you!
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I track everything. Coffee and tea don't have many calories but I still record them or I quick add cals for them at the very least. Creamers, skim milk, honey, sugar packets, juice, everything. I'd be hundreds of calories off in any given day if I didn't.
  • forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you track drinks? Being in liquid form doesn't somehow make a calorie any less a calorie.
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have 2 cups of coffee a day and measure out 5 tablespoons of fat free creamer in each cup. It comes to 300 calories for my 2 cups coffee with fat free creamer! YES YOU HAVE TO LOG IT
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Wondering how strict you guys are on logging drink calories? I log things like smoothies and frappes, but that's really it.
    Is it imperative to track my calorie intake from things like milk, fruit juice, and fat-free creamer in my coffee to achieve my weight loss goal in my allotted time?

I'll appreciate any advice! Thanks!!

I used to think of skim milk as "water: with bonus calcium and protein!" (I grew up in a "low fat = healthy" family.)

Then I started counting calories and realized how much my milk consumption was adding up. It makes a big difference! Especially when all my glasses are pint glasses -- so I'm usually drinking 1.5-2 servings instead of 1 unless I measure (which I always do now!)
    Most mugs and glasses these days are 12-16 oz, not 8 oz.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have 2 cups of coffee a day and measure out 5 tablespoons of fat free creamer in each cup. It comes to 300 calories for my 2 cups coffee with fat free creamer! YES YOU HAVE TO LOG IT

fat free=extra sugar...not that sugar is bad but that is why there are the extra calories.

Try regular creamer...I am in Canada so I use 10%MF cream aka cereal cream.